SASS Wire Forum

Drop 2 87 mod. How? A DIY possible?

Reverend P. Babcock Chase

Howdy All,

Rather than hijack the other 87 topic, I thought I'd open this one. I have questions (usually I have answers). First, contact info for Lassiter and how long is the wait? How is the 87 action modified for a drop 2 (I understand that it is not reversible)? Has anyone done it themselves and how? 

I know that that's a lot of questions, but any info would be appreciated.

Rev. Chase

If you know how to disassemble a '87 , you can compare these pics of a right side carrier from a '87 Coyote Cap Special edition with the two drop system to an original right side carrier. 

I replaced the reshaped right side carrier with an original carrier. There is more work necessary for the two drop method, but the carrier is a big part of it.

IMG_2671.jpeg

IMG_2672.jpeg

IMG_2663.jpeg

Sent you a  PM with contact info for  Lassiter.

F.S.

Neither my original Winchester, nor my Chiappa have he drop two.  But I have found that if you push down the lifter, you can then drop two round into the action, and that will work.  

It's probably not as  efficient as a true drop two modification, but it can be done.  And you can still stoke the magazine.  :)

There is a little more to it than modifying the carrier. On many guns the extractors need some work and the bolt face needs slight modification to provide the necessary clearance for shells with folded crimps. Otherwise you pretty much have to shoot roll crimped or brass shells for reliable ejection.  

Lassiter's work is not that expensive and worth every penny.

@Slater's In House Guns is a great cowboy. He shoots an 87 as well. @Fireball #7709 Life is another cowboy who, in addition to Slater and Lassiter might be able to give you some DIY direction that the others might not be willing to share as it’s their business. 

I’ll vouch for all three! :wub:

Hugs!

Scarlett

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

There is a little more to it than modifying the carrier. On many guns the extractors need some work and the bolt face needs slight modification to provide the necessary clearance for shells with folded crimps. Otherwise you pretty much have to shoot roll crimped or brass shells for reliable ejection.  

Lassiter's work is not that expensive and worth every penny.

How in the world do you KNOW SO MUCH about SO MANY THINGS? You are amazing! I am a smarter person after I get to posse with you and reading your posts! :)

Hope to see you at some of my travels!!

Hugs!!

Scarlett

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

How in the world do you KNOW SO MUCH about SO MANY THINGS? You are amazing! I am a smarter person after I get to posse with you and reading your posts! :)

Hugs!!

Scarlett

I like to read, and I want to know how things work. 150 years ago my profession might have been Horologists, Gunsmith or Blacksmith.

Back when Coyote Cap was with us and his website was still active, he had several good articles on his development of the 87 clones. He didn't give away all his secrets but he did post some good info on how to tune both clones as well as originals for better operation.  

Would like to see you join for Smokin' Guns at Rabbit Ridge It is the weekend before Wartrace. Looking forward to seeing the both of you in Tennessee.

No mention by the OP what 87 he's starting with.  I don't recommend Chiappa's, they're built on the 10 gauge frame and are very bulky and heavy compared to an IAC or original.  IAC's are the best bet for a gun that will should need minimal to no repairs, originals will need the chambers lengthened and have a host of other relatively common, but fixable, things that might be wrong.  I'll mention the PW87 long enough to say, don't bother, they were the IAC rejects that someone decided to "repair" and sell, they reflect the less than $300 price tag for which they sold at the time.  The Mod's.  The Drop 2 was engineered by myself and Texas John Critter back in the 90's.  It requires specific ammunition no longer commonly available and such, no one is doing it.  Coyote Cap pioneered the Load 2 about the same time and Lassiters version (2 Shot maybe? The names only matter when talking about this stuff) I'm unsure of when it came about, but I believe he was messing with them around the same time, possibly a little later.  I mention all this, because it matters.  They all achieve a similar result, but in vastly different ways.  The vast majority of IAC's with the what folks refer to as "coyote caps", are basically a little touchy for consistent, hard work, it WILL allow you to also load and use the mag tube, the same as the Drop 2 did.  The "CAP special's"(carrier pictured above) had a different system and did not allow the use of the mag tube(or at least all I've handled wouldn't).  Not a big deal for how we use them, but details matter.  Lassiters version uses a different system, that also doesn't allow use of the mag tube, but is a much more consistent mod(of those still available) for the way we use the guns.  For what he charges, I don't see it making sense to try it yourself and possibly muck up parts that are unavailable easily.  There's welding and milling involved, on more than the carrier, he does work to the bolt and the chamber mouth that I know of.  The IAC's can need other little things to run right and he may do some or all of those things as well.  I suggest you talk to him.  As I am no expert on his mod, still running my original version, I don't feel qualified to try to explain all he does.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Would like to see you join for Smokin' Guns at Rabbit Ridge It is the weekend before Wartrace. Looking forward to seeing the both of you in Tennessee.

Would love to be there but we are doing three in a row - TN, IN, ND/SD then home. Can’t make 4 in a row work and stay happily married! :D

Hugs!

Scarlett

3 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Hugs!!

Scarlett

He's really a robot :lol:

There's the right way and then how I did one. I purchased an IAC that someone had glued leather stops on the bottom of the carrier to stop the shells from dropping all the way down. Works but it's not legal. I pulled the leather off and welded a piece of steel in place. Shaped it and blued it. I've shown it to multiple people and they can't tell what's been done. Probably not legal but I only use it for practice now and have a chiappa from a professional that I use for competition when I want to run an 87.

Howdy All,

I want to thank all those who weighed in on this topic. I'm disappointed that no one told me an easy DIY mod, but I guess that's because there isn't one. As I finish up my short, roll crimp experiment I'll have to decide if I need professional help. We'll see. 

Rev. Chase

29 minutes ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

I'll have to decide if I need professional help. We'll see. 

Rev. Chase

Now if this was @Alpo making that statement...

Deakon very happy with my lassiter worked chinchester.  Being to cheap to pay postage, gave it to him at winter range had it delivered the next winter range so don't know how long it really took and am sure mine was on back burner as I told him to bring it back.  He slicked my Baikal gave it to him at WR one day got a gun in the mail and a note to send him a check.  Sadly forgot when the gun got here but think it was do to WR being cancelled.

Archived