SASS Wire Forum

I have this rock that I found when I was about 7 or 8 years old.  Found it in the street.  It is about an inch in diameter. It is black but is full of geometric shapes of something that is gold or brass colored.  Any ideas ?  Thanks in advance !

Horace

unknown rock 1.jpg

unknown rock 2.jpg

44 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Maybe a meterorite?

Quite possible. Thousands of them hit earth every day. Most are tiny 

Per my oldest daughter, who has a degree in Geology and has been fascinated by rocks her entire life: 

"[She] would need to have it in person, but an Iron rich meteorite is absolutely possible. The brassy flecks are likely iron pyrite--they'll be kind of cubic. A decent jeweler's loupe will help see the flecks better."

It's not magnetic.  I don't need a jewelers loupe to see the cubic or faceted gold colored whatever in it.  The whole rock has these geometric  shapes in it.

Horace

1 hour ago, Cheatin Charlie said:

Petrified dog turd? 

If it is, that dog had some problems.  I'm thinking it may be some type of pyrite.

Horace

What is it's "heft"?  That is, how does it's weight compare to a similar sized known stone and also compared to a piece of iron?  Can you make a scratch mark on it with a knife blade?  Can you make a scratch mark on it with a penny?  Rub it on a piece of unglazed porcelain (medium sandpaper is a poor substitute).  What color is the residue scraped off?  Does it have an odor?  

Will your stone scratch steel?  Will it scratch window glass?  It is difficult to see the colored geometric shapes included in the stone.  Can you pick at one with a needle or dental pick to determine if it has a metallic look?  Use a magnifying glass.  Do they look like embedded crystals?  I think I see small clear to milky grains on the surface.  If so, are they blob shaped or angular like crystals?  There also seems to be white, flakey areas in places on the surface.  Do those look to be small surface fracture flaking similar to what might be seen on edges of broken glass?  Any results from the porcelain smear?  

I reread your answers.  Yes, you describe the metallic inclusions as angular like crystals.  

2 hours ago, Horace Patootie, SASS #35798 said:

If it is, that dog had some problems.  I'm thinking it may be some type of pyrite.

Horace

Will it attract a magnet?  I think I asked that earlier.  Wondering about the iron content.  Still thinking it might be a meteorite.  Sounds like it's not magnetite, but if it has a high iron content, it could be that it came from space.  But really can't tell without having it in hand.

Probably not this, but I've seen burnt coal along train tracks that look similar. However, without the pyrite.

Do you have a nearby university or local rock collecting club?  Either will have folks who can do needed density and other testing.  Also, what general geological area was it found in?  Volcanic?  Granitic?  etc.

And don't rule out Krypton.  (DO your shooting scores improve or diminish with the rock in your pocket?)

2 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Do you have a nearby university or local rock collecting club?  Either will have folks who can do needed density and other testing.  Also, what general geological area was it found in?  Volcanic?  Granitic?  etc.

And don't rule out Krypton.  (DO your shooting scores improve or diminish with the rock in your pocket?)

Shooting scores don't improve but it does tingle :)

Archived