SASS Wire Forum

it's amazing how little it takes to change the way you look

Alpo

I'm watching this NCIS episode. The main character sounded familiar as hell. He looked vaguely familiar, but it was his voice. I knew him. Except I couldn't place him.

1765671764_ScreenShot2018-02-27at11_21.11AMwww.imagesplitter_net.jpg.57e1b0b4d1f417efcc5171a7815f169d.jpg

So finally I looked him up. It's Drew Carey. As soon as I saw the name it was like a slap upside the head. Certainly it's Drew Carey.

But every show I've ever seen him on, he wears them black framed glasses.

118104.thumb.jpg.0e5262ab92863fd37e7a0b9c2a09cef2.jpg

And in this show he was wearing wire framed glasses. And that one little bitty change just completely threw me off.

Those glasses worked for Clark Kent!

Even funnier - he got Lasik; he doesn't need the glasses anymore.

He was issued the black frame glasses when he was in the Marines and got used to them; so continued wearing the similar style as he became successful.

Once he got his eyes fixed - the glasses had become a "trademark" and so he has continued to wear them since.

I would think that playing acting roles that are not "Drew Carey" (as opposed to his stand up or Price is Right) would free him up to other styles or going without them.

i tried those frames once - they were not comfortable - peripheral vision was always signaling a potential collision - back to wire rims and wireless frames , 

he has been on a lot of TV shows ive seen 

12 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

In the Navy we called those black glasses “BC Glasses” = Birth Control Glasses. 

Yes, my son in the USMC has a pair, They're still called BC glasses

"Paco" from HERBIE GOES BANANAS and many others: Joaquin Garay III

323021806_848241246234939_2141517829219309458_n.jpg

11474887776667108150.jpg

328115977_700064561763129_8546122365731353190_n.jpg

i did find that nature has a way of changing our appearance a lot - aging , while ive gone gray ...OK white , i once was dark haired , i went to a class reunion 30+ years ago now and there were fat bald guys and fat gray women wearing  my classmates name tags , some of them i didnt recognize at all , ive never gone back to one since , i actually thought to go to our 50th a few years back but talked myself out of it , 

I went to a mini family reunion in October. I saw cousins, nephews and nieces that I haven’t seen in years. I wouldn’t have recognized most of them if I was passing them on the street. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I went to a mini family reunion in October. I saw cousins, nephews and nieces that I haven’t seen in years. I wouldn’t have recognized most of them if I was passing them on the street. 

I can relate to that. My grandmother had 15, George had 1, mother, Ralph, Ray, and Bertha had 2, after that, 3, 4, 4, 5, 7, 9, and I’m not sure about the others but they were all younger than me. Oh Steve was too into getting high to have had any legitimately. Oh I remember once at the Candia range I saw a guy, I asked “Is your name Bill?”. He said “yeah, who are you?” “Your cousin Ed.”  After that we’d chat a little whenever I’d be in Candia. He’d always be helping his club.

I've had people recognize me by my voice who couldn't recognize my face, even on the phone when they couldn't see my face

Forty years ago I looked a lot Like Drew in that first picture.  My forehead is higher, now, I'm prematurely blonde ( went from red when I was a kid to brown in Junior High, to black when I went in the Army, blonde and blonder for the last 20 or so years). I'm craggier looking and my ears have cotter so big I could pass for a Ferengi, and I'm 2 inches shorter.  That's why my forehead looks higher.  I shrank through it.  After my intra-ocular lens transplants way back in 2005 I don't need glasses any more except to read inside of  a foot or thereabout.

I'm almost exactly the same weight I was when I got out of the Corps.....it's gotten shifted around some, or a lot.

I'm still stunningly gorgeous though.

Hey!  Where in hell did my icon / picture go?  Put it back right now or meet me out front.  Wear a gun.

Look out for traffic!  This still the Old West but the roads are paved and everyone drives too fast.  I'd hate to see you get Buicked  or Subarued before I can shoot you.

Archived