SASS Wire Forum

What do you call marijuana?

Alpo

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Blunt is specific. A cigar stuffed with weed.

What would you call Vietnamese pot stuffed into Salem cigarettes after the tobacco has been removed?  At Dau Tieng in 1970 us WTLB radio station crew relaxed in the evening drinking booze, wine & smoking weed.

P.S. another name for cannabis is in HI it is called pacalolo.

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

When I had HQ company with 2/7 Cav we had a guy who we called Wild Bill. He was always stoned and not suitable for duty with a line company so he was seen to the near. Stoners in combat companies were bad news. He had a Vietnamese dog for a pet and it was always stoned too. One day he stumbled into the orderly room and pointed an M16 at the battalion XO and demanded he be given emergency leave because his mother was going through menopause. We got the gun away from him and he sprinted away. The MPs caught up with him and off he went to LBJ (Long Bing Jail). Finished his tour there and probably ended up in Leavenworth. Another guy named Mac we found wrapped up in det cord trying to set it off with a bic lighter. Didn’t work.

After the 25th ID was redeployed to Schofield Barracks I returned the radio station equipment & music collection to the 11th ACR.  The couple of days I bunked with a couple of truck drivers I was appalled they were heroin addicts who snorted the stuff.  Worse they had a pet monkey that they kept stoned by administering it to the monkey's nostrils via a straw.  They monkey was so stoned that it was catatonic & rode on the fenders of trucks.  In 1971 the Army in VN was aggressively fighting drug use.  Pot use dropped drastically in base camp areas because every vehicle was searched when entering a bass camp.  Heroin used skyrocket because it was easier to hide.

i never gave it a lot of thought till this thread , i understood gibbs , i understood most of your responses , im sure id miss some "new" terms for it , i dont get the push to legalize with all the concerns of smoking .....guess ill light a ceegar and contemplate on it a bit , wonder if the driving under the influence folks will get all up in arms as they rightfully have with alcohol ? more government programs to curtail its use or are we going to just dispense it willy nilly like we do other drugs ? 

I wasn’t going to post this, but changed my mind. 

In my opinion, lots of people just love to look down their noses at people that smoked or smoke dope. They get all full of themselves about it. That’s okay, it’s their opinion. 

I recall everything I heard about pot in school as a kid. “It’ll kill you”, “It’s a stepping stone drug”, You smoke it and in no time you’ll be addicted to heroin”, “People that smoke marijuana never contribute to society in a positive way”, blah, blah, blah... 

Oh sure, everyone can cite examples of stoners that were stupid, idiotic, a danger through the stupefying effects of pot. More than likely they were stupid or low life dipsh**s to begin with. Hell, I can name off a few very easily and by the way, these same people were absolute dangers to themselves and others when drinking the legal drug of choice, alcohol, as well.

I can count on one hand the number of people that I know that have harmed themselves or others after smoking pot. Each one of those people also drank alcohol at that same time they were smoking dope. On the other hand I cannot tell you how many times I have seen people that “only drink alcohol” harm themselves and harm others.

I would love it if someone would step up here that has never drank alcohol to convey their thoughts about it. Or perhaps someone else like myself who does not drink it anymore. I quit drinking because of what alcohol did to me and what it does to your body over time. And no, I do not smoke dope either. I haven’t for many years. Oh, I did try it again after it became legal where I lived. It sucked. I like being sober. 

I learned a very valuable lesson when I quit drinking. I learned that quite a few of my relationships were apparently solely based on alcohol. It’s true. Many of my so-called friends turned away from me when I quit drinking or when they found out I quit drinking. Not because I changed, but because when it came right down to it, we truly weren’t friends. We were drinking buddies.
I have had acquaintances that I have made completely stop corresponding with me when I tell them that I do not drink. People on here, in fact have opted not to be friends with me or quietly gave up communicating or attempting to meet up after I conveyed to them that I do not drink. 
That is fine. I prefer to have relationships that are not based on drugs. Alcohol is a drug. It’s just that it is legal and accepted through out many societies. 

So, flame away if you must. 

On the college campus where I work, it's universally known as "weed".  Counsellors, students, cops and faculty all refer to marijuana as weed.  

I have never actually quit drinking alcohol or smoking weed!

When I was in high school, I was the guy you came to if you wanted alcohol.  My father was a cop and also a facilitator for many charitable and political functions.  He knew every liquor store owner and bar owner in town, as well as all of the catering outfits.

