SASS Wire Forum

Revolvers... are a slippery slope

Last Call Saul

2 years ago before I got into SASS, I had 1 (one) revolver that almost never left the safe....

then I got a couple for SASS, then I had to get a backup pair, then.... I don't know what happened...somehow I own 10?! 

20230203_202650.jpg

20230203_142418.jpg

20230203_203418 (1).jpg

I have a great love of revolvers. Trouble is I my wallet doesn’t match my desires. :D

I recently discovered that that my Ruger GP100 is lonely. It doesn’t care for hanging out with the Smith & Wessons and it barely tolerates my Ruger single actions. I have no choice but to find it a Ruger DA to pal around with. For some reason my wife doesn’t believe me on this. :rolleyes:

about 6-7 years ago I sold a beautiful Ruger Redhawk 6" in 44 mag - blued with rosewood grips.... I regret that decision... 

my next revolver purchase will be either that if I can find one in great shape or the Smith 29-2 to match my 27-2.... that's unless I break down and get a snake gun...

Saul, you probably need to be aware that four (the amount in the first picture) plus four (the amount in the second picture) plus three (the amount in the third picture) equals eleven, not ten.

5 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Saul, you probably need to be aware that four (the amount in the first picture) plus four (the amount in the second picture) plus three (the amount in the third picture) equals eleven, not ten.

I am in denial and will never admit to owning more than 10!!!

And I just got that beautiful 1968 Super Blackhawk today, so still not used to it... it looks unfired or close to it, 3 screws, no trasfer bar... spotless! :)  :)

Crap! I just realized that since I sold my Uberti Scofields I have no .45 Colt revlover... need to fix it... bonus is coming in a month!

8 minutes ago, Last Call Saul said:

I am in denial and will never admit to owning more than 10!!!

Well you might actually be okay.

That middle gun in the bottom picture - according to the federal government that's not really a gun. And if it's not a gun, it obviously cannot be a revolver.

So it doesn't count, then you were right and I was wrong. You've only got 10.

Wait til you try explain to your spouse how these things reproduce in a safe. 

46 minutes ago, Kid Sopris, SASS Regulator said:

Wait til you try explain to your spouse how these things reproduce in a safe. 

few months ago my wife finally downsized to about 45-50 pairs of shoes.... we have a rule, I don't count her shoes, she doesn't count my guns

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

...I recently discovered that that my Ruger GP100 is lonely. It doesn’t care for hanging out with the Smith & Wessons and it barely tolerates my Ruger single actions. I have no choice but to find it a Ruger DA to pal around with. For some reason my wife doesn’t believe me on this. :rolleyes:

Have you looked at the .357 Magnum Ruger Wiley Clapp II? It might be what you need.

Otherwise the GP100s in 44 Special are pretty sweet.

:D

Last Call Saul...

That X frame Smith in 460 might count as two. Definitely in weight, muzzle blast, and felt recoil anyway. ;)

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have a great love of revolvers. Trouble is I my wallet doesn’t match my desires. :D

Same here. It all started with a  Ruger SBH 44 mag and a model 19 Smith back in the early '90s. I still have that Ruger but sadly traded the Smith off decades ago. I find myself appreciative of what revolvers still are, can do and will always be... classy and useful, some downright sexy. :o

Lately I have acquired more revolvers than anything else, and I've even traded off most everything else I have (except for my gen 5 9mm Glock Perfections... never never never be without a Glock :D) for more revolvers. I have a local dealer who always gives fair trade deals and he always has an interesting revolver selection.

My other gunlove is lever action rifles. Another rabbit hole. Lol

I was 18 when I bought my first Marlin 1894 and 18 when I shot my first 44 mag, a stainless  7.5" Ruger SBH. I was hooked.

And then there's rifle caliber revolvers... that Smith X Frame in 350 Legend is calling my name. Or was it the 30-30 BFR? Or the 444 Marlin BFR?

2 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Have you looked at the .357 Magnum Ruger Wiley Clapp II? It might be what you need.

Otherwise the GP100s in 44 Special are pretty sweet.

:D

Holy Cow! How many are there?

