SASS Wire Forum

Alliant PROMO

Ace Hanlon

Does anyone have cowboy load data for the subject powder using pink wads and 1 once of shot they would share? I have been using 12.5 grains of Alliant Red Dot. Thanks

6 minutes ago, Ace Hanlon said:

12.5 grains of Alliant Red Dot

Same weight of Promo.  The powder is manufactured to EXACTLY perform the same as Red Dot when the weight of powder dropped is the same.  (No guarantee the same BUSHING you use for RD in a shotshell loader will drop the same weight of Promo though).

12.5 grains of Red Dot or Promo with an ounce of shot is a LIGHT load indeed.  Mine run more like 15 grains in a STS hull.    And my Sporting Clays load is around 18.5 grains.  I don't know how you have enough stack height to make a nice folded crimp down at 12.5 grains RD and the CB 1100-12 wad.....

good luck, GJ

That is what I use for smokeless. 12.5 grains Red Dot, pink wad, 1 oz shot. Sometimes I change to 700x but use the same bushing. 700x weighs a bit more but does just fine. Have not found any fallers that do not go down with this load.

JJ

34 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Same weight of Promo.  The powder is manufactured to EXACTLY perform the same as Red Dot when the weight of powder dropped is the same.  (No guarantee the same BUSHING you use for RD in a shotshell loader will drop the same weight of Promo though).

12.5 grains of Red Dot or Promo with an ounce of shot is a LIGHT load indeed.  Mine run more like 15 grains in a STS hull.    And my Sporting Clays load is around 18.5 grains.  I don't know how you have enough stack height to make a nice folded crimp down at 12.5 grains RD and the CB 1100-12 wad.....

good luck, GJ

Thats where an overshot card comes in!

Ace,

I use Win AA hulls,Claybuster CB0175(Pink)wads, 12.7 grains of Promo (mec #22 bushing, and about 365 grains of #7 1/2 shot.

I adjusted the shot charge to get the crimp I wanted.Its really close to 7/8 of an ounce.

Very little recoil but it takes down the SG targets with no problem.

Of course,YMMV

Choctaw Jack

59 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Whose Pink wads????

Color of the wad means nothing. What is the wad #?

Claybuster cb1100-12

I use Red Dot and Promo interchangeably.  1 ounce of shot.  I don’t change the bushing on the Mec.  I do check the weight of the powder.  Anywhere between 13 and 14 grains works fine.

Well, I use 10.3 gr Red Dot with 1oz shot Winchester AA hull, pink wads & sometimes white wads. To me it's a good load and knocks the targets good.

Clay Buster White wads, CB4-100-12B, 12gauge, 7/8 - 1oz.

Clay Buster Pink wads, CB 1100-12, 12 gauge, 1oz.  

19 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Whose Pink wads????

Color of the wad means nothing. What is the wad #?

Clay Buster Pink Wads CB1100-12, 12gauge, 1oz shot.    Clay Buster white Wads, CB4-100-12B, 12 gauge, 7/8oz to 1oz.

Archived