SASS Wire Forum

Re-setting a car's in dash CD player

Chantry

I had the car battery die on me while the in dash CD player was playing.  Since the car battery was replaced  the CD player does not recognize the CD's currently loaded, but also won't eject them.  Any ideas on how to re-set the CD player?

On edit: 2004 Mercury Milan  aka Ford Fusion aka Lincoln MKZ  and I've tried unplugging the positive cable from the battery with no luck

8 minutes ago, Chantry said:

I had the car battery die on me while the in dash CD player was playing.  Since the car battery was replaced  the CD player does not recognize the CD's currently loaded, but also won't eject them.  Any ideas on how to re-set the CD player?

Old info, but when I worked for a GM dealer, we charged a mere $95 to reprogram all the stuff that stopped when a battery died or was disconnected. Took the tech about 5 minutes and left the car in the bay for an hour so the customer would think it was a lot of work.

1 minute ago, Rip Snorter said:

Be worth a try to pull the battery terminal with the deck switched on, shut it off, then reconnect the battery and turn it on. 

..... that'd be sorta like hitting it with a sledge-hammer .... :)

4 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

..... that'd be sorta like hitting it with a sledge-hammer .... :)

Could be! In the old days we would pull the battery on laptops for a while when there was a problem.  Often worked.  

What brand of car and deck is it.

Wife had a Mercedes and you had to enter a code to get the radio to work if it lost power. I have seen aftermarket systems that also did that. They usually come with a card that has the code on it. Sometimes it is written in the owners manual.

Howdy,

Get out the owners manual and look for any sort of cd player info.

Any little slips of paper or handwriitten codes might be lurking there.

I had to reset the tire pressure warning system a few times.

Each car can be different.

Dealer will help and charge whatever.....outch.

Best

CR

Some radios have a keep alive power supply to remember presets when the power goes off.

Pull the NEGATIVE cable not the positive wait 20 and reset

14 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Well you can always take it to a mechanic !!!

I'd like the CD player back, but I'm not paying a mechanic money

16 minutes ago, Chantry said:

I'd like the CD player back, but I'm not paying a mechanic money

Might not be as expensive as you think. Just ask them !

Holding down power and eject on the radio at the same time didn't work with or without the power on.  I could hear the CD player trying to eject the CD, but it wouldn't come out.  Not the end of the world, just means I'll keep using my small iPod plugged into the car's sound system, anything to avoid hearing the same songs and commercials over and over.

7 hours ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

Is there a tiny hole in the front of the device somewhere near corner?  IF so, a paperclip opened up and stuck into it may release the CD.

I agree with Muleshoe’s suggestion.

9 hours ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

Is there a tiny hole in the front of the device somewhere near corner?  IF so, a paperclip opened up and stuck into it may release the CD.

Not that I remember

Well, the next thing that has worked for me in the past is to use a credit card (or one of those grocery store rewards cards) to "help" the CD eject.

I have had luck getting the card under the leading edge of the CD and cycling eject to help pop it over whatever it is hitting.

The CD may be heat-warped or the rubber parts in the drive may be aged out, or both.

Should this work, I would be cautious using the recovered CD in another drive or putting a new CD into the car deck.

Archived