SASS Wire Forum

Do not judge because of appearance

having been involved in architectur and construction , i wore a sportcoat and tie , even a suite from time to time , ive worked with folks that wore carharts and t-shirts and boots with dirt on them , what they did i couldnt do , i never looked down on a few holes or a little dirst , ot was a sign they were doing their job , 

i saw this thread go from a ball game to church and followed it well , found it interesting , been fun 

I know a man who was very wealthy and well known in the community, but to see him one would think he was just a poor old country man.  He walked into the bank in North Georgia and was in the lobby talking to all the other customers who knew him.  A new bank employee who did not know this man, eventually walked over to him and scolded him for interfering with the customers and asked him to leave if he didn't have banking business.  The man politely told him that he had business, and promptly walked into the manager's office and was greeted by the manager.  The man said that he wanted to make a withdrawal, so the manager asked him "how much".  The man simply said, "ALL OF IT".   The bank had to reach out to all the branches in order to compile the huge amount.  Thus was how a current new bank was formed.  All with the single deposit of a local man who was not as indigent as appeared to be.  

Never knew where the young bank employee that was terminated wound up.   

18 hours ago, Alpo said:

When I was a kid, Daddy wore a suit to church. Mama wore a dress with high heels. Us three boys wore slacks and sport coats and neckties and shiny leather shoes.

You got dressed up to go to church. You were showing respect for the church.

The generation before mine had a term - Sunday go to meeting clothes. You had the bib overalls and raggedy undershirts and mule crap covered work boots that you worked in all week. And then you had your good clothes that you went to church in. To show respect for the church.

Nobody does that anymore.

I quit going to church many many years ago, but I will see people as I drive by a church on Sunday. Bib overalls. Flannel shirts. Shorts, tank tops and flip-flops. That shows respect neither for the church nor for them.

Don't knock bib overalls.  

There was an old man who came to our church every Sunday in bib overalls.  He always wore a necktie and his clothes were fairly clean though worn.  He drove an old Studebaker pickup and parked away from everyone else before coming in and sitting it the back row. 

He didn't say much but Dad never failed to speak to him and talk for a short spell.  I asked who the old man was and Dad said "That's me forty years ago".

I later learned about my Dad's early life.  It was a surprising and inspirational story that I still remember almost word for word.

When the old man died he donated over a half million dollars to the church with instructions to help the poor folks in the congregation. 

That was one of the very few times I ever saw Dad cry.

6 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I like to go to a new car lot and browse in grubby clothes. Many salesmen won’t bother me.

One year near Christmas my wife and I went to the shopping mall to do the usual gift stuff and agreed to meet at the jewelry store at a certain time. She was nicely dressed, I was in my blue chambray work shirt and jeans.  I got there first, it was moderately busy, so I spent a few minutes browsing and then stood at the main counter/display case to, quite obviously, wait to be helped.  My wife came in, said hi to me, looked around for a few minutes, went to the other end of the main display case and had one of the clerks asking "How can I help you?" By this time I had been waiting maybe ten minutes, watching as the clerks helped everyone but me.

Lisa pointed to me and said something like, "He was here first and has been waiting a while." A clerk finally, grudgingly, came over and asked me how she could help me.   

Dad taught us not to judge people by their race, color, creed, social status, occupation, language, or means of dress and to try to respect everyone equally.....UNLESS they were infringing on me or mine in some way and then and take any reasonable steps to end it.

It worked for him for over 80 years, and for me until the near eve of my 81st birthday.

3 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

One year near Christmas my wife and I went to the shopping mall to do the usual gift stuff and agreed to meet at the jewelry store at a certain time. She was nicely dressed, I was in my blue chambray work shirt and jeans.  I got there first, it was moderately busy, so I spent a few minutes browsing and then stood at the main counter/display case to, quite obviously, wait to be helped.  My wife came in, said hi to me, looked around for a few minutes, went to the other end of the main display case and had one of the clerks asking "How can I help you?" By this time I had been waiting maybe ten minutes, watching as the clerks helped everyone but me.

Lisa pointed to me and said something like, "He was here first and has been waiting a while." A clerk finally, grudgingly, came over and asked me how she could help me.   

"I'm pretty well certain that you can't" would have been an appropriate response as you asked to speak the the manager.

11 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Some of the wealthiest people I've ever known dressed like they didn't give a sh!t, and that's just why, because they didn't.

I dressed like that just never been wealthy lol

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I call BS Joe, I've meet your wife a long time ago and I have seen you at civil war days. Your wife looks a hell  of a lot better then you. I would help your wife long before you lol :lol:

I'm not sure how the discussion took the turn it did, but I will say I have found it fascinating. I've always been of the mind that to dress as well as I could, appropriately, for an occasion was a way of showing respect for myself, those others attending, and the institution--be it church or otherwise. To look down on someone who is dressed poorly is as rude as not dressing as well as I can. It also shows disrespect for myself, others and the institution.

I generally dress relatively casual. Nothing that would cause someone to shy away from giving me service, or to come running in hopes of a big commission. I have gone into places knowing my dress was less than I would prefer, most recently at a jewelry store when I went to buy my wife her anniversary gift. I got out of my beat up pickup after parking midst the BMWs, Audis and the like, and went in. I had several customers look askance at me, but one of the sales ladies came up to me with a gracious smile, and an hour later, I walked out with a gift, she had a decent commission I'm sure, and I will be back to ask for Annette in the future.

Way back in the early seventies, I worked for a Ford Tractor dealership. We sold all of the top brands of farm implements.

The owner of the local Buick/Cadilac dealership had a small tractor and an old Bush Hog brand mower.  He’d beat the living daylights out of that mower and my dad or I would weld it back together and fix or replace the broken parts.

He rode the tractor into the shop where we were working and shut it off one afternoon.  “I just fired my whole damned sales staff!”he announced.

He went on to explain.  It seems that he had been up to Nashville on business when two old guys walked into the dealership. They were dressed in bib overalls, raggedy straw hats, down at the heels brogans, and one of ‘em wasn’t even wearing a shirt.  They apparently walked around the lot for about an hour and not one of the sales staff ventured out to speak to either of them. 

When our friend had been back to the dealership for about two hours, the two old gents pulled up in a pair of new Coupe deVilles!  When the boss asked where they got the new cars, they told him what had happened and that they had driven up to Nashville and traded their two year old cars for new ones!

Turns out that they were father and son and they had bought new Caddies from him every two years for nearly twenty years and had paid cash for them!  They owned hundreds of acres and raised tobacco, corn, and soybeans, and they were both multi millionaires!

6 hours ago, DocWard said:

I'm not sure how the discussion took the turn it did, but I will say I have found it fascinating

I think the road had some twists and curves, but I don't believe that it went off the path set out in the original post, other than maybe my one comment about people judging all sects and parishes on the basis of how they were received in one.... which is still arguably on the same path, maybe just going the opposite direction.

i think you now have the response you needed here - very few of us judge folks on their first appearance , its what they have to say and how they behave in our presence that determines how we 'judge' them , 

go to your ball games to support your kids and dont fret about being judged by either adults that are uncertain of their place in life or the youth that have no idea what life holds for them in the future , folks in either category that are comfortable in their skin will overlook that first impression to find the person beneath it , 

ive found some great people and made some great friends with that attitude , but ....there will always be those so uncertain in their place in the world that are going to draw conclusions or cast a shadow on those around them to seemingly better their place ..........just smile and walk away , life will deal with them , 

Archived