From the time I could drive, which was age 14 1/2, I was sent to pick up liquor, food, chairs and tables, and about anything else that was needed for a party or political rally.  All these business people got to know me too, so I could often get the booze just by showing up with the cash and saying it was “for the old man, he didn’t call you?” It worked ‘til I got old enough to buy liquor legally, which happened the year that 18 year olds got the vote.

After that, I drank heavily at times, just because I could. I had good paying jobs and partied often because I could afford to. I also tried many of the “recreational drugs” that were popular and available at the time. Most of those didn’t deliver the kind of effect I wanted or appreciated and I quit using them as quickly as I had started.

Weed was not one of those. It was easily obtained, inexpensive, and didn’t have the downside that other prohibited substances did. It wasn’t something I had to have and when I didn’t have it. I didn’t crave it, nor did it leave me with any unwanted after effects.

I also smoked tobacco. That was the drug that I was “hooked” on for years. I started stealing cigarettes from my dad when I was about six years old. I’d see his cigarette pack laying around and I’d pilfer myself a smoke!! I received a new Zippo lighter and a carton of Winston cigarettes for my 16th birthday. A gift from my parents! It took me until the summer of my 43rd year to decide that I wasn’t going to let tobacco control my life anymore! I just quit!! No patches, lozenges, gum, or drugs. “Cold Turkey”!!  I made everybody miserable for several weeks after that. Hatfield and Schoolmarm even conspired at one point to buy a carton of cigarettes and hold a gun on me ‘til I smoked ‘em all!  Tobacco is the ONLY thing that I can honestly say that I QUIT!!

There’s a half gallon jug of really good Apple Pie moonshine, unopened, in my refrigerator right now. It’s brother was emptied before Christmas. I’d had them both for a year and a half.  I take a drink when I take a notion.

I haven’t “burned one” in several years.  I just haven’t had the urge..  If I take a notion to, it’s only minutes away!

I no longer let things like that control my life.  Well, except for maybe guns and fast cars/motorcycles.  I’ll still turn loose with a burst of gunfire or a blast of tire smoking, fuel wasting, “peel the skin on your face back acceleration” now and then.

When a bunch of college kids at one of our gigs offers me a drink of their preferred beverage, I usually decline. When they ask me why, I explain that, “I had your share, and his share, and his share , and her share before I was your age.  I figure I ought to leave some for the rest of ya’s!!” Then I smile and start the next song.

Pat said "In my opinion, lots of people just love to look down their noses at people that smoked or smoke dope. They get all full of themselves about it. That’s okay, it’s their opinion. 

i think i might have come off as that guy "looking down my nose" 

just because i never got into smoking 'weed;' myself [tried it - didnt like the results] is not an indicator that i look down on those that do , on the contrary , ive always wondered at not legalizing that , but what bugs me the most is that libs today want it and reject tobacco and alcohol that has been legal , why is one mood altering thing good and another bad ? if any one is good to go than all should be good to go , its the constant contradictions of the lefts approach to life that i cant fathom , 

so go ahead and smoke your weed , ill smoke my cigar , drink my beer , but neither of us should ever do harm to others while doing it , equal under the law , 

i think there are way too many laws - way too many outdated laws and unfair laws , selfish laws - but its where we are today , nice thing about this country is we have a chance to change that , wonder how many that want communism can expect that once they get it ? 

2 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Just after that song was released, I had to travel to New Jersey when my aunt passed away.  Her son and his family were visiting and we flew the rest of the family home while I helped my cousin drive their truck and travel trailer back home.

I was “wined and dined” by some of my yankee cousins for a few days while the arrangements, the funeral, and my flight home were all taken care of.

It was the early ‘70s and “country music” was huge in the bars up there.

One of my cousins insisted on taking me to a bar and the band was pretty good, even if I WASN’T into country music.  I was a rocker and the Jim Stafford version of Wildwood Flower was extremely popular with the Rock ‘N’ Roll crowd, but it wasn’t played on country radio in Nashville!  It was totally taboo to the “hillbilly” crowd!

I’d learned that version so we could perform it with the guys I performed with. My cousin got me on stage with this bar band and I explained to them that they should just play the old instrumental over and over while I did the narrative.  They had never heard it before and by the time I/we had finished, half the crowd and all of the guys in the band were laughing hysterically and the other half of the crowd was either sullenly offended or just too stunned to know what to do!!

I ate and drank for free the rest of the night and me and the band closed the show with a roaring version of Roadhouse Blues by The Doors!!

Archived