SASS Wire Forum

Delete

dahoney

HARRINGTON AND 

What’s TE and MW?

Unknown 

This was a CMP Rifle from about 20 some years ago.  I inherited the rifle and have shot it in 10-12 competitions.  Seems accurate and reliable.  I’m a member at Pima Pistol Club in Oracle Arizona could they answer your question?   Don’t know where you’re at but you’re welcome to visit and shoot the rifle. 

A48139F5-49FC-46A2-935A-E177B66CE4D3.jpeg

78576361-013C-49B8-87F5-E79500C94BB0.jpeg

Based on pictures of stock, doesn't appear to have original stock.  Need to see left side of buttstock just below rear of receiver to see if it has H&R cartouche.  All H&R M1 Garand's had a different stock cartouche at that time than Springfield's or International Harvester's.  Makes a difference in value.  Also, does it have original H&R barrel.

5 minutes ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

Based on pictures of stock, doesn't appear to have original stock.  Need to see left side of buttstock just below rear of receiver to see if it has H&R cartouche.  All H&R M1 Garand's had a different stock cartouche at that time than Springfield's or International Harvester's.  Makes a difference in value.  Also, does it have original H&R barrel.

he has clear photos of both sides that you can blow up. 

I have no reason to believe this is not the original stock.  I was in the USAR in the 60’s and we had M1 Garands. This looks legit to me but I’m no authority.

8164D4DD-004D-4172-A513-2E73B3359182.jpeg

7437A600-B9FF-4D83-83DA-F8443C38A73C.jpeg

Nice looking rifle.  The stock is darker than some I've seen, possibly touched up.  These stocks were dipped back in the day.  The accessories are getting hard to find and these look like a nice set. To the OP, it would be to your advantage to post a photo of the markings on the cartridge belt and the bayonet unsheathed with a close up of the stampings.  A very attractive offering!

Any buyers are welcome to contact me.  I would be thrilled to bring the rifle to a local expert for evaluation. We had Garands in the USAR and I believe the rifle to be in excellent condition, but again I’m no M1 Garand expert.

Thanks for your interest.

The cartouche on this stock is from a WW11 Springfield M1 Garand.  ALL post WW11 Garand's had what is called a DOD stamp.  There was two sizes.  A 1/2" for Springfield's and International Harvester's and a 3/8" for H&R rifles.  How do I know?  I have owned one of every standard Mi Garand ever made.   Pre-WW11 manufacture, WW11 manufacture, Korea manufacture, and post Korea manufacture.  And I have in my safe U.S. military stock cartouche stamps.  Not trying to start a fight, but, I do know Garand's.  Pull back the op-rod all the way, and MFG and date of MFG of barrel is stamped on right side of barrel.

I have bought and sold many U.S military hand guns, rifles, and shotguns over the last 40 years.  Originality and any provenance can make a HUGE difference in value.  Back in late 90's had an ugly 1873 Springfield saddle ring carbine 45-70, that by itself, was about a  $400 rifle.  BUT, it had a letter, from I believe it was the Custer Battlefield Historical Society, that this rifle was at the Little Big Horn.  Sold if for $12,000.  

Probably worth a lot more today.  Love watching Barrett/Jackson auctions and crying about vehicles I sold or didn't buy and save.

What a fine battle rifle, tough as a tank and accurate as a laser, may not be all correct but what a deal on a rifle of this kind. good luck on the sale.

On 2/1/2023 at 3:55 PM, dahoney said:

What’s TE and MW?

Throat erriosion number and Muzzle wear number.

Both help determine how much life is left in that barrel. Kinda like what you did with the bullet in barrel picture only with actual gages.

On 2/1/2023 at 4:43 PM, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

I have bought and sold many U.S military hand guns, rifles, and shotguns over the last 40 years.  Originality and any provenance can make a HUGE difference in value.  Back in late 90's had an ugly 1873 Springfield saddle ring carbine 45-70, that by itself, was about a  $400 rifle.  BUT, it had a letter, from I believe it was the Custer Battlefield Historical Society, that this rifle was at the Little Big Horn.  Sold if for $12,000.  

Probably worth a lot more today.  Love watching Barrett/Jackson auctions and crying about vehicles I sold or didn't buy and save.

That 1873 couldn't fire 45-70 to short of an action & has weak toggle link action.  The first lever action Winchester rifle that was chambered in the 45-70 was the John Moses Browning design model 1886.  The large cartridge Winchester toggle link rifle, model 1876, couldn't handle the pressure of the 45-70.

I believe the hang tag that comes with CMP Garands has the TE & MW on it.  I got a Field Grade Garand in 2020 from the CMP.  It has a new stock & only a little finish wear on the muzzle end of the barrel .  Wear is probably from stacking.

35 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

That 1873 couldn't fire 45-70 to short of an action & has weak toggle link action.  The first lever action Winchester rifle that was chambered in the 45-70 was the John Moses Browning design model 1886.  The large cartridge Winchester toggle link rifle, model 1876, couldn't handle the pressure of the 45-70.

pretty sure he wasn’t talking about a lever action.  He said a Springfield carbine.   Which is a trap door rifle and was in 45/70

Yes, was talking about a 1873 Springfield Trap Door saddle ring carbine.  That the rifle was at the Little Big Horn massacre should have given you a hint it wasn't a Winchester 1886.  Also, there are now pictures on this post of the right side of the barrel with the manufacture's name and month and year the barrel was made.  LMR was the three letters used by International Harvester to identify barrels made by them.   

• dahoney changed the title to Delete

Archived