SASS Wire Forum

Light firing pin strikes in Uberti 66

Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L

Started getting light primer strikes, second hit sets them off. Maybe two or three per magazine. Switched to my 73 (same brand lightened mainspring) finished the match with no problems. My pistols ( with lightened mainsprings) fired the same ammo with no problems,  so probably not an ammo issue. 

Took the rifle down, firing pin looked OK. Cleaned out the bolt, reassembled (no oil) same light strikes. Took it apart again today. When pushing the pin inside the bolt (with spring) it protrudes a good  eight of an inch. When pushing using the extension it barely protrudes. So assuming it's inertial. Could I try trimming the spring a coil or two?

If your using a reduced Main Spring, you should also be using a reduced Firing Pin Return Spring.  Suggestions would be Shotgun Boogie, Cowboys and Indian Store or Pioneer Gunworks.  In the interim, you can cut the OEM return spring back to just a tad over 5/8 inch.  The Firing Pin is in fact partially inertial and the OEM return spring won't allow enough whack with a reduced Main Spring.

You can also add a Main Spring tension screw similar to the '73 if so desired.  Fairly simple to do.  Drill and tap the lower tang for a #8 set screw.  Drill the hole at the "dash" on the lower tang.

Lumpy,

Only mods are The Smith Shop (Happy Trails) Whisper Springs and his reduced power main spring. Has worked great for years, then all of a sudden...

Coffinmaker,

I think you are right and that I will trim the spring. Back when Happy Trails was marketing his springs, no one thought about the firing pin spring. Maybe the main spring was a little light to begin with and now has lost just enough power to make a difference. 

Thanks

I my opinion, it sounds like your firing pin is a little short for your particular bolt. Get a Slix-Pin firing pin and fit it to your bolt. Not every extension stop in the bolt is machined at exactly the same depth but the factory pins are all the same length. The Slix-Pin is extra long and you fit it to your specific bolt. They come with instructions. Easy fix to get maximum firing pin extension from the bolt face. 

50 minutes ago, SGT. ELI 35882 GUNFIGHTER said:

Unless there has been a clarification I missed, adding a mainspring strain screw to a 66 is an illegal modification. 

It might be considered invisible with the action closed, so that could make a difference.

2 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

It might be considered invisible with the action closed, so that could make a difference.

Approved in 2018, I missed it or more likely forgot

On 2/5/2023 at 5:34 PM, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

Lumpy,

Only mods are The Smith Shop (Happy Trails) Whisper Springs and his reduced power main spring. Has worked great for years, then all of a sudden...

You have lots of great advice here, but I believe you are answering your own question. If the gun has worked well for years, and nothing new has been added recently to the gun, try changing out the main spring.

Tully

Approximately how many rounds through your 66?

After 10 years my 66 started misfiring, naturally it started at Winter Range. A local gunfixer tried the new mainspring and firing pin with no luck.

A pard suggested checking the headspace and gave me some old feelers to grind down.  Sure enough about 0.015" excess. 

Ordered some new links that were long enough to take out that excess headspace.  Works like  a champ.

Archived