SASS Wire Forum

loading tube for lever rifle

Dutch Charlie bowdre

hi folks ,

I am getting back in to SASS shoots after a bit of a medical scare. One of the items I need is to make a loading tube to full the magazine of my <73 Uberti

I have watched the videos but am looking to find the proper diameter of the tubing to use for 45 Colt

Any help is much appreciated 

charlie

The rim diameter of a .45 Colt case is .512, so you will need a tube with that as the minimum for the Internal Diameter of the tube you plan to use.

21 minutes ago, Dutch Charlie bowdre said:

Hi Scout 

No damage to my magazine tube I don't have a loading  tube and need to have a friend make me one This  will enable me to load  as required

charlie

Oh I miss read your request. Sorry

For a 38/357 american size pvs tube can be used and works well. 45 colt you pretty much need to find a metric size pvc tube. Any of the American sizes are either too tight or too loose to work well.

19 hours ago, Dutch Charlie bowdre said:

hi folks ,

I am getting back in to SASS shoots after a bit of a medical scare. One of the items I need is to make a loading tube to full the magazine of my <73 Uberti

I have watched the videos but am looking to find the proper diameter of the tubing to use for 45 Colt

charlie

I believe this is what you are looking for but for a 45.  https://www.longhunt.com/storelh/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=441

TM

10 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I've always seen them as a solution desperately seeking a problem.  Why bother.  It ain't all that hard to load a '73 or a '66.  There is plenty of time to load a rifle at the loading table.  Wouldn't waste my time or money on one.  Just my unbiased opine.

Here's what you can do with a rifle speed loader. 

You can shoot IDPA competitions with a 1866!

3 hours ago, runs with scissors said:

Here's what you can do with a rifle speed loader. 

You can shoot IDPA competitions with a 1866!

Who made those? Never seen anything quite like those.

Was the 66 modified in any way? 

On 2/4/2023 at 5:33 PM, Dutch Charlie bowdre said:

hi folks ,

charlie

1/2" Sched 40 PVC has an average ID of 0.602"  1/2" Sched 80 PVC has an average ID of 0.546" Either should work to make a 45 colt loading tube as 45 Colt rim diameter is 0.512".

I would make it long enough to hold 5 rounds instead of 10. Easier to manage.

See if you can get a good look at one made for 38/357 to get an idea of how they are constructed.

On 2/6/2023 at 5:50 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

1/2" Sched 40 PVC has an average ID of 0.602"  1/2" Sched 80 PVC has an average ID of 0.546" Either should work to make a 45 colt loading tube as 45 Colt rim diameter is 0.512".

I would make it long enough to hold 5 rounds instead of 10. Easier to manage.

See if you can get a good look at one made for 38/357 to get an idea of how they are constructed.

Bullett's photo above appears to be very similar to one made for my shooting partner.
Sched 80 PVC with a wooden dowel "pusher". Hers is marked to allow an LTO to see how many rounds are loaded.

loading tube.jpg

Since the timer isn't running at the loading table, I view these as one of the most useless pieces of equipment I'd have in my cart.  

For many of us myself included they don't help. HOWEVER for some they are the difference between being able to load their rifle and getting someone else to do it for them.

My late wife, couldn't load her rifle without one. She lacked the strength in her fingers to push rounds into the gun. Her Marlin was fully slicked up with a shortened mag tube spring and lightened loading gate spring. After she cut her finger attempting to push a cartridge into the gun and bled like a stuck pig because she was on blood thinners I took over loading her rifle for her.

After seeing the first loading tube I decided to make her one that held 5 rounds. Decided to make it hold only 5 rounds so it would be easier to manipulate. Took me 4 design changes before I was happy with it. She was overjoyed when I gave it to her and loved using it.

So yes they may be useless for a lot of us but to some shooters they are an invaluable tool. 

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Since the timer isn't running at the loading table, I view these as one of the most useless pieces of equipment I'd have in my cart.  

Then don't carry/use one.

Did you somehow miss the statements by the OP regarding WHY he's asking about a mag loader? <_<

Archived