SASS Wire Forum

Big Lube Bullets

Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329

Now that Springfield Slim has retired, is anybody casting Big Lube Bullets for sale?

Shootin Fox -- Maybe you will fill the need.

Lots of BP shooters here that would become new customers!

--Dawg

Agree. :D

I prefer SPG Tropic for summer use.  It gets hot in the summer where I shoot.  That's what I lube with.  (I cast and lube my own and would not be a customer.)

Hey Dawg, I am all set up to do all the casting and lubing for most of the commonly used big lube projectiles (44-40, 38-40 DD, 32-20, 38 Slim, 38 Snakebite, 45 PRS, and others to be added as demand requires). I'm currently working on jumping through all the ridiculous legal hoops necessary to sell lead bullets, and hope to be able to offer Big Lube bullets for sale. Lube will be SPG as I work through my existing supply, but I have Springfield Slim's lube recipe, and will be transitioning to that quickly. Keep your eyes peeled for Dark Side Lead Co. 

DMP this is good to hear. I've been shooting subs but placed an order for the real thing yesterday and was wondering where the bullets would come from. Hopefully you'll be casting a 38 cal 125 g.

14 hours ago, Dallas McPewPew said:

Hey Dawg, I am all set up to do all the casting and lubing for most of the commonly used big lube projectiles (44-40, 38-40 DD, 32-20, 38 Slim, 38 Snakebite, 45 PRS, and others to be added as demand requires). I'm currently working on jumping through all the ridiculous legal hoops necessary to sell lead bullets, and hope to be able to offer Big Lube bullets for sale. Lube will be SPG as I work through my existing supply, but I have Springfield Slim's lube recipe, and will be transitioning to that quickly. Keep your eyes peeled for Dark Side Lead Co. 

And 45 RNFP big lube

9 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

And 45 RNFP big lube

Yes sir

14 minutes ago, Palmetto Traveller said:

DMP this is good to hear. I've been shooting subs but placed an order for the real thing yesterday and was wondering where the bullets would come from. Hopefully you'll be casting a 38 cal 125 g.

I sure will! 

• 2 months later...
41 minutes ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

I am sure I heard he was no longer in business.  How long ago did you buy make your purchase(s)?

Have you tried to contact Dick, some molds show out of stock and some show available.  I know when ever I have gotten molds from him he always responded fast.

11 hours ago, Lunger Dan said:

getting the molds from?

Accurate molds and NOE (Night Owl Enterprises) both have some pistol molds with large lube grooves.   And Tom at Accurate will make a mold custom.  If you wanted to measure any given Big Lube mold in all the critical points, he would cut from your engineering drawing.  Does excellent molds.

good luck, GJ

• 1 month later...

I talked to Dallas at the Ohio State Championship. He's still getting things together and set up. Be patient. He'll probably post when he has inventory to sell. 

31 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

I talked to Dallas at the Ohio State Championship. He's still getting things together and set up. Be patient. He'll probably post when he has inventory to sell. 

Thanks Seamus.  To update everyone, I'm building inventory as we speak so I can hit the ground running.  The current hold up is all the bribery at all levels of government to get my ffl (you wouldn't think you need an ffl to sell chunks of lead, but the robber barons want their share of everyone's hard earned dollar), which takes zoning variances, special hearings, etc etc, I'm going to be several grand into this just in government fees.  Appreciate your support and patience, and I'll update here as things progress. 

Dallas

Dawg, have you tried Desperado Cowboy bullets? I used them for black powder and also for smokeless. Reasonable prices and pretty quick shipping.

If you run a Master Caster, Magma makes the mold. I know a caster in the UK that has them from Magma. He brings me a few every year. I wouldn't want to pay the freight from there.

Good luck getting much from Magma right now. I think all they're making right now are molds, but you'd have to call. I don't know if they can be used as hand-held.

• 3 weeks later...

This probably does not interest many of you "big Lube" bullet shooters as most are probably not 38 special enthusiasts.  But, I will post as I have thought interesting when hearing the statement many, many years ago.  Wally who many of you knew, and owned Black Dawge Cartridge Company shared with me when I got started in black that the 145 gr. LRNFP was the optimum bullet for 38 special with black.  I shot it with Goex (then Cowboy Goex) for many years.   When Wally shut down around 2006, I bought much of his equipment and supplies.  However my purchase excluded bullet making machines, SPG luber,  and molds, that went to Powder Inc in AR.  Guessing the demand for that bullet and its SPG lube was not a profitable project for Jerry,  although he continued to keep me in supply of that particular bullet for a long time, quality became an issue (quality being just to much lube on bullet that it consistently gummed-up seater far to quickly).  I liked the 1050 BD set-up dropping powder then filler but with the bullet problem I eventually changed course to sub and coated bullets.  I found several weights in coated bullets worked well, and accurately (105, 125, 135, & 147).  Anyway, I thought the optimum statement was interesting and still do not doubt it for its implication....and, Wally was a master for many of us on the Goex team.

let's make smoke.

I’m interested in .457 round ball if your making those.  Crown bullet is out of business also.  Hunters Supply is the next one I’ve found.  I may have to start making my own.  

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Dallas,

Count me in on the 38-40 (38WCF) Big Lube . The Best bullet for REAL Black Powder. 

It's the Flame, Boom, and Smoke for me. NO BP subs for me. 

Thanks,

Mad Dog McGee

I'm admittedly biased. I have my favorite Big Lube bullet. It was the original one. My local guy, whom I gave the Magma Cherry to was the only guy that I know who was producing large commercial quanities of the Snakebite Grease Wagon bullets. Most producers were using the 6 cavity hand molds. I don't know who ended up with the Cherry. Not sure if there is still a big calling for such a bullet.

Snakebite

FWIW, the MAV Dutchman 44 bullet was the best seller by far. The PRS  45 was second, and the Snakebite 38 and the J/P 45 were always battling it out for 3rd and 4th. The other 12 BP bullets I did were probably about 20% of sales, combined. So Dallas has molds for the top 80%, plus a couple others that I know of.

I love my Accurate molds, but Tom will not cut a mold with lube grooves as deep as the LEE style. If anybody REALLY wanted a duplicate of the original Big Lubes, you might be able to get them from LEE Precision, as group buys from them was where most of them came from before Dick Dastardly at biglube.com started offering them, and LEE actually made most of those.

Dallas,

You doing any big lube 200 grain RNFP .452s?

Archived