SASS Wire Forum

2023 summer Gunsmithing schools, for a interesting summer vacation

Buckshot Bob

1 minute ago, Doc Moses said:

Humm. Do they do online students?  A bit far to commute from Texas.

Nope , brick and mortar. They are summer classes that last a week to two weeks. When I was going through the program there allot of retirees would come for a class or two. A few spent almost the entire summer 

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Nope , brick and mortar. They are summer classes that last a week to two weeks. When I was going through the program there allot of retirees would come for a class or two. A few spent almost the entire summer 

Entire summer? 

Heck with that, do they rent apartments by the year?

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Entire summer? 

Heck with that, do they rent apartments by the year?

You can stay in the dorms, allot of people use campers or rent a cabin. It’s all about how many classes you want to take. One week or all of them. Susanville is actually a pretty scenic area in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Even close to Reno if you want to gamble or see a show 

3 hours ago, Itchy Trigger said:

Can't see prices, even when clicking on "Cost!"

There’s a phone number on this form that you have to fill out to be accepted before you can register. I’m sure they can get you a price list. When I was there in the late 80’s it was substantially cheaper for a CA residents. They just released this schedule a couple of days ago. 
http://www.lassencollege.edu/academics/programs/gunsmithing/Documents/NRA Summer Courses Links/Summer GSS Application.pdf

All the classes say they are 1 or 2 units. The last time I was in college it was always a credit hour, but I’m guessing it’s a standard price. One for residents and another for non residents like any college 

I didn’t even see a cost link so I guess you got further than I did 

4 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Also there are 4 different schools that offer NRA summer programs if one of the other 3 has a class that you would want or their location suits you better 

https://gunsmithing.nra.org/find-a-school/

PHEW!... I don't have to go to CA!  

13 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Also there are 4 different schools that offer NRA summer programs if one of the other 3 has a class that you would want or their location suits you better 

https://gunsmithing.nra.org/find-a-school/

I saw the phone number, but for some reason they didn't answer at 10:00 on a Saturday!

The college in Oklahoma charges $300 for a 1-week class. Pretty reasonable, the cost of travel/lodging/food would be far more. Doubt if I do it, but an interesting idea.

6 minutes ago, Griff said:

PHEW!... I don't have to go to CA!  

It would only be for a week or two. Lassen County really is a pretty sweet place to visit in the Sierra Nevadas. And it’s not really like the majority of the places in CA. 
I was just looking at Montgomery CC, they look to have a good summer program, and some star power. Hamilton Bowen teaches the Ruger SA class. They also have Irv Stone from Bar-Sto teaching a pistol barreling class 

1 minute ago, Buckshot Bob said:

It would only be for a week or two.

Yes, but it is like being hit by a skunk, it takes a long time after you escape to get the stink out.

12 minutes ago, Itchy Trigger said:

I saw the phone number, but for some reason they didn't answer at 10:00 on a Saturday!

The college in Oklahoma charges $300 for a 1-week class. Pretty reasonable, the cost of travel/lodging/food would be far more. Doubt if I do it, but an interesting idea.

I’m honestly surprised there isn’t a email address. The NRA summer school always used to have a coordinator that was in charge of the whole shindig 

Archived