SASS Wire Forum

Tents Of Fruit Gatherers, Fresno CA

Subdeacon Joe

Tents of Fruit Gatherers, Fresno, California. Photo taken 1903-1910 and was removed from a photo album. Several weeks ago I drove (!) to Phoenix, Arizona to attend a postcard show. There were many western dealers that exhibit in Phoenix that won't come to California so I was really happy with the selection of images that were available. This is one of the finds of the show - a very early image that shows the living conditions of migrant farm workers. California agriculture has attracted many different nationalities of people to come and work in the fields. Japanese, Portuguese, Chinese and Hispanics were all part of the early waive of migrant workers. The work was hard and the conditions were harsh, but these peoples survived and moved up in the economic social ladder as they saved their monies and helped each other out. Photos like this are extremely rare and I was happy to find one from the San Joaquin Valley.

May be an image of outdoors

9 hours ago, Alpo said:

Now that's what you call a long exposure.

yup , 7 years , you could catch a lot of life in that time - and just think how many  million "fruit gatherers" would cross our southern boarder in that exposure , now i hear the northern as well , 

Archived