SASS Wire Forum

Google Timer App

Subdeacon Joe

I have the timer running on my phone and needed to add time.   I had set it to 45 minutes, it was down to 1 minute and I wanted another 45 minutes for the next time to stir the pot (don't go there!)- I'm using a crockpot to turn a #10 can of applesauce into apple butter.

"OK Google, add 45 minutes to timer," I said, expecting it to add the 45 minutes to the time remaining.

Nope, it reset to an hour and a half, adding time to the original 45 minutes.  So I say "OK Google, reset timer to 45 minutes." Does it do it?   Nope.  "You can do that from the app," it says in its female Australian accent.  At least it didn't add, "You lazy sod." :lol:

Sounds too complicated for me to operate.

Guess I'll stick with my digital countdown buzzer and reset as needed.

11 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Sounds too complicated for me to operate.

Guess I'll stick with my digital countdown buzzer and reset as needed.

Saying "ok Google, set timer to X" isn't a brain strain.  What messed me up was my assumption that it would just add time to what was left on it.

I just found the, "You can do that from the app" a bit humorous. 

Since I'm going to be several more hours, stirring it every 45 minutes, I'm going to try different ways of phrasing it just to see how it responds.   

I have a Clock app on my iPhone that has a timer, stopwatch, alarm and clock. I use that a lot, but there’s no verbal command to it. 

My daughter has one of those Google things like an Alexa. She tells it to set her timer for whatever and she can add or subtract time, but I seem to recall her saying that she had to set something up in her phone settings or it would just stick with the original time. Not sure if that might be something you could look into. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have a Clock app on my iPhone that has a timer, stopwatch, alarm and clock. I use that a lot, but there’s no verbal command to it. 

My daughter has one of those Google things like an Alexa. She tells it to set her timer for whatever and she can add or subtract time, but I seem to recall her saying that she had to set something up in her phone settings or it would just stick with the original time. Not sure if that might be something you could look into. 

Just say, “Alexa, set alarm for 3AM.”

Yep.  Got a "timer" function on My iWatch, My iPhone, My iPad, My Lap Top and My Alexa thingie.  Trying to add or subtract time from any of them is just too taxing or just doesn't work.  Much simpler to Cancel a specific timer and reset.  Or, if it's going to be recurrent, like stirring a pot or a clothes dryer, sooooo much simpler to wait for the time to run out and then restart. 

Archived