SASS Wire Forum

Ripening off the vine

Alpo

I'm sure everyone has seen, or at least heard of, Vine ripened tomatoes. These are tomatoes that are left on the vine until they are ripe, and picked once they are ripe.

Most tomatoes, however, orARE picked while green, and they ripen in transit.

I know that tomatoes will do that, and so will avocados and bananas. Oranges will continue to ripen.

But what about other plants? Potatoes? Beans? Corn? Wheat?

I just noticed that all the ones I listed that I know will ripen after they've been picked were fruit. Will vegetables continue to ripen? Is it only fruit that will continue?

14 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I just noticed that all the ones I listed that I know will ripen after they've been picked were fruit. Will vegetables continue to ripen? Is it only fruit that will continue?

Tomatoes continue to ripen and they are a vegetable. I fruit can certainly be a vegetable; fruit being a botanical term and vegetable a culinary one. I think avocodos  qualify, too.

Actually it was the post in the chicken cop thread, where he was talking about a vegetable plot and giving away bushels of vegetables.

It reminded me of a man down the street that had a garden both inside the fence in his backyard, and outside the fence on city right of way. He told me that the guy stopped and asked if he could have some of the vegetables growing outside the fence. And he picked it clean.

Took every vegetable in the plot, whether it was ripe or not. And that got me thinking about how some vegetables will continue to ripen after they have been picked. But I wondered if they all will.

1 minute ago, Alpo said:

Actually it was the post in the chicken cop thread, where he was talking about a vegetable plot and giving away bushels of vegetables.

It reminded me of a man down the street that had a garden both inside the fence in his backyard, and outside the fence on city right of way. He told me that the guy stopped and asked if he could have some of the vegetables growing outside the fence. And he picked it clean.

Took every vegetable in the plot, whether it was ripe or not. And that got me thinking about how some vegetables will continue to ripen after they have been picked. But I wondered if they all will.

Dont mess with the Chicken Cops they will peck into your business all the time 

4 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Tomatoes continue to ripen and they are a vegetable. I fruit can certainly be a vegetable; fruit being a botanical term and vegetable a culinary one. I think avocodos  qualify, too.

Actually they are a Fruit as are Peppers, Cucumbers, Pumpkins, and yes even Corn kernels.

Best wishes

1 hour ago, Texas Jack Black said:

Actually they are a Fruit as are Peppers, Cucumbers, Pumpkins, and yes even Corn kernels.

Corn can be considered either a grain or a vegetable, based on when it is harvested. The maturity level of corn at harvest affects both its use at meals and its nutritional value. Corn that is harvested when fully mature and dry is considered a grain. It can be milled into cornmeal and used in such foods as corn tortillas and cornbread. Popcorn is also harvested when it matures and is considered to be a whole grain. On the other hand, fresh corn (e.g., corn on the cob, frozen corn kernels) is harvested when it is soft and has kernels full of liquid. Fresh corn is considered a starchy vegetable. Its nutrient content differs from dry corn, and it is eaten in different ways -- often on the cob, as a side dish, or mixed with other vegetables.

USDA

A fruit is a botanical term. A vegetable is a term that can be applied to plants in general, as in the 'vegetable world' as opposed to the 'animal world.' But otherwise, in common usage, the term vegetable is a culinary term, that applies to how it is used in cuisine: fruits are sweet, vegetables are savory. By and large.

But then this has been going on since time immemorial: "is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable?". Answer: both. They are not exclusive categories.

Sort of like nuts. Lots of culinary nuts are not botanical nuts.

Not quite, C

14 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Corn can be considered either a grain or a vegetable, based on when it is harvested. The maturity level of corn at harvest affects both its use at meals and its nutritional value. Corn that is harvested when fully mature and dry is considered a grain. It can be milled into cornmeal and used in such foods as corn tortillas and cornbread. Popcorn is also harvested when it matures and is considered to be a whole grain. On the other hand, fresh corn (e.g., corn on the cob, frozen corn kernels) is harvested when it is soft and has kernels full of liquid. Fresh corn is considered a starchy vegetable. Its nutrient content differs from dry corn, and it is eaten in different ways -- often on the cob, as a side dish, or mixed with other vegetables.

USDA

Corn is a seed derived from a flower/ Ovary of a corn plant so technically it is a fruit.

Corn is a Caryopsis which is a type of fruit.

Most tomatoes are picked green and gassed to make them ripe….or appear ripe.

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are fruit.

Wisdom is knowing that they don't belong in fruit salad.

You beat me to it, Joe.

PF

5 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Most tomatoes are picked green and gassed to make them ripe….or appear ripe.

That is why most of them don't taste very good.

PF

Archived