SASS Wire Forum

Got Chickens? Update No. 2.

Lawdog Dago Dom

26 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Serves ya right! :P

I told them this evening after paying 9.79 for eggs they were running on borrowed time and would end up on DeaconKFC's or Lawchick Coocoo  Dominicker's guncart if they didn't start putting out. A couple of them started straining. We'll see in the morning.

4 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

I told them this evening after paying 9.79 for eggs they were running on borrowed time and would end up on DeaconKFC's or Lawchick Coocoo  Dominicker's guncart if they didn't start putting out. A couple of them started straining. We'll see in the morning.

You don't scare them.

They know you're scared of the transrooster!

Just show the chickens a big Zip-lock bag 1/4 full of breadcrumbs & tell them "If you produce, you get what's in the bag; if not, you're going in the bag."

46 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Actually, yes.

Try this ASAP . change it to a non Purina feed please this wont be the first time I have heard this is the reason why But would love to hear if after you change you see a difference . I can Pm you on what I have heard but wont post it here .

8 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

LDD you need to get you one of these stamps and personalize those eggs.

Egg.thumb.jpg.8e1ccce87e7b790f5a3b4ba5c1d2d254.jpg

Custom Rubber Chicken Egg Stamp

That's actually kinda cool.  I'm sure Shortcake will want something with shamrocks. Irish girls are a proud bunch!

Update number 2.

We went and met with a very nice Amish gentleman who builds coops. 5'x7'. 8 ft. tall. Solid cedar, steel roof. Outside egg access, with spots for 7 to sit. Also is a 12x12 caged run that disassembles without tools. He gets cedar logs and has a homemade sawmill on hand. Cuts the boards right there. Should be delivered late next week. Then we start looking for chicks!

Eli also builds other size sheds. He said a coop takes a full day to cut and assemble. 

Coop1.jpg

Coop5.jpg

Coop2.jpg

Coop4.jpg

If you plan a wire cage against varmints, one of my clients has a suggestion.

Dig down at least a foot to bury the cage wire in the ground.
Most important:  bend the cage wire 90 degrees and extend it another foot or more in a horizontal run away from the cage wall.
He says this will stop even the most determined digging varmint.

My youngest daughter raisers chickens.
She puts the discarded egg shells back out into the feed as they provide an important nutrient.
She also says chickens are a whole lot smarter than their general reputation affords.

13 hours ago, bgavin said:

Dig down at least a foot to bury the cage wire in the ground.
Most important:  bend the cage wire 90 degrees and extend it another foot or more in a horizontal run away from the cage wall.
He says this will stop even the most determined digging varmint.

In addition to this we used to put barbwire in the horizontal cut. Anything that digs winds up with the pads of their feet shredded. 

On 2/13/2023 at 12:03 PM, bgavin said:

...My youngest daughter raisers chickens....She also says chickens are a whole lot smarter than their general reputation affords.

With eyes on the opposite sides of their head how good can their eyesight be?  Good enough to snap a flying mosquito out of the air in less then a blink!  

Archived