SASS Wire Forum

More than maximum load

Bearfoot Tracker

I have only been doing this a few years and have never watched or shot in a side match. I am thinking of entering a side match this year such as the 100 yard lever action rifle with pistol caliber. I have several questions:

In these type of long range side matches, are you allowed to load more than the maximum load listed in the SASS manual?

And, do you still have to use lead projectiles as listed in the SASS manual?

I have a 1860 Spencer Carbine (replica) that I was thinking I might be able to use for that type of side match, but not sure if a 7 round capacity limit would be a problem for that type of match.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

3 minutes ago, Bearfoot Tracker said:

I have only been doing this a few years and have never watched or shot in a side match. I am thinking of entering a side match this year such as the 100 yard lever action rifle with pistol caliber. I have several questions:

In these type of long range side matches, are you allowed to load more than the maximum load listed in the SASS manual?
Pocket pistols, derringers, and long-range rifles are exempt from the power factor and velocity requirements.
SHB p.25

And, do you still have to use lead projectiles as listed in the SASS manual?

- Regardless of category or caliber, bullets used in long range and precision rifle matches must be made of pure lead or lead alloy having a plain base, gas checked, or paper patched configuration.
SHB p.30

I have a 1860 Spencer Carbine (replica) that I was thinking I might be able to use for that type of side match, but not sure if a 7 round capacity limit would be a problem for that type of match.

REF: SHB pp.29-30

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Each match will have its own course of fire and distances for long range side matches.  That will include the number of rounds to be fired, and in 20 years I have never seen more that the alloted amount allowed to be loaded in the rifle.  Your 7 round capacity of the Spencer will be a disadvange in any type of match you shoot be it a main match or a side match.  It is good for lots of STYLE points and fun!

If I'm correct , and your "maximum" refers to the 1,000 fps for pistol & 1,400 fps for the rifle, then there's nothing that forbids exceeding those limits specifically in the SHB.  However, as a caution, it might very well prove to be unsafe depending on the target distance at a particular match.  For instance, targets in Pistol Long range might be inside of 50 yards... and projectiles exceeding the SASS maximum will likely cause damage to targets.  And may pose a rebound danger, the same could apply to gas checks on said projectiles.  In the case of "rifle" ammunition, the same concerns are not as likely.  Way back when I was a MD, I wrote my rules included the statement that pistol and pistol caliber rifle long range ammo much conform to SASS legal ammo.  Plus, as a practical matter, the hottest ammo is seldom the most accurate.  My personal Long Range Rifle ammo for both my leverguns and single shot for either powder type (smokeless & BP) are far in excess of the SASS maximum for main match rifle ammo at 1400 fps.

11 hours ago, Griff said:

My personal Long Range Rifle ammo for both my leverguns and single shot for either powder type (smokeless & BP) are far in excess of the SASS maximum for main match rifle ammo at 1400 fps.

Not sure I'm reading this as you intended...  Are you saying the velocity of your long range rifle ammo is far higher than SASS maximum?

It appeared in your previous post that you generally recommend something lower than SASS max.

It's entirely possible I just misunderstood....

3 hours ago, Jackalope said:

Not sure I'm reading this as you intended...  Are you saying the velocity of your long range rifle ammo is far higher than SASS maximum?

It appeared in your previous post that you generally recommend something lower than SASS max.

It's entirely possible I just misunderstood....

Yes, the difference being. I was writing about rifles chambered in "pistol" cartridges vs "rifle" cartridges.  There being no "maximum" regarding rifle cartridges used in long range matches.  

15 minutes ago, Cholla said:

What about the use of gas checks?

Gas checks are legal for long range competitions

16 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

- Regardless of category or caliber, bullets used in long range and precision rifle matches must be made of pure lead or lead alloy having a plain base, gas checked, or paper patched configuration.
SHB p.30

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Yes, the difference being. I was writing about rifles chambered in "pistol" cartridges vs "rifle" cartridges.  There being no "maximum" regarding rifle cartridges used in long range matches.  

OK, I get it now!

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for their input. I would just like to participate in a side match at either the State or Regional match, and thought the 100 yard Lever Rifle with Pistol Caliber would be an easy enough one start with being able to load ammo for and participate in with the guns that I have.

What kind of guns would you see in a Pistol Caliber Carbine mini-match?

30 minutes ago, Bearfoot Tracker said:

What kind of guns would you see in a Pistol Caliber Carbine mini-match?

Generally, any main match rifle is used (split between BP & smokeless)

REF: SHB p.39

You mentioned using a Spencer carbine (replica). Apart from the magazine capacity being a factor, in what caliber is it chambered? If it is a .56-50, I would recommend not exceeding 1050 ft/sec, depending on the bullet weight. If it is chambered for .44-40, with a 200-215 gr. bullet, then you should be able to load smokeless to the SASS rifle max of 1400 ft/sec. I would still watch my pressures.

I’ve shot my main match 73 in 38sp with exact same ammo as I use in main match. We were shooting 75, 100, 125. I put my buckhorn slider to max. Elevation.  Did 6 o’clock hold at 75, center at 100, 12 o’clock at 125. Worked well. 

Archived