SASS Wire Forum

Who here likes fruitcake?

Pat Riot

I like fruitcake. I always have. 
This morning my wife asked me what I wanted for breakfast. I decided I wanted fruitcake. She gave me this look of “How can you eat that stuff?” :lol:
Currently I have 3 lbs of Claxton fruitcake in the freezer. I just finished up a pound that was in the fridge. It’s pretty darn good, but my favorite is this fruitcake made in a bakery in Atlanta Georgia. It comes in plain plastic wrap with this generic looking gold label. This one can only be found at Christmas and usually it sits in supermarket chains near the produce and bakery section in its own little shelving unit. I guess they have no idea where it should be. I couldn’t find that fruitcake around here and I couldn’t find it online. 
I am pretty happy that Sam’s Club carries the Claxton fruitcake. It’s pretty darn good with coffee in the morning. 

So, who here likes fruitcake?

Me too. My Grandmother made the greatest fruitcake I have ever tasted. Took her months to make it and then wrap it in cheesecloth and marinate it with rum.

And me. The Claxton tastes like the fruitcake my mama used to make.

I find it sort of amazing that so many people over here talk about how they despise fruitcake, and the only thing fruitcake is good for is throwing at the dog that's getting into garbage can.

But I read a lot of English novels, and they eat fruit cake all the time. Not just at Christmas, but year round.

Of course they also eat scrambled eggs on toast, and pork and beans for breakfast, so what do they know. :P

I love my grandmother's boiled fruitcake recipe.  It's very versatile in its contents and they are all good.  Real PITA to make so I only bring it out a few times a year.

Grandma said "it's a fruit cake for people who don't like fruit cake."

Love it.  Great for breakfast with a couple of cups of coffee.

I haven't had a commercial, mass produced fruitcake that I would buy again, but they aren't that hard to make.  I use either the Betty Crocker Dark Fruitcake receipt or the one from the Fanny Farmer Baking Book.  I do almost double the spices and add more fruit to both.

I like it!! No one in my family ever made it though! A neighbor of ours made a killer fruit cake!! Sadly shes gone now though. 

When I was in third grade I was 7 years old at Christmas time. A package came for my Nanny (grandmother) from one of her cousins. It was a heavy round tin. She laughed about how she ended up with “the family fruitcake” this year. Anyway, she put it on “the Christmas goody table” where all the candy dishes and fruit bowls were so anyone could help themselves. 
One evening I ask d my Mom if I could get something off the table. There were chocolates, pastries, fruits, nuts and other goodies. She said yes so I grabbed a plate and opened the fruitcake tin, pealed back the layers of plastic and wax paper a cut a hunk out of it. I sat down in front of the TV and had my first fruitcake. It was delicious. The next day I had more. That evening my Nanny noticed the lid on the fruitcake tin was askew. She took the lid off and blurted out

“Who’s been eating this fruitcake?”.
I thought I was in deep trouble. I told her it was me.
She said something like “Honey, do you feel okay? Did it make you sick?” 

I told her I felt fine “Why?”

At this point my Dad and Mom came over. 
My Dad asked “Mom, is that the old fruitcake everybody has been sending around to each other year after year?”

My Nanny said “Yes, this thing is old as the hills!”

She tested it and said “Well I’ll be. It seems fine and tastes great!”

Apparently that fruitcake was a family joke. Every year it got sent to a different family member. No one ever opened it. It would be put on display for Christmas then stored and then around Thanksgiving it would be boxed up and shipped to someone else. 
My Nanny told me she thought the thing had been made possibly 15 years before. 
That was the last year for that fruitcake. I ate it. :D

I have never had a better fruitcake since. 

I love fruit cake. I used to visit my grandparents and my grandmother would toast slices of fruitcake and smear creamed cheese on them for breakfast, probably not good for you but man was it good. Costco used to sell a really good fruitcake but I haven’t seen it there in quite awhile.

56 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Costco used to sell a really good fruitcake but I haven’t seen it there in quite awhile.

