SASS Wire Forum

uberti sa question

Doc Moses

I picked up an Uberti sa revolver 6 or 8 months ago as a fun gun. (Wife thinks it's a back up but...I am a Ruger guy.)  It needs some new grips. I found a place that I like the price they have for grips. They have some for Colts and some marked for Piettas. Which will work on my Uberti?  I believe mine was made in 1998 if that makes a difference. Stainless nichol plated. Don't mind doing some fitting, just dont want to buy gripes that are too small. I can take stuff off but can't put it back on!  Thanks for your advice.

Grips for Uberti's like Colts need to be fitted. They're not like Rugers. Be careful what you buy you may end up with something that won't fit. I've bought a few sets of grips for a Colt and wound up selling them because I just couldn't get them to fit. Just my experience and MHO.

Call VTI at 860-435-8068 and talk to Mike (the only one there).  They have factory parts for Uberti, and they have an unfinished and finished set of grips for about $50. I recently got a finished pair for my Uberti, hoping they would be a close-enough fit, and they were.  If you are OK with finishing, may be good to go with the unfinished.

Uberti used a couple of different width backstraps.  Since they are a one piece grip, they usually have to be fitted to the gun.  If you  are a wood worker, it can be a fun project.

12 hours ago, Sarge said:

Uberti used a couple of different width backstraps.  Since they are a one piece grip, they usually have to be fitted to the gun.  If you  are a wood worker, it can be a fun project.

If you're not a wood worker (I'm not) it can be very frustrating! Ask me how I know!:P:lol:

Arizona custom grips have a couple of sets that convert a 1 piece grip to a 2 piece grip like rugers, they are easier to fit and much quicker to take on and off for cleaning or tuning, I know they carry sets for Uberti because I have a couple, you can find their store on eBay 

Doc - I've bought a couple sets of very nice wood grips made by Henry Lance with Texas Grips. Excellent craftsmanship and a perfect fit for my Cimarron Evil Roy (Uberti) pistols. 

https://texasgrips.com/

SS

I've used Texas Grips b4 and they r top quality. I am just not wanting to spend a lot on my back-up/fun gun and they r not cheap. I was wanting two piece grips. One piece r on now but I like the ease of the Ruger style. I see them sold as both types. Is there some trick to using two piece?  Only Colt style gun I have so I am a newbie.

42 minutes ago, Doc Moses said:

I've used Texas Grips b4 and they r top quality. I am just not wanting to spend a lot on my back-up/fun gun and they r not cheap. I was wanting two piece grips. One piece r on now but I like the ease of the Ruger style. I see them sold as both types. Is there some trick to using two piece?  Only Colt style gun I have so I am a newbie.

Most two piece grips will need a locator pin, in the front bottom corner.  The Uberti grip frame will need to be drilled and the pin added.  There are some 2-piece types that have a spacer built in to the grips, sort of like the middle spacer piece on 1-piece grips, that won't need a locator pin. Uberti made black plastic 2-piece checkered grips like that at one time, but they cracked easily.  Being as your gun was made in '98, it might be a tad different shape than new.  When I was at Cimarron and a new gun had damaged grips, even new replacements from Uberti were not a perfect fit.  Consider yourself lucky if you find any new grips that don't need fitting.  But all it takes is sand paper.  And if that goes through the finish on wood grips, you can strip the rest of the finish and give it an oil finish - looks good and easy.  Good luck.

I just got a pair of Davidsons Pietta 1873's with the nickel plated backstrap and trigger guard.  Thin plastic grips.  Useable, but just barely!  Anyone have suggestions for replacements?  Anyone have experience with NC Ordinance?  They do list a grip for Pietta's.  Don't have tons of money to spend.... like a lot of us!   Thanks in advance.

49 minutes ago, BenW said:

I just got a pair of Davidsons Pietta 1873's with the nickel plated backstrap and trigger guard.  Thin plastic grips.  Useable, but just barely!  Anyone have suggestions for replacements?  Anyone have experience with NC Ordinance?  They do list a grip for Pietta's.  Don't have tons of money to spend.... like a lot of us!   Thanks in advance.

You won’t go wrong with Texasgrips.com 

Henry will take good care of you. And if you want something really spectacular he has some really exotic wood to choose from 

Archived