SASS Wire Forum

How many use a 1887 shotgun in competition?

Buckshot Bear

As rthe 97' is 'forbaden' by the Oz authirities I use a drop 2 mod IAC in our matches similar to Wild Bunch [ variety of names such as Mexican Standoff, Reseveldt etc..I can still stoke it up, gun works fine , operator not so much !! I still can't figure the best hand for loading left or right, the right seems better but the left feels more natural [ I'm a RH shooter ]

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Screenshot_20180330-211637.thumb.png.3b89b2fe6fb5dfd985ef56e4391a287b.png

The '87 does have a learning curve but when you "get it" running one smoothly is a great feeling.

That said,  it's my experience that the '87 can also be your biggest trainwreck. But at least you crash in style! ;)

2 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

The '87 does have a learning curve but when you "get it" running one smoothly is a great feeling.

That said,  it's my experience that the '87 can also be your biggest trainwreck. But at least you crash in style! ;)

No guts, no glory :) 

Quite honestly I had an original that I had long-throated, and IIRC a NORINCO with a Coyote Caps drop-two mod.  IMHO, I had better luck with a SxS double.  The late Cathouse Bill Blattler and I ran a number of tests shooting six rounds, loading the 87 under the clock and cutting loose, while the other shooter shot the double, starting with the double empty, loading two at a time.  Then we switched off guns. Bill usually beat me with either gun, but the times were so close. Since SASS would not go for that with the 87, I went back to the double.  Haven't done much shooting in the past three years due to the pandemic, waiting to get a permanent bridge installed in my upper right jaw, and now the cold weather, but I will stick with the double. 

On 2/6/2023 at 1:48 AM, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

As rthe 97' is 'forbaden' by the Oz authirities I use a drop 2 mod IAC in our matches similar to Wild Bunch [ variety of names such as Mexican Standoff, Reseveldt etc..I can still stoke it up, gun works fine , operator not so much !! I still can't figure the best hand for loading left or right, the right seems better but the left feels more natural [ I'm a RH shooter ]

I am also right handed and load with my right hand. I tilt my 87 down which is easier to hold with my left hand and with the drop two conversion the shells drop right in. I switched to a bandolier and it works better than a waist belt. Just what works for me. DC

2 hours ago, Diamond Curly SASS#57086 said:

I am also right handed and load with my right hand. I tilt my 87 down which is easier to hold with my left hand and with the drop two conversion the shells drop right in. I switched to a bandolier and it works better than a waist belt. Just what works for me. DC

No wonder I finished 16th in a class of 15 !!  I too use a Bandoleer all the time for loading my SXS...I've been mucking around with a waist belt for the '87 & all I really needed to do was swap the Bandoleer to my left shoulder so I could load with the right hand. Thank you Diamond Curly for helpin' the Injun dumb a***...I just gave it a go, yep that's the best method  I've tried.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

19 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

No wonder I finished 16th in a class of 15 !!  I too use a Bandoleer all the time for loading my SXS...I've been mucking around with a waist belt for the '87 & all I really needed to do was swap the Bandoleer to my left shoulder so I could load with the right hand. Thank you Diamond Curly for helpin' the Injun dumb a***...I just gave it a go, yep that's the best method  I've tried.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Happy to hear it worked out for you. I am third generation Mohawk and we have to support each other. DC

On 2/2/2023 at 1:12 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

LOL MC :) 

I got one Bear, I use only for Wild Bunch here though as it doesn't have the drop 2 conversion.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Uncle Frankie said:

Hi friend. You happen to have the contact information for Lassiter?  Thanks!

TOM'S SINGLE ACTION SHOP

675 Crawford Road
New Lebanon, OH 45345

Phone:  (937) 687-1039

I’ve got 2, an IAC with the Lassiter drop 2 and an original 1901 in 10ga.  The Winchester was made in 1906, Lassiter also did his magic on it with a drop 2, shortened the barrel and put on a new front bead.  I love’ ‘em both and with enough practice just watch the @Fireball #7709 Life video you can be just as fast as anyone else, or like me slow with a big smile. 

I thought there was only one - Lassiter! Sue Render used to run one pretty well, but she's switched to a Fast Eddie SKB.

On 2/3/2023 at 2:47 PM, Copper Sean O Driscoll said:

I own one but it is not SASS legal.  Mine is a register legal SBS with a 10.25 inch barrel.  Id love to use it though. 

4EFC948F-6752-4CA1-B8F6-7367BD732C3C.jpeg

CDE04FC1-F5B6-43E3-ADCA-DFD73DC15BFB.jpeg

Have you ever asked if you can at a local shoot?  Some clubs might let you at monthlies.

This one isn't SASS Legal for some unknown reason...
795378118_ShotgunMaresLeg.thumb.JPG.26951bfa1df49665d14ec5d9a602d195.JPG

...but some clubs have let me use it.

I am seriously considering getting a regular stock for it, that way I'll have a "two in one."

Did any manufacturer make a "Mare's Leg" between 1860 and 1899?

An 1887 doesn't appear in Peckinpah's movie, "The Wild Bunch", which might be the entire reasoning why it's not allowed in WBAS. Lever action rifles other than the '92 are allowed though, so who knows.

Several times over the years I have seen what looks to be excellent condition original Winchester '87s adorning the walls of business establishments as decorations. I believe all I have seen are 10 gauges. Every time I try to wheel and deal I get told no, sadly...;)

My Coyote Cap '87 has been an excellent shotgun but I'm saving my pesos for a Chiappa '87 as I think that gun is the cat's meow for '87s... even for people who don't like cats. :D

Archived