SASS Wire Forum

FYI Hodgdon Powder

HODGDON POWDER UPDATE 2023

QUICK SUMMARY: In 2023, we anticipate powder availability to return to Pre-COVID conditions. Our powders will be readily available on dealer shelves and for purchase on our website. While demand has remained at a record high for now nearly 3 years, we look forward to closing the gap between demand and supply and thank you for your patience.

WILL ALL YOUR POWDERS BE READILY AVAILABLE?

While there are some exceptions such as our Enduron and Trail Boss powders, the majority of our powders will be easily located via various retailers.

Many long-distance shooters are upset about them dropping the Enduron line. Supposedly they buy it from another maker and supplies are unreliable so they decided to drop it. I was at a gun show in Prescott Valley this weekend and one table had a pound of two of the Enduron powders for $90 each, and large rifle primers for $25 per 100. They were still there as I walked away.

Hodgdon buys ALL it's powders from powder manufacturers.   They manufacture no smokeless powders!

Some of those manufacturers have indeed been totally swamped by the demand and the lack of manufacturing capacity and raw materials over the last couple of years.

good luck, GJ

Buy Clay Dot - I would not count on Clays being very available because so many pards will be looking for it!

Clays comes from Australia as ADI AS30N. That hasn't been made here for years and not likely to be made again.

Here is a table from Hodgdon that shows what powders are ADI sourced. The availability comments are mine based on what is available online and what info I got from ADI recently (there is a post here about that 

)

Hodgdon Equivalents for ADI Powder Codes « Daily Bulletin (accurateshooter.com)

AS30N=Clays- not made anymore
AP50N = (No Hodgdon)
AS50N = International- not made anymore
AP70N = Universal- not made anymore
AP100 = (No Hodgdon)
AR2205 = H4227- available this year hopefully
AR2207 = H4198- available
AR2219 = H322- available
Bench Mark1 = (No Hodgdon)
Bench Mark2 = BenchMarkAR2206 = (No Hodgdon)
AR2206H = H4895- don't know about availability
AR2208 = Varget- available
AR2209 = H4350- available 
AR2213 = (Discontinued)
AR2213SC = H4831- available
AR2217 = H1000- available
AR2225 = Retumbo- don't know about availability
AR2218 = H50BMG- don't know about availability

1 hour ago, Major Crimes said:

Clays comes from Australia as ADI AS30N. That hasn't been made here for years and not likely to be made again.

All my containers of Clays are marked made in Canada packaged in the USA.

From what I know it got moved after the factory in Australia burnt down and there were problems getting the factory back up and running.

Marshal Stone

I’ve got 5 lbs of Clays International I use for shotgun. I just picked up a pound yesterday at my LGS. 
I use TiteGroup for rifle and pistol and I got plenty of that too. 

1 hour ago, Marshal Stone, SASS #53366 said:

Absolutely correct.  The General Dynamics plant in Canada now makes the Clays family of powders for Hodgdons.   For last four years, roughly.   When they can make enough to sell to the reloading market......   which has been hard.

good luck, GJ

Hodgdon issued a follow-up to the above annoucement.  This reads -

The Clays series is not currently being produced along with the IMR Enduron series. These are exeptions to that statement. We do not expect any Clays in 2023.
Luke Otte
Customer Service Manager
Hodgdon Powder Co.
6430 vista dr.
Shawnee, Ks 66218

If you are hoping to find Clays or Trailboss you better start looking for a substitute.

I have a friend who is a big player in the shooting industry in Australia, he has a well known business here & says do not write Trail Boss or our AS30 [ which is Clays ]off as he has remarked that in his opinion it will come back but how long that time frame is no one knows..time will tell !!!

2 hours ago, Marshal Stone, SASS #53366 said:

From what I know it got moved after the factory in Australia burnt down and there were problems getting the factory back up and running.

Marshal Stone

I stand corrected, the website was 2008, must have changed post that.

By the way this is the only Australian source I can find about a "fire" at the plant. This was in 2014 and the fire brigade weren't needed according to the report.

I think this may have been the result of an accident where they made our grenades?

Woman injured in explosion at Mulwala munitions factory: reports - ABC News

I hope this is true.  I do not need any of the fast powders for pistol or shotgun loads as I stocked up when I started shooting Trap.    But I screwed up on rifle powder.    I am down to 3 jugs of Varget.   My .308 's and .223's love Varget.    

If powder comes back, I will get another 8 jugs and be set for life.   

this "this" has driven prices thru the roof , even when the supply comes back the prices will remain high , for about half of this they could blame global reaction to covid , but the last half is on them driving prices and acceptance UP  , do as you please but im not going to buy a bunch when it first hits the market again , 

Have been using Clay Dot for a few years for all of the firearms and have not had all problems.

Nawlins

Unfortunately, Canada won't be giving you much in the way of competition for pistol and AR-15 style powders.

With the banning of the LEGAL transfer of handguns and the PROHIBITION of over 1500 types of firearms, including the AR-15 and all it's makes and variants, the powder demand here will be steadily decreasing as current owners die off and their firearms are seized by the government.

Archived