SASS Wire Forum

I sold all my .500 S&W stuff... and now...

Three Foot Johnson

I sold both my X-frames a couple months ago, along with a few hundred pieces of brass, dies, and shell holder. A few days ago, I found another 80 cases buried on my loading bench, then today I was sitting there looking at them and thought... "Don't I have another .500?" Yeah, I do, a .500 barrel for my .45-70 NEF Handi rifle. So now what do I do, sell it, or buy dies/shell holder?  :lol:

You gotta ask yourself "Why did I sell them in the first place", the answer to that question may be all you need to answer this one!;)

I've owned a few AR 15's and I always wind up selling them because I really don't have anywhere to shoot them. I hate having "safe queens", I'd rather put the money towards something I will shoot all the time!

Don't feel too bad.

I have a very good condition (w/out box). Marlin 1895 'Cowboy' with dies and bullets,  and I have no plans to shoot it.

Soooooo, I'm either gonna sell it or cut the barrel into a trapper model and keep it.   Who knows, someday Godzilla

might walk outta the woods and try to get me.     Other than that, I really have no use for it.

Good luck on your decisions.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Don't feel too bad.

I have a very good condition (w/out box). Marlin 1895 'Cowboy' with dies and bullets,  and I have no plans to shoot it.

Soooooo, I'm either gonna sell it or cut the barrel into a trapper model and keep it.   Who knows, someday Godzilla

might walk outta the woods and try to get me.     Other than that, I really have no use for it.

Good luck on your decisions.

..........Widder

A 45-70 Trapper makes a nice pairing with a Smith model 69. :D

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

A 45-70 Trapper makes a nice pairing with a Smith model 69. :D

Indeed.   That model 69 is really a nice pistol, either on the hip or by the bed.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Indeed.   That model 69 is really a nice pistol, either on the hip or by the bed.

..........Widder

Yes it is. :D

Light enough a fella could carry two.

• 3 weeks later...

B)

*Presto*, I'm a .500 shooter again. :lol: Pretty dang cheap too - I ordered Lee dies on sale from Midway AND my birthday discount w/free shipping, then found an SB2 receiver on Gunbroker pretty reasonable. I already had the barrel, forend, butt stock, 80 pieces of brass, and hundreds of cast bullets. The barrel was just a little too tight to snap shut, so that was easy enough to fix with a few strokes of a rattail file. MUCH better than having to remove the hinge pin, ream the holes, and fit an oversize pin to cure a loose fit. 

NEF500.jpg

I love my NEF rifle. I have one with 3 barrels, 223, 30-06 and 45-70. I have a second shotgun receiver with a 12ga barrel and a front stuffer 50 cal barrel. I figure between the two receivers and the 5 barrels I can hunt pretty much anything in North America. 

I've had several SB1 and SB2's - two .38-55 Target Classics, a .45-70 Buffalo Classic, two SB2 .45-70's, a .58 cal Huntsman, a 20g, and a 176 10g. This barrel was originally fitted to one of my Target Classics, but I've sold both of them and just liked the idea of making it a dedicated .500 mag. The butt stock I used is actually a Buffalo Classic/Target Classic stock. :) 

Archived