SASS Wire Forum

Prayer Request

Doc Shapiro

Some few weeks ago my dad had a heart attack.  It was asymptomatic, or he was too stubborn to go to the doc.  Either way, he went in to the ER when he was short of breath and his hands were turning blue.  Turns out he has a VSD and several blocked arteries, along with some necrotic heart tissue.  He had open heart surgery today, 8 1/2 hours.  They were able to close the hole, and bypassed all the blockages.  He's in recovery.  Still under sedation with a breathing tube.  So far so  good.

I think we're through the worst as the surgeons gave him a 25% chance to survive the operation.  If you're so inclined, please put up a prayer for his recovery.

Many thanks.

Doc

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prayers are on the way from the Northern side of the Medicine line, from a fellow heart surgery survivor.

Prayers & best wishes for a speedy & trouble free recovery.

You got it, Doc!

Me ‘n’ Schoolmarm will be saying prayers for you and your dad!!

Holy Father, the only true physician of our souls and bodies, who cast down and lift up, accept us as we come in all humility to glorify you and thank you for preserving, by your grace, your servant, through his recent operation.

We thank you for blessing the attending physicians and the means employed for his cure, and for restoring him safe and sound to his  family, having fended off every danger against his body and soul.

Raise him speedily, we pray you, from the bed of illness on which he   lies and return him  to his  home and peaceful pursuits.

Grant that the suffering of his  body may avail for the purifying of his soul and may lead him to return, in thanksgiving, to the works of his  hands and to Christ Jesus, the Physician of soul and body. Amen.

Doc... You and your family have my prayers for yourselves. For your Father, he has my continuing prayers going forward as the Lord held your Father through the surgery and continues to do so. Prayers for all of you will be a priority of mine. May the Lord carry you all and bring you strength and healing for your father.

My prayers are for your father to recover soon.

I have a question if your father lives in the Sacramento area.  What hospital did the surgery.  The care I received at Mercy was excellent.  The surgeon was a Kaiser doctor.  I was lucky that I had no muscle damage just angina pain with vigorous activity.

P.S. My paternal grandfather died & father as well as maternal grandfather died of heart attacks.  I have always worried about coronary artery disease; I listen to my body.

Got an update from my sister.  Dad is still sedated and intubated, and the pump is still on to keep his heart from working too hard.  They did reduce the sedation some to check his mental capacity and the test came back normal, then they brought the sedation back up.

So far so good.  No news is good news right now.

Thanks for the prayers. 

Doc

On 2/3/2023 at 11:45 PM, Doc Shapiro said:

Some few weeks ago my dad had a heart attack.  It was asymptomatic, or he was too stubborn to go to the doc.  Either way, he went in to the ER when he was short of breath and his hands were turning blue.  Turns out he has a VSD and several blocked arteries, along with some necrotic heart tissue.  He had open heart surgery today, 8 1/2 hours.  They were able to close the hole, and bypassed all the blockages.  He's in recovery.  Still under sedation with a breathing tube.  So far so  good.

I think we're through the worst as the surgeons gave him a 25% chance to survive the operation.  If you're so inclined, please put up a prayer for his recovery.

Many thanks.

Doc

How’s he doing?  Will he go home soon?  

3 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

How’s he doing?  Will he go home soon?  

Not for a while, likely a few weeks.  They're very slowly weaning him off the pump.  He's still sedated and has a trach tube.  They're taking it slow and cautiously.  Not out of the woods yet.

Your Father remains in my prayers.

Keep the faith my friend.

Archived