SASS Wire Forum

On the news this morning

Utah Bob #35998

It seems people, mostly your urban types, are putting in chicken coops in the hope that they will be able to have cheap eggs. Of course unless you’re selling eggs you won’t be saving a dime, due to the cost of keeping chickens. Now the local chicken rescue sanctuary (who knew there was such a thing?) is worried that they’ll be inundated with rescue chickens when people realize they aren’t saving money and can’t handle the maintenance. 
And I thought, “Turn your chickens over the the chicken sanctuary? Don’t you have a recipe book?”.

3 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

It seems people, mostly your urban types, are putting in chicken coops in the hope that they will be able to have cheap eggs. Don’t you have a recipe book?”.

Bob, you have to remember, for these same urban type people, chickens for cooking come from the store. Just like steak or pork chops.

Chicken cops?

I thought those were the guys that stood around outside the school, waiting for backup and orders, while the students inside were being shot.

there is an ordnance in town to prevent the keeping of chickens , but it is not enforced , unless , ya have riled. up certain groups 

I doubt , most folks under 40 , know , how to clean a bird anymore 

CB 

I find lots of fethers and remains over the hill from predation 

Our town is considering letting anyone with a half acre lot or larger have up to 10 hens (no roosters).

I have a half acre lot and I don't want any damned chickens next door, nor any other farm animas(dogs and cat excluded).

This is coming for the IN-migrants from California who are infesting us over the last couple of years.

Next they'll be wanting to put large hotels in our residential neighborhoods!  OH, WAIT!!!  They are already doing that thanks to our realtor mayor and his friends.

7 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Bob, you have to remember, for these same urban type people, chickens for cooking come from the store. Just like steak or pork chops.

The chickens, steaks, and chops we cook all come from the store. I don't think this is remarkable. After all, we don't think they are made there.....

4 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

The chickens, steaks, and chops we cook all come from the store. I don't think this is remarkable. After all, we don't think they are made there.....

We had a local that did! She wrote a long letter a couple years ago about the cruelty to cows and cafes. Ended it with she couldn't understand why we have to kill cattle when we can just buy steak at the grocery instead of harming innocent animals.:lol:

2 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

They think that they ARE made there. The actual slaughtering and otherwise preparing animals for food doesn't compute for them. These are the same people who think that they are saving the planet by driving electric cars because electricity comes from an outlet, not coal fired power plants.

I sure was glad I had laying chickens during the virus when eggs were hard to find.  Unfortunately my current flock is not laying like it should so come spring I will replace them with more birds.  

my old hens had stopped laying after the virus so I set them free to roam the yard and eat bugs and we just found a hidden nest of 14 large eggs with super yellow yoke.  Wonderful treat.

i for one am not gonna raise chickens for eggs but if i did i could clean one for the pot/pan - id rather clean a pheasant tho , we have a nice lady that lives close enough that has layers and provides eggs , a half acre is not enough property for chickens and what it takes to care for them , im on 2 1/2 and my lots too small , 

this whole deal with suddenly food shortages are following rising fuel prices and shipping issues as well as our current labor shortages in this unemployment that along with the constant printing of money and telling us inflation does not exist is all part of what we voted in , a bunch of lies and changes to our way of life by folks flying around in private jets telling us oiur stoves are causing climate change , really ? is this what we wanted ? just askin ............im callin BS 

and ill not disagree with you , i think so too , but we still got what they wanted and this country is in a downhill slide because of it , it will take a lot to correct the damage done , ive not seen this since carter , we got out of that but im too old to see that change happen again , 

We've had layer chickens for 25 years. Feed has jumped in price the last couple of years. We've  raised Cornish cross meat chickens several times and butchered them. Really great on the bbq. But for soups you are better off with the older layers or "spent hens".

I thought it was  a Merriam's. Then I thought maybe a Rio Grande. But I believe it is in fact, a Jive Turkey.

635ECDB3-7485-44D1-9612-BB7BFC540EE5.jpeg

Archived