SASS Wire Forum

28TH ANNUAL FORT MILLER SHOOTOUT, APRIL 13-15,2023

Dusty Devil Dale

20190214_121615.thumb.jpg.0d5cec3278f9340561a25c67c0de3667.jpgIf you like the "Cowboy" part of CAS shooting, then you will want to get signed up for the 28th Annual Shootout at Ft Miller.  The 3-day event will feature a 2-day, 11-stage Main Match serving a tall order.  

You'll save the town from Joaquin Murietta's outlaw gang, clear out a bunch of Pinkerton security agents from Etta's Place for Butch and Sundance, high-grade a gold mine,  spring one of the Dalton brothers out of the pokey,   ride an ore cart down into a mine pit to run off  claim jumpers, hunt up some (flying) camp meat, save a wagon load of gold from highwaymen and defend Fort Miller against an attack by a  renegade band of  Monaches.  

If the Main Match doesn't keep you busy enough,  there'll be a full prior day of side matches, including long range, speed events, and  warm up stages. 

There'll also be an ice cream social, a catered awards banquet, and a big raffle featuring a new Dillon XL750 loader, a Treager portable BBQ and more.  

So get signed up and hitch your team for the springtime ride to Fort Miller.   This will be a fun three days of western shooting.  Dry camping is free.

Details and sign-up at kingsriverregulators.com.  Don't delay -- the event is limited to the first 100 entrants and it is filling up real fast!

Twenty-Eight Years??

Wow!  That old adage about time flyin' when you're havin' fun IS true!  :lol:

Lordy, I remember the first one - and a whole bunch since then.  The first was a ton o' fun, and they just keep gettin' better ever year.  Seriously, the skill, talent, imagination and energy of the Kings River Regulators makes this a memorable event indeed.  Scenarios are imaginative and do-able, props, scenery, and stages are world-class... and the Regulators put on a heck of an event!

Many years ago, I think it was Tex hisself (or was it Hipshot?  Heck, I was there, but I'm old) who said the KRR was "the best kept secret in SASS!" ^_^

And this event is the club in peak form!  :) 

I’m in.

17 hours ago, Waimea said:

Sounds like a fun match.

Where is Ft Miller?

Kings River Regulators' range is located about a dozen mi north of Clovis/Fresno, Ca. in the rural foothills of the Sierra-Nevadas.  I believe there is a map posted on our website.  If not I will upload one there soon.  Our website is kingsriverregulators.com.

You are right, it will be a fun match.  Our range is near the site of the historic Gold Rush town of Millerton and its attached Army outpost, Ft. Miller (both are now beneath Millerton Reservoir).

During the mid to late 1800s, Major John Savage policed the San Joaquin Valley and its  foothills with 40 Fort Miller mounted  troops.  In a colorful history, they apprehended claim jumpers, stage robbers,  tribal horse thieves and outlaws between Stockton and Ft. Tejon, located 80 miles to the south.  On two occasions, they defended the Fort itself from attacks:  One by the outlaw gang of  Joaquin Murietta, and the other by a renegade group of  Monache-Ute horse thieves over from Owens Valley. 

Our club  is respectful of that colorful history.  Accordingly, many of our KRR cowboy matches have a distinct western flavor and story lines.  Shooting stages have a variety of close to medium range targets in easy but interesting arrays and scenarios. 

Ft. Miller is a fun event for its size.  It is one of the very earliest of CAS venues.  This year, most of  the stage scenarios will have you outgunned up to 20:1, so you'll have to shoot fast--- or have your affairs in order.

The photo shows Sinful giving his excellent  "Transitions" class to a group at last year's FM event.  

20210416_114158.thumb.jpg.0bfb5032402081f5f409c5856ab0b5b8.jpg

On 2/9/2023 at 4:55 PM, Mad Dog Jack, SASS #77862 said:

I really liked the Ore Cart stage. Very challenging!

It's challenging allright; especially shooting clay birds from the fast moving cart.  It is a hugely popular stage every year.  This year, you will be able ride and shoot it as many times as you like, as a warm-up side match. 

Great fun!

Personally, I'm intending to win the Dillon XL750 in the big raffle -- or the Treager BBQ, or the primers -- maybe even win the match, if I practice 8 hrs a day every day until mid April.  

(Dream on!)

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Personally, I'm intending to win the Dillon XL750 in the big raffle -- or the Treager BBQ, or the primers -- maybe even win the match, if I practice 8 hrs a day every day until mid April.  

(Dream on!)

I believe you can do it!

Thanks for posting this DDD. This is a super fun match that just cannot be missed. It's worth it just to go for a ride-and-shoot on the mine car. Great stages, great range, and an all around super match!!!!

See you there!!!!

RR

If you come to shoot the Ft. Miller Shoot-out, you'll be able to view this engineering marvel! 

The roof span on one of our  shooting bays was too long and at risk of sagging.   We didn't want to put a post under it.  Instead we used a DIY Sky-hook.  20230215_125803.thumb.jpg.d5c6b607f86d9860eef5f2ab5199a5c0.jpg

Fort Miller Match registrations are coming in daily now and we expect the 100 shooter cap to fill up by mid March.  So if you want to shoot our historic 28th Annual match (and particularly if you have 'shoot-with" requests), don't hesitate.  Posses will be assigned soon.  Download registration forms at kingsriverregulators.com.

It will be eleven  stages of cowboy fun this year, preceeded by a full day of speed matches, long range, and other side events, including practicing your skills shooting from a fast moving ore cart.   

So saddle up with friends and come shoot with us, dry camp with us (free), help us chase off claim jumpers, and maybe win yourself a new Dillon 750XL, complete with case loader, in our banquet/raffle.  (Only 200 tickets will be sold !)

Fort Miller is truly a very different event with an authentic  'Western Cowboy' flavor, located at our Kings River Regulators range -- a classic western gold rush town setting.   

Three days of pure fun, April 15-17. 

• 2 weeks later...

There's still time to sign up for this one.  It promises to be fun and to live up to its reputation as a traditional Cowboy Action event. Come and ride the ore cart with us.

• 3 weeks later...

Cowboys and cowgirls...

The deadline date for registering for this match is April 8. Super fun and challenging stages, great folks. A not-to-miss match.

You can download a registration form by CLICKING HERE.

Come shoot it with us!!!

RR

Archived