Not a fan of brass bead front sights. No biggie, easy to change. This one is the one that makes my heart go pitty-pat. 
https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2018/04/wiley-clapp-ruger-gp100-revolver/

It’s funny, I find stainless to be very functional, but about as sexy as…my Glocks. There are 2 Redhawks that I like the concept of, the model 5050, .45 ACP / .45 Colt 4.2” Bbl, and the model 5051 8-shot .357 Magnum  2.75” Bbl.

Unfortunately the .45 is listed as “limited availability” which tells me it has a good chance of going away, though I haven’t seen either in real life since Spring of 2018 at a Cabela’s in Oregon. I do not care to buy either one “used”.

https://ruger.com/products/redhawk/specSheets/5050.html

https://ruger.com/products/redhawk/specSheets/5051.html

18 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Holy Cow! How many are there?

Not a fan of brass bead front sights. No biggie, easy to change. This one is the one that makes my heart go pitty-pat. 
https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2018/04/wiley-clapp-ruger-gp100-revolver/

https://ruger.com/products/redhawk/specSheets/5050.html

https://ruger.com/products/redhawk/specSheets/5051.html

Pat, my personal experience with the Ruger Redhawk 45acp/45 Colt is this. 45 Colt- a great shooter. 45acp- the Ruger moon clips suck. I've never been able to fire off all six. Maybe a thicker aftermarket moon clip would work better but I'm not going to spend the effort trying. It's a great 45 Colt though. Balanced well, hefty w/o feeling heavy, decent trigger from factory, accurate.

The Ruger Redhawk 8 shot .357? Hell yeah! I want one too! Can you combine awesome with awesome? Ruger did in this package! I've handled the Smith counterpart and they just don't fit my hand. 

I've handled the 7 shot Ruger Wiley Clapp and thought is was one of the best feeling DA revolvers Ruger has done of late. For a factory gun it has a great trigger, fit and finish was superb for Ruger and the weight and balance was spot on. Twould make a great carry piece. 

22 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Pat, my personal experience with the Ruger Redhawk 45acp/45 Colt is this. 45 Colt- a great shooter. 45acp- the Ruger moon clips suck. I've never been able to fire off all six. Maybe a thicker aftermarket moon clip would work better but I'm not going to spend the effort trying. It's a great 45 Colt though. Balanced well, hefty w/o feeling heavy, decent trigger from factory, accurate.

The Ruger Redhawk 8 shot .357? Hell yeah! I want one too! Can you combine awesome with awesome? Ruger did in this package! I've handled the Smith counterpart and they just don't fit my hand. 

I've handled the 7 shot Ruger Wiley Clapp and thought is was one of the best feeling DA revolvers Ruger has done of late. For a factory gun it has a great trigger, fit and finish was superb for Ruger and the weight and balance was spot on. Twould make a great carry piece. 

Thank you for that info on the .45. I was not aware of this. I have little patience with “making it work” when it comes to guns, but you’re right, it shoots .45 Colt. It gets high marks for that. 

I came so close  to buying the .357 8 shot in Oregon, but I had just spent a bunch of money on crummy house stuff and my wife was giving me that “I dare you” look so I said “I will get this later”. Turns out it is MUCH later, if at all. image.png.cd194d42921a8048c470fa0734af8629.png

I have an S&W 327 Night Guard. It’s an 8-shot .357 with a 2.5” barrel. It is hands down my favorite revolver. I would love a S&W 327 TRR8, but I’ll be damned if I will pay $1600 for one. 
I have been considering a Taurus 608. It’s their version of the 327. But I would prefer the Redhawk by a wide margin. There’s something about a revolver with a short barrel and 8 rounds of fiery goodness that just warms the cockles of my heart. :D

Here’s a photo of Brutus, my only named gun. 

S&W 327 Night Guard

435BECC3-49AC-40F9-86E8-E16FFC700C66.thumb.jpeg.ffbf35bf7a34f8df95bc2f038081cf89.jpeg

There is a used 329PD 44 mag locally I want or need... haven't decided yet. :D

Is this a sickness or just a beautiful disorder? :D Sixgun Syndrome?

