SASS Wire Forum

Roy Rogers Heldorado

Subdeacon Joe

Just visited the Escondido Bandidos this weekend in Southern California and while driving thru Victorville - pointed out to my wife that this was where the Roy Rogers museum was before he passed and it was moved to Branson Mo.

Relayed a story about my Dad; I moved to Las Vegas in 1996 (Mom and Dad followed in 2000) - but between 96 and 2000, they visited about 2 times a year.

During one of these visits; I took my Dad to the Roy Rogers museum - upon entering we met Dusty Rogers (Roys son) and my Dad asked if Roy ever came around.

Dusty replied that he came by quite often and we had just missed him by a few minutes.

My stoic, tough as nails, Father almost teared up because he had missed meeting his childhood hero - I had never seen that side of him before.

Sadly Roy passed before I had another opportunity to take Dad back.

Roy Rogers was before my time and my limited knowledge has come more by luck and osmosis than any study of his work - but anybody that could have that much impact on my Dad who was generally not impressed by anything or awed by anyone had to be a pretty amazing person.

Creeker,

I can relate to your Dad's feelings.   Roy was one of my childhood heroes and kept me occupied in front of the TV

on Saturday here in E.Tennessee.

I still remember his 'BYE' line:   "May the good Lord take a liken to you".

and He and Dale would smile and wave 'BYE'.

Those were a big part of our 'good ole days'.

..........Widder

Archived