SASS Wire Forum

What do you call marijuana?

Alpo

Many years back there was an NCIS episode and Abby was talking about marijuana and when she mentioned it Gibbs said, "Grass?"

At the same time he was saying grass I was thinking, "Reefer?"

Now I know there were many different names. The big three were either grass pot or reefer.

But anyone round about my age - even if you didn't use it - use a term for it. What did you call it? What do you still call it - if you see it mentioned in the newspaper or hear it on the evening news - what word comes into your head when they say marijuana?

I keep getting a pop-up ad asking me if I want to buy some of the best weed in the state of Florida. Although sometimes it's the same ad with the same guy, but he wants to know if I want to buy some of the best weed in the state of West Virginia.

Anyway, he says weed.

6 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I keep getting a pop-up ad asking me if I want to buy some of the best weed in the state of Florida. Although sometimes it's the same ad with the same guy, but he wants to know if I want to buy some of the best weed in the state of West Virginia.

Anyway, he says weed.

I am a Moderator on a different site,  there is a lot of drug Spam.  Some much more dangerous than MJ.  No rhyme or reason, just spam-bots.

Off the top of my head…
Reefer

pot

ganja

weed

Spliff

dope

joints

Bud

Chronic

Doobies

Herb

But never marijuana cigarettes or grass. Those terms indicate you’re a narc or pretending to be a dork. 

And yes, I smoked it and yes, I in-freakin’-haled.

I always thought "Wacky Tobaccy" was a humurous name.  I don't call it anything as I don't have anything to do with the stuff.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Off the top of my head…
Reefer

pot

ganja

weed

Spliff

dope

joints

Bud

Chronic

Doobies

Herb

But never marijuana cigarettes or grass. Those terms indicate you’re a narc or pretending to be a dork. 

Well you covered it pretty well I have nothing to add !!

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Off the top of my head…
Reefer

pot

ganja

weed

Spliff

dope

joints

Bud

Chronic

Doobies

Herb

Never heard Chronic. Mostly called pot or herb in my younger years.

1 minute ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Never heard Chronic. Mostly called pot or herb in my younger years.

Chronic was a Southern California term I picked up in the early 80’s. 

9 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

The dullest people back in the day were the stoners.  Didn't even want to be around them, never mind be one. Give me a bunch or rowdy drinkers anytime.

Ha! That’s funny. 

23 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

The dullest people back in the day were the stoners.  Didn't even want to be around them, never mind be one. Give me a bunch or rowdy drinkers anytime.

Been around a lot of heavy drinkers. They could usually be counted on somewhat. The stoners, never.

Don’t get me started.

Pat, ya forgot grass.

Not a user, I see no need. However, to answer the actual question on the table, typically pot, or perhaps in reference to when it is rolled, "doobage," from "doobie."

While I agree stoners can't be counted on, I've never had a stoner get high, grow "pot muscles" and become an instant asshole and want to fight everyone. I've gotten into more than a few fights because of people with "beer muscles," or maybe "Jack Daniel's muscles." Either because they started fighting me, or because I needed to get them out of a mess.

I always called it dope and those who smoked it dopeheads. 

I flew airplanes. I don't know about the grunts and cannon cockers, but in most squadrons, if it was determined you were a dopehead, you were stripped of all your qualifications. You did NOT work on airplanes; you scrubbed the hangar deck, the heads and anything else that needed cleaning. This was an administrative action and not subject to being overturned by the damn lawyers. After it became legal to take a kid to Office Hours, we continued to do so plus put his ass in jail and forfeit some of his pay. 

Truthfully, having your buds laugh at you as you scrubbed the hangar deck with a toothbrush and a bar of soap, was more effective than anything else we did. After a few wound up on their knees with soap and toothbrush, our dope usage went way down. 

PF

My terminology from back in the 70's and 80's;

Loose pot = pot

Rolled pot = joint

Very potent pot = sinsemilla or skunk bud

Funny this thread came up. Today while out driving around to garage sales, we saw a guy crossing the street walking a bicycle that was a doppelganger for Tommy Chong as he looked in the movie Up In Smoke. My gal and I looked at each other at the same time and said "Hey look, it's Chong." Then we laughed pretty good about it.

Tried to find an image on Google and failed, this thread made me remember a billboard in San Jose. CA from many years ago.

Some thing like: Marijauna, it makes you take 15 seconds longer than normal to respond to "Hey Stupid!"

And yes, I have heard all of the above names. Also heard simply smoke, home grown (and assume HG is the same), BC Bud (from Vancouver?), OG, probably a few others.

Never had much trouble with dope smkers. They usually avoid confrontation and seldom get belligerent.

Can’t say that for drinkers.  Most of my front teeth are damaged from drunkassed idiots who thought that they could dance or that just HAD  to stumble up to the stage to bellow how good or bad the band was.  They invariably staggered into the mic stand and slammed the microphone into my lips or my teeth, or they flopped over onto one of my band mates, knocking them and their gear over, often damaging expensive guitars and amplifiers and the like!!

If it wasn’t that, it was a fight over a game of pool or a waitress or some other guy’s girlfriend/wife!!

Weed might make you slow or useless, but alcohol makes too many people brave, bellicose, or really stupid!!  Drunks are dangerous….  to others and themselves!!

20 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Black slang here. So is blunt. 

Blunt is specific. A cigar stuffed with weed.

OH!!  Yeah!!  I always called it “weed”!

11 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Blunt is specific. A cigar stuffed with weed.

Oh, I know. Used to take quite a few away off the plating lines. The duct hoods were a favorite place.

When I had HQ company with 2/7 Cav we had a guy who we called Wild Bill. He was always stoned and not suitable for duty with a line company so he was seen to the near. Stoners in combat companies were bad news. He had a Vietnamese dog for a pet and it was always stoned too. One day he stumbled into the orderly room and pointed an M16 at the battalion XO and demanded he be given emergency leave because his mother was going through menopause. We got the gun away from him and he sprinted away. The MPs caught up with him and off he went to LBJ (Long Bing Jail). Finished his tour there and probably ended up in Leavenworth. Another guy named Mac we found wrapped up in det cord trying to set it off with a bic lighter. Didn’t work.

Living in Hawaii, it was called "Maui Wowi" or "Kona Gold" depending on which island it was grown on. I think the only person that tried to sell me some, said "Hey you want something good?"

Archived