11 hours ago, Alpo said:

That middle gun in the bottom picture - according to the federal government that's not really a gun. And if it's not a gun, it obviously cannot be a revolver.

Soooo, if those aren't really guns...  I don't think that I'll be able to convince the wife that my eight "not guns" don't count towards the total.  It may have worked before she got into CAS, but definitely not now.

But it's a thought.

BS

55 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Thank you for that info on the .45. I was not aware of this. I have little patience with “making it work” when it comes to guns, but you’re right, it shoots .45 Colt. It gets high marks for that. 

I came so close  to buying the .357 8 shot in Oregon, but I had just spent a bunch of money on crummy house stuff and my wife was giving me that “I dare you” look so I said “I will get this later”. Turns out it is MUCH later, if at all. image.png.cd194d42921a8048c470fa0734af8629.png

I have an S&W 327 Night Guard. It’s an 8-shot .357 with a 2.5” barrel. It is hands down my favorite revolver. I would love a S&W 327 TRR8, but I’ll be damned if I will pay $1600 for one. 
I have been considering a Taurus 608. It’s their version of the 327. But I would prefer the Redhawk by a wide margin. There’s something about a revolver with a short barrel and 8 rounds of fiery goodness that just warms the cockles of my heart. :D

Here’s a photo of Brutus, my only named gun. 

S&W 327 Night Guard

435BECC3-49AC-40F9-86E8-E16FFC700C66.thumb.jpeg.ffbf35bf7a34f8df95bc2f038081cf89.jpeg

That's an awesome gun!!!

17 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

That's an awesome gun!!!

Thank you. My favorite picture of it with my favorite semiauto, the Glock 45.

7887DB90-597E-44FF-9AB5-1235F788C3AC.thumb.jpeg.fa7c27644cfbb086261e6e992d21e47e.jpeg

I need to get some better photos of my guns. 

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

There is a used 329PD 44 mag locally I want or need... haven't decided yet. :D

Is this a sickness or just a beautiful disorder? :D Sixgun Syndrome?

That 329PD is a cool revolver. The price isn’t as cool, but it’s a lot cooler than the S&W 327 TRR8 @ $1600 street price. The 329PD lists at $1329.
https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/n-frame-163414

13 hours ago, Last Call Saul said:

I don't know what happened...somehow I own 10?! 

Well, that's a good start. When I started Cowboy I owned a second generation .45 Colt SAA. We're up to 10 PAIRS of Cowboy guns and that not counting singles. There's two of us so we NEED ten pairs.

42 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That 329PD is a cool revolver. The price isn’t as cool, but it’s a lot cooler than the S&W 327 TRR8 @ $1600 street price. The 329PD lists at $1329.
https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/n-frame-163414

The one I'm looking at is used and priced much better than not.  So why haven't I jumped on it? Cause there's a Ruger there I really want too. And I can't decide... :D

30 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Well, that's a good start. When I started Cowboy I owned a second generation .45 Colt SAA. We're up to 10 PAIRS of Cowboy guns and that not counting singles. There's two of us so we NEED ten pairs.

Absolutely!! You can sell me that Colt though anytime you'd like!! 

5 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Here's the Crooked River Pete rule,

If you know how many you have, you don't have enough!

I still have more single actions than I have double actions. Or is it the other way around? I can't remember anymore. ;)

22 hours ago, Last Call Saul said:

2 years ago before I got into SASS, I had 1 (one) revolver that almost never left the safe....

then I got a couple for SASS, then I had to get a backup pair, then.... I don't know what happened...somehow I own 10?! 

20230203_202650.jpg

20230203_142418.jpg

20230203_203418 (1).jpg

I count 11…

I put condoms on the barrels on my revolvers when I put them in the safe, but they don’t seem to be working.:D

4 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I put condoms on the barrels on my revolvers when I put them in the safe, but they don’t seem to be working.:D

Could have told you it did not work....Mine seem to be very smart and get around the problem....Still feel like rabbits...Have not checked into those in storage...

Texas Lizard

Archived