SASS Wire Forum

Polishing Boots?

Matthew Duncan

After 20 plus years of use and 2 sole replacements it may be time to give the old boots a little care.  Cowpokes have any good ideas on how to polish them up a bit?  Or should I just give them a good coat of Neatsfoot oil?

image.thumb.jpeg.a4d50afb566672f0a59977fcd063ed11.jpeg

Just some old fashioned boot wax and a lot of elbow grease.

I'm of no help.  But I'm bored, so:  I haven't polished a pair of boots or shoes since I retired from the Military.  However, RedWing use to market a really good "oil" for waterproofing and revitalizing boots.  Don't know if they still do.

I just realized I retired from Active Duty 29 years ago.  Gad Zooks but I feel old all of a sudden.

I use Huberd’s Shoe Grease to treat footwear. Kiwi shoe polish if I wear them to church. These HH square toes have almost a decade of daily wear in NM and still take a shine.

3BFFA38D-5482-483A-9A85-046AFAA4215B.jpeg

60268ED8-8B9E-495C-860D-DA58D98DC060.jpeg

Polish my boots often.  Mostly for moisture protection.   Hardest part has be finding the wax.   All te stores up here have empty shelves where the polish belongs.  Luckily When I took a pair in for new heels the shoemaker had some.     GW

I use Skidmores cream to rejuvenate the leather, then Kiwi polish.  The boot on the right has been treated, but not yet polished.  Skidmores is also good for any leather that is drying out.

Skidmore Boots.jpg

8 minutes ago, Cibola Al said:

I use Huberd’s Shoe Grease to treat footwear. Kiwi shoe polish if I wear them to church. These HH square toes have almost a decade of daily wear in NM and still take a shine.

3BFFA38D-5482-483A-9A85-046AFAA4215B.jpeg

60268ED8-8B9E-495C-860D-DA58D98DC060.jpeg

Hey!  You may have these other noobs fooled, BUT those ain't same pair of boots!

MD, before you wax  or oil those boots, clean the dirt out of 'em!  (saddle soap).

Hey Pard

I only use Lexol cleaner and conditioner on all my leather goods. It was recommended to me by a Ol'Gent that took care of all the saddles and tack at President Reagan's ranch. I've used it for years and will use nothing else. It won't make your boots shiny thought. You'll have to use shoe polish for that.

Good luck

th.jpeg-4.jpg

A man from this company https://www.urad.com/ was at the Great American Outdoor Show last year.  I think he polished the boots of just about every cowboy and cowgirl, including Ruby, that worked in the SASS booth.  We purchased some because we liked it so much.  I hope he's there again so he gives me another good shine.  We got the URAD and the Grasso.  The Grasso helps to waterproof the leather.

Clean with saddle soat per instructions, let dry completely, followed bu a couple of coats of wax.

In between these cleanings you can do a quick touchup with a good leather creme.

I ain’t interested in no shine.  Preserve the leather and put some of the brown back is what I’m wondering about.

i think maintaining your footwear is the right thing to do in general , however , my SASS boots have never been polished , only wiped down and dirt removed with brush in inclement weather , its not that i abuse these - im a fair weather shooter , but my clothing trend is to basic drover/drifter type , i dont want my boots to look "that day store bought" ....i want them looking worn and they do , 

Try buffing the scuffs lightly with fine steel wool. Clean around the stitching with a tooth brush. Buff with a brush. Dye the scuffs. Use heel black on the heel and edge of sole. Shoe polish and buff with a rag. Wear them and do not drag toes. Treat leather with non oil later. Baseball glove conditioner won't rot threads.

Archived