There is probably a 4 year supply sitting on the docks in LA. Since it isn't really a perishable product, some will eventually get to a store near you.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

When I was in third grade I was 7 years old at Christmas time. A package came for my Nanny (grandmother) from one of her cousins. It was a heavy round tin. She laughed about how she ended up with “the family fruitcake” this year. Anyway, she put it on “the Christmas goody table” where all the candy dishes and fruit bowls were so anyone could help themselves. 
One evening I ask d my Mom if I could get something off the table. There were chocolates, pastries, fruits, nuts and other goodies. She said yes so I grabbed a plate and opened the fruitcake tin, pealed back the layers of plastic and wax paper a cut a hunk out of it. I sat down in front of the TV and had my first fruitcake. It was delicious. The next day I had more. That evening my Nanny noticed the lid on the fruitcake tin was askew. She took the lid off and blurted out

“Who’s been eating this fruitcake?”.
I thought I was in deep trouble. I told her it was me.
She said something like “Honey, do you feel okay? Did it make you sick?” 

I told her I felt fine “Why?”

At this point my Dad and Mom came over. 
My Dad asked “Mom, is that the old fruitcake everybody has been sending around to each other year after year?”

My Nanny said “Yes, this thing is old as the hills!”

She tested it and said “Well I’ll be. It seems fine and tastes great!”

Apparently that fruitcake was a family joke. Every year it got sent to a different family member. No one ever opened it. It would be put on display for Christmas then stored and then around Thanksgiving it would be boxed up and shipped to someone else. 
My Nanny told me she thought the thing had been made possibly 15 years before. 
That was the last year for that fruitcake. I ate it. :D

I have never had a better fruitcake since. 

Now that there was a great story!! Thanks Pat !!

When stationed in England, had some Brit friends that bragged on their Fruitcakes.  I wondered why.  Seems they received a square, wrapped (Brit cling wrap) air tight from a family member every year.  Always tossed 'em.  One year, they dropped one on the floor and the German Sheppard hauled butt for it.  Stopped dead, gave it two sniffs and walked away.  So they started using them as door stops.  Dogs never bothered 'em.

I tracked down that fruitcake that I liked so much that I bought in CA and OR. 
I could never figure out where it was made because the front label was very generic. 
4338EBA6-5B0B-43CD-B7A4-B7C61029917C.thumb.jpeg.28878143bb5a8e94923fe8617d5549a7.jpeg

The nutrition panel on the back never said who made it, but said it came from Atlanta GA.

I got lucky today and found this fruitcake listed on the Von’s supermarket website. I was able to enlarge the nutrition panel and it actually listed the bakery that made this fruitcake for the Von’s, Albertson’s, Shop & Save store chains. 
Benson’s Old Home Kitchens Bakery in Bogart, GA :D

Whenever I run out of Claxton fruitcake I am ordering some from Benson’s. Or whoever their distributor is. 

https://bensonsbakery.com/fruitcakes.html

23 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Is your preference a cake made in the summer and soaked in booze for five months?

I don’t believe I have had any like that since I was a kid. 

9 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I love fruit cake. I used to visit my grandparents and my grandmother would toast slices of fruitcake and smear creamed cheese on them for breakfast, probably not good for you but man was it good. Costco used to sell a really good fruitcake but I haven’t seen it there in quite awhile.

That sounds really good!  

i like[d[ fruit cake back in the late 50s-early 60s , my father would get a cristmas rum fruitcake from a salesman , dont recall where it came from but it was greatr , no one else liked it but i did , 

have not had any in decades , now i gotta look into it 

34 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That sounds really good!  

It was and it is. Whenever I come across one that’s how I eat most of it with dark roast coffee to wash it down.

My Father was a Fruit Cake maker par excelence.

His Father owned and operated a small bakery chain, in Hamilton and Toronto, Ontario, Canada, called Buttercrust Bakeries.

Dad used his Father's recipes for the ones he made.

Friends and family used to start hinting for one in the late fall when he would start making some and starting the process he used.

I recall cheese cloth, tins, rum and a LOT of dried fruit seemed to be involved.

Archived