SASS Wire Forum

This guy is doing oddball primer testing for anyone interested

Buckshot Bob

1 hour ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

But if he’s not testing them in cowboy guns with light hammer springs…

But he is testing them in a Taurus with ignition problems. Much like sass guns with light hammer springs. If you have a gun sprung so lightly it will only set off federals that’s what you’re going to have to find, there’s no sense in using anything else. 

5 hours ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

Our guns AREN’T sprung so lightly they only set off Federals!!

But they had problems with Ginex and SA! 3 or 4% failure rate on first try.

Everyone’s custom guns are going to be different. Springs, headspace, firing pin protrusion, firing pin diameter, end shake and the quality of the reloads all make a difference. If you want 100% assurance a certain primer is going to work in your gun you’re just going to have to try them. But at least a guy like this can give you an educated guess. He’s only tested one of the brands so far, it will be interesting to see how the rest go. What other primers besides federal do your guns set off reliability? 

29 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Everyone’s custom guns are going to be different. Springs, headspace, firing pin protrusion, firing pin diameter, end shake and the quality of the reloads all make a difference. If you want 100% assurance a certain primer is going to work in your gun you’re just going to have to try them. But at least a guy like this can give you an educated guess. He’s only tested one of the brands so far, it will be interesting to see how the rest go. What other primers besides federal do your guns set off reliability? 

I reloaded with Winchester for more than 20 years!

But I’m only going to use federal from now on.

I loaded some .38spl using GINEX small pistol primers for a Pard.

Our experience went like this:

I used a RCBS hand primer. Some primers went into the cases, from the same lot, easily, others I had to really push to seat them.

They worked OK in warmer weather, but there were a few perforated primers.

When the loads were tried in cold weather; minus 0 C. my buddy had perforated primers, squibs and there was a lot of unburned CFE Pistol Powder with loads of 6.7; 7.0 and 7.3 grains of CFE and a 158 grain LRNFP bullet.

In discussion with an on-line friend here in Canada, he reported similar issues with GINEX primers. 

On 2/4/2023 at 3:12 PM, Buckshot Bob said:

I found and bought a bunch of Aguila and have been testing them. So far they have all gone bang in my Rugers. Should have also included my Uberti 73 rifle as well.

TM

Archived