SASS Wire Forum

Replacement grips for Pietta 1873 Great Western II

BenW

Howdy!  I have a pair of the above mentioned revolvers.  These are the Davidson's Specials, .357 Mag, with the nickel plated backstrap & trigger guard.  Grips are the flimsy plastic black checkered ones.  Anyone know of an inexpensive alternative for these?  Wood would be nice....   Thanks in advance!

Badlands Ben

Howdy Ben.  Has anyone told you yet that you picked the alias of a former National and World Champion gunfighter (and brother of two time overall World Champ Shalako Joe) ?  He doesn't shoot any more and obviously let his membership lapse.  

there is a company called Arizona custom grips that sells grips on E Bay that will fit your gun, they are called Magna Tusk and they are really sturdy and well made grips, they make a lot of different styles as well as a 2 piece that makes taking your grips off a lot faster, I have used them for years now with no issues

On 2/4/2023 at 4:26 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Howdy Ben.  Has anyone told you yet that you picked the alias of a former National and World Champion gunfighter (and brother of two time overall World Champ Shalako Joe) ?  He doesn't shoot any more and obviously let his membership lapse.  

Abilene, I had absolutely no idea until I read your post!!  I feel honored and promise to try not to tarnish the name in any way.  I'll have to do some digging now and learn more about him.  I can't thank you enough for the information... being a retired U.S. Marine, I know about the weight of legacy!  

On 2/4/2023 at 4:47 PM, Sawhorse Kid said:

Are you looking specifically for wood or are you open to faux Ivory/Stag/Pearl?

Sawhorse, I'm open, just thought wood might be the least expensive and easiest to fit, if necessary.

On 2/4/2023 at 7:08 PM, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Try NCOrdnance

Imis

I've looked at their products, and spoken with them about them.  I like the idea, especially as I'm in North Carolina as well!  I might have to try them, and if so, hopefully they can be stained and not look like gleaming white grips.  

Texasgrips.com

Henry will treat you right. 

7 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Texasgrips.com

Henry will treat you right. 

They don't show anything for Pietta, and they are a little more spendy than I wanted.  I'll call or e-mail and see what they can do.  Thanks for the tip!

If the below is what you have the grips are really not that flimsy and many duelists like the thin profile.  One thing to keep in mind is that the grips (at least on mine) are a three piece design.  Replacement one piece grips may need some work to fit and if using two piece grips you will need to drill a hole for a locator pin in the grip frame.

DSC_0014.thumb.jpeg.d0e05afecb7d06915096bd11cc14f9e6.jpeg

DSC_0015.thumb.jpeg.e0f5043e726ef2491a3312f8fd2c6631.jpeg

47 minutes ago, BenW said:

Abilene, I had absolutely no idea until I read your post!!  I feel honored and promise to try not to tarnish the name in any way.  I'll have to do some digging now and learn more about him.  I can't thank you enough for the information... being a retired U.S. Marine, I know about the weight of legacy!  

Ben, here is a copy of an article I wrote for the Cowboy Chronicle on the Hamptons back when Shalako Joe won EOT the first time.  This was before Badlands Ben switched to Gunfighter. 

http://www.davidscottharper.com/shoot/Hamptons.pdf

4 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Oh, and here is the accompanying picture.  Ben is on the left.

http://www.davidscottharper.com/shoot/hamptons1a.JPG

Thank you for the story and the picture.  Sounds like a pretty remarkable family!  I hope they're all doing well and I sorta wish they were still involved in CAS.  Who knows, maybe I'll get to meet them sometime!

Pettifogger, that looks exactly like my revolvers.  I appreciate the input, I'll be shooting them more before I make a final decision, I guess.  I will say that I was very impressed with the overall quality of the materials, fit and finish of the revolvers.  They look like they'll hold up for a good while, and of course I try not to abuse my firearms in any way, but CAS is a pretty tough sport on firearms!  How are yours holding up?  How many rounds through them?  And, would you share your load?  I have both .38 and .357 brass, was figuring to use the .38 brass with 125 grain RNFP.  

Sadly, one of the Hampton parents is no longer with us, I forget which. 

Many of us use 125gr in .38.  Lots of powders are suitable.  What sort of powder(s) do you have? 

21 minutes ago, BenW said:

Pettifogger, that looks exactly like my revolvers.  I appreciate the input, I'll be shooting them more before I make a final decision, I guess.  I will say that I was very impressed with the overall quality of the materials, fit and finish of the revolvers.  They look like they'll hold up for a good while, and of course I try not to abuse my firearms in any way, but CAS is a pretty tough sport on firearms!  How are yours holding up?  How many rounds through them?  And, would you share your load?  I have both .38 and .357 brass, was figuring to use the .38 brass with 125 grain RNFP.  

I bought mine to shoot BP.  Load - fill up case with BP and jam in bullet.  To be candid mine had severe over-rotation.  Pietta's tends to have very tight fitting cylinder bolts.  I had to remove about .005 off the side of each one and everything is now fine.

Ben, I have these grips that may work on your pistols. They came from a pair of Colt clones but it’s been many years ago and I don’t recall what brand they were. If you will PM me your shipping address I will send them to you. If you can use them, keep them. If they won’t work just send them back. They may need a little fitting but hopefully they will work. 

B9A05FE4-E018-4F75-8EB8-83607666F260.jpeg

9246255E-FB91-4B69-AF4C-16F634BBECC2.jpeg

562BABCD-60BD-4419-BE9F-8D6BAB4A918E.jpeg

13 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Sadly, one of the Hampton parents is no longer with us, I forget which. 

Many of us use 125gr in .38.  Lots of powders are suitable.  What sort of powder(s) do you have? 

Abilene, I have a little Trail Boss, but I'm trying to conserve that.  I have Win 244 and Sport Pistol, which I use for USPSA in 9mm.  I'll be working up loads for each of those as I have time.  There is some data for both of those.  I also have a 24" .357 rifle I'll hopefully be using the same load for both.  125 gr.  RNFP seems to be a little short so far in .38 Special cases, but the rifle is new and not broken in.  I've been through it and slicked it up some (I am a gunsmith) but it needs more rounds through it, so I'm working on that, too!  

13 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I bought mine to shoot BP.  Load - fill up case with BP and jam in bullet.  To be candid mine had severe over-rotation.  Pietta's tends to have very tight fitting cylinder bolts.  I had to remove about .005 off the side of each one and everything is now fine.

On my revolvers the cylinder bolt fit is good, but tight.  Still didn't need any work, although another exact same pistol came to me with a slightly oversized bolt that needed relief.  I haven't shot any BP but I am considering it.  I have plenty of FFg and FFFg BP, also some "fake" BP.  Just don't enjoy the clean-up!  

Doc, PM inbound.

Hi Jeffro!  I'm looking forward to Saturday, hopefully we won't get rained out!!  I'll check out Buffalo Brothers for sure!

Sawhorse, thanks for the links.  The wood grips from Dixie look very interesting to me, and I don't mind a little woodwork at all.  And you certainly can't beat the price!!

Archived