SASS Wire Forum

Weather Terminology

Utah Bob #35998

Used to be it was 20 Below. Now it’s Negative 20. Why?

The same reason we now have "atmospheric rivers," "bomb cyclones" and other stuff that has appeared the past few years.  To make news and re-inforce the narrative of climate change.  I remember in the old days here in the desert we had dust storms.  Now they are haboobs.  What boob thought of this?  We also use to have spring rain.  Now it is a monsoon.  Monsoons are what you have in India - 40 days and 40 nights of rain.

i think it might have a relative nature to below freezing or below zero degrees F , there is a difference of over 30 degrees , ive heard folks talking of "below freezing" and often wondered exactly why , but then i live where we go below zero often and i take that cold for granted in the coarse of winter , someone way south might see freezing as cold ......to me thats refrigerator temps , 

13 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The same reason we now have "atmospheric rivers," "bomb cyclones" and other stuff that has appeared the past few years.  To make news and re-inforce the narrative of climate change.  I remember in the old days here in the desert we had dust storms.  Now they are haboobs.  What boob thought of this?  We also use to have spring rain.  Now it is a monsoon.  Monsoons are what you have in India - 40 days and 40 nights of rain.

Hit this mail right on the head. My wife and I were talking about this the other night. It seems like it’s all designed to put a dark spin on things. Over sensationalizing common weather patterns for dramatic effect. The “bomb cyclone” thing really got me. When I was younger Cyclones were Pacific Ocean weather events similar to hurricanes with less force. When I was looking up this “bomb cyclone” definition I found the term “explosive cyclogenisis”. Impressive title for the same bomb cyclone phenomenon. I heard a weather guy attribute the term Bomb Cyclone to some meteorologist in the west. I guess he needed his name in the weather history books or something. Perhaps using the words bomb cyclone, 3 syllables, brought connotations of fear and foreboding that the 8 syllables Explosive Cyclogensis wouldn’t. Or perhaps 8 syllables hurt his pea brain. 

The station I watch here still says 20 below and sometimes they say minus 20. It depends on who the weather forecaster I assume.

I called it 19 below this morning. Snot freezing to your moustache cold.:lol:

Archived