SASS Wire Forum

Who here likes fruitcake?

Pat Riot

If you’re interested in buying or trying a fruitcake again and you find some on Amazon I recommend you go to the customer reviews section and select “see all” or see photos below. Start at the worst reviews and work your way up. 
I didn’t do this and bought a couple of fruitcakes that were someone’s idea of what a fruitcake should be. :angry:
By the pound fruitcake can be pretty pricey.

Also look for the word “sponsored” in the Amazon listing. Sponsored doesn’t necessarily mean delicious. It could mean dry and tasteless. 

ECD132DB-C1CC-4BE0-8D8D-557FC896BB21.thumb.jpeg.4305614c3e2df013b7b64a0a57fe8353.jpeg

DF503460-7309-4BF8-A793-9D2A16FFD431.thumb.jpeg.c53363b0a9dfb8d14ae4a5eaa93f7ef8.jpeg

I don’t eat fruitcake!  I don’t particularly care for it and there are many other things that suit my palate better!

Schoolmarm eats fruitcake! She loves good fruitcake! 

Badger Mountain Charlie’s wife made what Schoolmarm says was the best fruitcake ever!!!

Badger would send her one every Christmas!!

I really miss ol’ Badger!

3 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

My Father was a Fruit Cake maker par excelence.

His Father owned and operated a small bakery chain, in Hamilton and Toronto, Ontario, Canada, called Buttercrust Bakeries.

Dad used his Father's recipes for the ones he made.

Friends and family used to start hinting for one in the late fall when he would start making some and starting the process he used.

I recall cheese cloth, tins, rum and a LOT of dried fruit seemed to be involved.

Any nuts?

19 hours ago, Redleg Reilly, SASS #46372 said:

Here ya go - the best fruitcake I've ever had and straight from Texas!  https://collinstreet.com/regular-deluxe-fruitcake

Only problem I can see is there isn't a fruitcake on this planet worth that much.  Not even mine

19 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Any nuts?

Just his only son.

0d33d01ce1cbd45c2bd9373e7e2cd59a.jpg

On 2/6/2023 at 2:05 PM, Yul Lose said:

I love fruit cake. I used to visit my grandparents and my grandmother would toast slices of fruitcake and smear creamed cheese on them for breakfast, probably not good for you but man was it good. Costco used to sell a really good fruitcake but I haven’t seen it there in quite awhile.

I tried this. Thank you for that. It’s pretty darn good. I toasted Claxton fruitcake in my toaster oven and put cream cheese on it. Great with coffee. :D

ICK 

On 2/7/2023 at 8:24 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Only problem I can see is there isn't a fruitcake on this planet worth that much.  Not even mine

That price really isn't out of line.  To make mine in the fall my cost is about $12 to $15 each.  Even with their bulk purchases I can't imagine that their unit cost would be under $8.

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I tried this. Thank you for that. It’s pretty darn good. I toasted Claxton fruitcake in my toaster oven and put cream cheese on it. Great with coffee. :D

If not decadent, close to it.

On 2/7/2023 at 2:49 AM, Clay Mosby said:

If the fruitcake is moist and fruit heavy, I love them. Every Christmas season I order a 3 pack of Claxton fruitcakes.

Claxton Fruitcakes are available via Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Claxton+Fruit+Cake&i=grocery&crid=17C5L5SFSXP09&sprefix=claxton+fruit+cake%2Cgrocery%2C73&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

6 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Darn, I was going to add that Sam’s Club has them at a better price than Amazon, but apparently that is only around Christmas time. At least at Sam’s Club in my area. 

Archived