SASS Wire Forum

Need input on leather maker

Jesse Evans

I bought one 3 years ago while I was waiting on one to be built. It was a decent rig for what I paid for it.  But not the quality you need for SASS in my opinion.

Persimon Dan. Murphy Leather.  Top hand and top quality leather products!!

Michigan Rattler. Same as above and he plays a mean guitar!!

if you are in the upper midwest i can give you a good source but i cant tell from your profile page , there are leather folks all over the country , im certain you can find one near you that will do a great job for you , mine is small and probanbly not interested in a country wide clientele , 

Reddog Leather (Paul Combest in Kentucky) is on that list; the link is to his Facebook Page.  He also has an eBay store,  it no website.

He has made three rigs for me.  Quality, good value, better turnaround time than most.

His online photos are only a sample.  Some of his leather is for other uses but he makes SASS-appropriate holsters as well. Contact him and tell him what you want.  He will make it.

5 hours ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

JM leather is also a great holster and belt maker, great work and really fair prices.

+1, Ellie's is a JM and is of fine quality.

• 3 weeks later...

IMHO...The Finest Performance Rigs for CAS or WB are made by Mernickle,  ordered their New "Double Deuce" rig in Gunfighter brown for my 7" Schofields  with a matching pair of holsters for my 4-1/2" Colts and of course a matching shotgun belt...The "Clint" style white stitching sets the rig off...SWEET! Can't wait till they arrive!!!

4 hours ago, Marlin Schofield said:

Marlin, all I get from downloading that is an unformatted web page from Mernickles website, with no pictures.

8 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Marlin, all I get from downloading that is an unformatted web page from Mernickles website, with no pictures.

When I got there, there was a small search window. Type in Deuce. I searched the site and couldn't find it under cowboy or western. The search worked.

I use Mernickle now. Excellent rigs, both cowboy and Wild Bunch.

I've used Black Hill Leather, also very good. My 2 rigs from BHL got me started in CAS and were used for 8+ years... good stuff.  I have one holster for a Schofield from the the previously mentioned RedDog Leather... outstanding product!

Happy shopping.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the bad link/pic, On their website click on Cowboy Action and then click on Gunfighter Series then click on "Double Deuce". Great video of Deuce drawing his 7-1/2" Colts "smooth is fast" with the right rig for long & short barrels! I shot a monthly the day after I got them with zero practice and it was like I'd used them for years. I spaced them 8" apart the width of my two fists to keep it legal and it placed the holsters right where they need to be! The only problem was I only ordered one belt for two sets of holsters as I was going to switch the Schofields for the Colts as needed, but unlike my Black Hills S&W 125 year anniversary rig where the holsters slide off these are attached tightly with (3) screw and T fittings like a IDPA combat rig which is awesome because the holsters maintain their position and angle on the belt , but I wouldn't want to be taking them off/on constantly as my mood to shoot the "Holy Black" in my "Evil Roy's" or the "Heathen Smokeless" in the S&W's  changes with the wind. So I'll just order another belt and a "Double Deuce" rig for my 1858's and retire my old Black Hills rigs. Also they line the inside of the belt with suede so once the belt is buckled it never moves.  My 5" Nickel Schofields fit the holsters perfectly too, so that saved $$$ not having to order them a pair.

Check out the pic's

IMG_4726.JPG

IMG_4727.JPG

IMG_4728.JPG

IMG_4725.JPG

IMG_4732.JPG

IMG_4729.JPG

IMG_4730.JPG

IMG_4731.JPG

IMG_4734.JPG

As a new shooter I did a lot of research.

Landed on Mernickle, JedITV on youtube has a good review of there starter and high performance rigs.

Mine should be here in a week or so.

Great people to deal with from my limited experience. 

Archived