SASS Wire Forum

Shipping a firearm through FedEx

Dantankerous

I have a Ruger revolver that is going back to Ruger for inspection and repair. Upon having communicated with Ruger customer service they sent me a pre paid shipping label for FedEx. However, on FedEx's website it clearly states a non licensee is prohibited from sending a firearm through FedEx. (I am waiting for Ruger to respond to my question on this.) I told Ruger I am NOT an FFL. 

Anyone experience this?

I suppose I can take it to my FFL and him ship it, but when did this rule change? I've never before encountered this on FedEx's website. Is this new?

I always just use my FFL guy. Maybe Ruger doesn't know about the FED EX policy change if it's recent.

52 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

You are not shipping it. 
Ruger is shipping it to themselves.

Ive been through this with Ruger. But call Ruger to verify if you like.

This is pretty much what Ruger just told me. Their label ships the package.

A private citizen cannot ship handguns through USPS, FedEx and some other carriers.  BUT a firearm being returned to the manufacturer for repair or warranty work is in a different category.

I shipped handguns through the USPS several years ago. FFL Gunsmith sent prepaid label with sender and sendee that were the same. I was basically acting as his agent when he sent the gun to himself. Needless to say, I still sweated handing over a box with handguns at Post Office and was glad when they were delivered .

Ruger is the shipper not you.  They are a FFL.  They send these return labels out every day.  Slap it on the package and drop it off at any FedEx shipping place,  They will take it no questions asked.

I sent a Ruger Vaquero back to Ruger for repairs last October.  I took it to an actual FedEx ship center instead of the kiosk in Walmart/Dollar General/etc.  They didn't give me an issue.  I'm not an FFL, and I still worried until it made it back into my possession a week later.

• 1 month later...

apologies for bumping an old thread but i just disvovered this change in fedex & ups policy.  a local gun range wants $40 fee plus $35 fedex to ship my wheel gun to an out of state gunsmith.

20 minutes ago, WOLFY said:

apologies for bumping an old thread but i just disvovered this change in fedex & ups policy.  a local gun range wants $40 fee plus $35 fedex to ship my wheel gun to an out of state gunsmith.

Ask the gunsmith if they can send a prepaid label on their account and add the cost to your bill.  

i’ll gve him a call

edit: he does almost all his work locally, so he doesn’t even have a fedex acct.  

On 2/3/2023 at 2:19 PM, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

I am shocked , SHOCKED I tell ya :huh:

y'all got guns 

CB  

Well we did but we are shipping them off to be destroyed to make the world a safe place. :rolleyes:

I am lucky in that I have a local FFL that will ship things for me at 10 dollars over his cost.. Also only charges 10 dollars for a transfer. I will be very sad when he retires in a couple of years. He will be 85 then and says he thinks that will be time to retire.

Howdy,

We need a FEDERAL law allowing shipping to and from the manufacturer of anything.

Ownership is not changing and most shipping involves a change of owner.

A few years back I sent in a ruger for a recall fix.

It was amazing how fast it moved to the manufacturer and back to me.

Baby related products kill too.

Best

CR

It should be perfectly legal for an individual to ship whatever they care to… the USPS (as a govt entity) shouldn’t infringe on any rights.

Archived