SASS Wire Forum

Russian Air Force

I was just watching a news report on an attack on a Russian air base 300 kilometers inside Russia.  I grabbed a screen shot off the report.  That sure looks like a bi-plane.  Maybe that is why the Russian air force has been so ineffective in Ukraine.

1202518075_Screenshot2023-02-03at11_21_32AM.thumb.png.e4c0b5d40f9a02e8a2cd5680980ce5c9.png

think that's an Anatov An-2

Smart (IMHO) of the Ukrainians to limit their attacks on military targets inside Russia.

That Antonov An-2 is a rugged, reliable workhorse.  Designed in 1947 and in production to 2001.  It is capable of getting into the air in under 600 feet, and land in about 700 feet.  It has good low speed capability, stall speed is a paltry 31 mps.  Payload of about 5,000 pounds.  Capable of operating off of unpaved fields.

If it works, what difference if it's a biplane?  

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I was just watching a news report on an attack on a Russian air base 300 kilometers inside Russia.  I grabbed a screen shot off the report.  That sure looks like a bi-plane.  Maybe that is why the Russian air force has been so ineffective in Ukraine.

1202518075_Screenshot2023-02-03at11_21_32AM.thumb.png.e4c0b5d40f9a02e8a2cd5680980ce5c9.png

It appears that someone removed the engine. Wonder who’s 4X4 it’s powering? :D

If they are used as a drone, at lower altitudes, their size and low speed may make them an easier target for a soldier or two with an RPG or a single machine gun.

Not worth lighting up a radar or anti-aircraft battery, if there was optical identification of the target.

56 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

the Spery swordfish , was out dated , when it found the weak spot , in the Bismark 

IIRC 

CB 

Luckiest shot ever! :wub:

A lucky hit on the rudder by a Fairy Swordfish or "Stringbag" as it was known.

An English cousin flew one in the RN, Fleet Air Arm.

11 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

A lucky hit on the rudder by a Fairy Swordfish or "Stringbag" as it was known.

An English cousin flew one in the RN, Fleet Air Arm.

.... was there not also a squadron of "Stringbags" based on Malta and harassing Mediterranean convoys trying to supply Rommel ?  :huh:

4 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

.... was there not also a squadron of "Stringbags" based on Malta and harassing Mediterranean convoys trying to supply Rommel ?  :huh:

Yes, there was.  Probably why the Swordfish sunk more enemy shipping than any other Allied aircraft in WWII.

The Swordfish was one of the great unsung aircraft of WWII.

Archived