SASS Wire Forum

Want to trade powder

Jay Vendetta

Hi there thanks for looking. I'm in southwest Ohio and looking to trade for clays powder if possible. I have 11 pounds of tite group recently purchased and I would like to trade 1 for 1 for clays powder. 

I could meet at any of the local matches, middletown, xenia, or piqua once matches start up again. 

Clays is my preferred powder and I would like to keep using it if possible, if not I will work a load up for the tite group. 

20230202_190954.jpg

20230202_191013.jpg

Howdy Jay.  Clay-Dot is supposed to be pretty much interchangeable with Clays.  You might consider buying some of that and then selling your Titegroup if you don't get any trade offers.  Natchez has it right now (though only 1 lb cans).

Hi Jay, I have a bottle of this.  Bought it last year and never opened it. I’ll sell / trade if you want. Trail boss if you have it or BP works for me.  

image.thumb.jpeg.5761969a6fee36d9ae5a43b30c8f11cb.jpeg

l

8 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

You might want to try that Titegroup.  I like it better than Clays for pistol cartridges.  Burns cleaner at low pressures.  I use it for all my pistol caliber reloading.

I'll keep it in mind, thanks for the advice.

6 minutes ago, Big-un Bruce said:

Hi Jay, I have a bottle of this.  Bought it last year and never opened it. I’ll sell / trade if you want. Trail boss if you have it or BP works for me.  

image.thumb.jpeg.5761969a6fee36d9ae5a43b30c8f11cb.jpeg

l

I'll talk with you at one of the local matches big un' appreciate it!

Jay , dont be afraid of the tightgroup. For my smokeless loads its been my go to. Its not temp sensitive nor position sensitive ( important at Middletown range)  i would be glad to give you some rounds loaded with it to try.

2 minutes ago, mean gun mark said:

Jay , dont be afraid of the tightgroup. For my smokeless loads its been my go to. Its not temp sensitive nor position sensitive ( important at Middletown range)  i would be glad to give you some rounds loaded with it to try.

I would appreciate that mean gun, looking forward to seeing you and honey bunny this year.

19 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

You might want to try that Titegroup.  I like it better than Clays for pistol cartridges.  Burns cleaner at low pressures.  I use it for all my pistol caliber reloading.

And, you'll use slightly less TG than Clays for the same ballistics. I've been using TG since Clays went dry in about 2012 for pistol & rifle. 2.7 gr with 125gr bullet is a popular load.

28 minutes ago, Max Payne said:

And, you'll use slightly less TG than Clays for the same ballistics. I've been using TG since Clays went dry in about 2012 for pistol & rifle. 2.7 gr with 125gr bullet is a popular load.

Appreciate the info will give me a place to start if I need to go down that road. 

Titegroup is a great, very versatile powder.  I shoot a lot of clays but that’s because I got it very cheap.  Once I run out I’d have no problem transitioning to titegroup.  I’m not saying you have to do as I do but I think you’ll settle into titegroup just fine should you decide to use it.  Added advantage that the titegroup will last much longer (lower charge weight for similar performance) and with the increased price of reloading components that’s not a small thing. I think my comparable titegroup 38sp load is about half the weight of clays (thus is off the top of my head and is not reloading advice).

I've never used Titegroup in .38's but used it in 44 Spcl and .45 when I started.  It was a little "snappy" as some others have experienced.  Also loosened the screws on my guns more quickly.   No big deal and I wouldn't be averse to using it again.   But I just liked the Clays better when I switched.  Last year my Walmart had one can of Titegroup on the shelf so I bought it "just because."  :)

1 hour ago, Doc Marks said:

Titegroup is a great, very versatile powder.  I shoot a lot of clays but that’s because I got it very cheap.  Once I run out I’d have no problem transitioning to titegroup.  I’m not saying you have to do as I do but I think you’ll settle into titegroup just fine should you decide to use it.  Added advantage that the titegroup will last much longer (lower charge weight for similar performance) and with the increased price of reloading components that’s not a small thing. I think my comparable titegroup 38sp load is about half the weight of clays (thus is off the top of my head and is not reloading advice).

I will definitely switch if forced to by necessity but like most of us I think I'd rather stick with tried and true. Thank you for the reassurance all the same. 

57 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I've never used Titegroup in .38's but used it in 44 Spcl and .45 when I started.  It was a little "snappy" as some others have experienced.  Also loosened the screws on my guns more quickly.   No big deal and I wouldn't be averse to using it again.   But I just liked the Clays better when I switched.  Last year my Walmart had one can of Titegroup on the shelf so I bought it "just because."  :)

Similar enough experience here bought some awhile back just because, but I'm coming to the end of my stock of clays soon enough and needed more. So I bought a decent amount of this stuff hoping to trade in the best case or use in the worst case. 

Archived