SASS Wire Forum

A Serious Piece of Music

Most of us are too busy enjoying the actions of Tuco, Angel Eyes, and Blondie to really listen to the serious piece of music that Ennio Morricone wrote for Sergio Leone's classic film.  Listen, watch & enjoy now the Danish National Symphony Orchestra performing this theme.

8 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Most of us are too busy enjoying the actions of Tuco, Angel Eyes, and Blondie to really listen to the serious piece of music that Ennio Morricone wrote for Sergio Leone's classic film.  Listen, watch & enjoy now to the Danish National Symphony Orchestra performing this theme.

Awesome!! Ennio Morricone was a musical genius!

Did you know he was a trumpet player? That’s a great rendition by the Danish Orchestra!

Every time I watch that - and I've seen it dozens of times - I have this little fantasy of that brunette girl in the maroon dress doing speed dating.

"What do I do for a living? I'm a member of the Danish National Symphony Orchestra. What instrument do I play? I go wah wah. Sometimes I whistle."

It never gets old seeing it and listening to it. It's amazing the amount of work that goes into a theme such as this and the talent needed to make a soundtrack song for a movie that is largely underappreciated.

It's amazing how much the music can make or break a movie.  One class I had the instructor played the same scene with several different scores.   Same scene could be tense, dramatic, comic, or romantic depending on the music.

Even just changing the key might be enough.

15 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

It's amazing how much the music can make or break a movie.  One class I had the instructor played the same scene with several different scores.   Same scene could be tense, dramatic, comic, or romantic depending on the music.

Even just changing the key might be enough.

Look what changing the key can do to something like the Imperial March. 

Human voices without words, people whistling, wooden blocks, and chimes, oboes, all manner of stringed instruments, wood winds, percussion, brass, harmonicas, and everything musical but a canary......and it is most famous as the theme for a spaghetti western.

Life is sometimes startlingly wonderful in strange ways.

On 2/3/2023 at 1:46 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

On 2/3/2023 at 1:46 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

Now all I see is a bunch of storm troopers skipping and prancing....

LL

Everything PinkFloyd did was great!
My collection includes it all!
Speaking of Pink Floyd.............................

Ennio Morricone has a lot more in his musical library that the Good The Bad and the Ugly. He was a modern day musical genius, very talented man!

43 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Everything PinkFloyd did was great!
My collection includes it all!
Speaking of Pink Floyd.............................

Thank you for that. One of my favorite songs...

A goodly number of finest composers of the later half of the 18th century and all of the 19th century worked in Opera and Symphonic music.  I wondered where these quality composers all went in the 20th century, because the vast majority of that kind of music produced in the 20th century was not on the same level in my opinion.  I now think those quality composers were writing Movie sound tracks and American Musical theater in the 20th century.  That Morricone selection PD posted is over 50 years old, and is now recognized as a truely fine Symphonic work in its own right.  I hope we will see more re-evaulation of such music and hear more in the classical music halls.

I recently picked up a number of CDs from the Vienna Phil and the Berlin Phil, where they recently invited John Williams to ascend their podium and conduct pieces from his movie scores.  It really felt like they were thrilled and honored to have him there, like Brahms or Richard Strauss, to conduct his own music.

Archived