SASS Wire Forum

Savage 1911

Lawdog Dago Dom

13 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Oboyohboyohboyohboyohboy!

Yet another 1911 knockoff.  :o

Could be worse.

Could be yet another striker-fired piece of Fantastic Plastic with the aesthetics of a dried dog turd.

It’s pretty funny. Gun writers are saying “Savage reintroduces the 1911 after 111 years!”

Savage never made a 1911. They made the 1907, which is nothing like a 1911, from what I can see. They made a .45 ACP version of the 1907 to compete with Colt and their 1911 for the Army trials where the Colt’s 1911 won and the rest is history. 

I wonder where they’re made. At $1400-$1600 each that would be good info to know. 

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It’s pretty funny. Gun writers are saying “Savage reintroduces the 1911 after 111 years!”

Savage never made a 1911. They made the 1907, which is nothing like a 1911, from what I can see. They made a .45 ACP version of the 1907 to compete with Colt and their 1911 for the Army trials where the Colt’s 1911 won and the rest is history. 

I wonder where they’re made. At $1400-$1600 each that would be good info to know. 

Bigger question how long will the be made in MA ?

image.thumb.jpeg.a51a3756b2f8f8d6ccd11d9ea8694999.jpeg

24 minutes ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Bigger question how long will the be made in MA ?

That shows their headquarters, not necessarily where the guns are made. I recently bought a Savage 301. Much to my surprise it’s made in China. 

Example: Glock’s US headquarters is in Georgia, made in Austria. 
CA01B340-2655-4938-B979-C5B6B0332234.thumb.jpeg.53d00a590138451cef230ef38d007ff4.jpeg

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That shows their headquarters, not necessarily where the guns are made. I recently bought a Savage 301. Much to my surprise it’s made in China. 

Example: Glock’s US headquarters is in Georgia, made in Austria. 
CA01B340-2655-4938-B979-C5B6B0332234.thumb.jpeg.53d00a590138451cef230ef38d007ff4.jpeg

I was going off the  GA write up saying they were ?? Of course I trust no one :)

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Could be worse.

Could be net another striker-fired piece of Fantastic Plastic with the aesthetics of a dried dog turd.

I can't imagine to what you are alluding.  I'll have to see if I can find an example.

Oh, look: there's one now.  All it needs to look a squirt gun is a blue plastic plug in the back.

That is the second Guns America write-up on that gun.

The first one they said how Savage reintroduced the government model.

And I looked at that picture, with the skeletonized hammer, the slanted cocking grooves in the back of the slide, the wide spacing of the cocking grooves, the cocking grooves at the muzzle end of the slide, the ambidextrous thumb safety, the beavertail grip safety. And I thought to myself - self, that ain't no government model.

Then we have the whole "Savage reintroduces something they never made before" thing.

8 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I can't imagine to what you are alluding.  I'll have to see if I can find an example.

Oh, look: there's one now.  All it needs to look a squirt gun is a blue plastic plug in the back.

Hmmm…well lookie here. It’s got a blue plug in the rear too. 

image.jpeg.0fe79837acf9b83b426c452e92dca701.jpeg

9 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

money making opportunity!!! The back of most striker gun slides has a small black insert to keep the firing pin in. If some one would make one with the "water filler cap" I'd buy it in a hart beat!

Savage could not have made a striker fired pistol in 1911. Everyone knows that Herr Glock invented striker fired pistols.

They require a trigger to have a dingus in the front of it. There is no dingus showing in those pictures, therefore they cannot be striker fired. 276941622_Gorilla2.jpg.2b0ede8ef662620e049aea2123a54e2a.jpg

What they need to make this thing a success is to emplazon it with a politically incorrect (Grump! :angry:) but OH so cool early Savage logo!!  :)

image.png.3c824cb40087362b68a02f216474b862.png

image.jpeg.45a3969102165d8cb3f485d4380dc54f.jpeg

image.png

I have a vision. Him lying in the street. Dead. With a note pin to his shirt saying, IT'S PERFECTLY LEGAL. I HAVE A LICENSE.

And next to the note is a photocopy of this

s-l300.jpg

20 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I have a vision. Him lying in the street. Dead. With a note pin to his shirt saying, IT'S PERFECTLY LEGAL. I HAVE A LICENSE.

And next to the note is a photocopy of this

s-l300.jpg

I am curious, what is the proper implement for pinning those on? An ice pick? A 16 penny nail or larger? Ooh, I know…Chinese packing tape! And lots of it so no one can ever get that crap off!

I handled these at SHOT Show, and had a chance to talk to the staff.  This is a very good looking pistol, well made and fitted, with quality parts.  I did NOT shoot it, however.

I'd give it a try.

Cheers,

FJT

When I started shooting USPSA and IDPA seriously, I became a 1911 snob.  I currently own two.  One was completely custom made on a Caspian frame and slide, and the other is a completely customized Springfield.  The only Springfield parts are the frame and slide, and only the frame is factory original (I actually shot this gun so much it wore out and I had to do a complete rebuild).  I have about $4000 into the Caspian, and probably $2500 into the Springfield.

Quite frankly, off-the-shelf 1911s don't do it for me at all.  All these manufacturers are offering custom-like options such as wide and ambidextrous safeties, custom metal work, sexy sights, etc.  However, they are all done CHEAPLY.  They look like custom guns, but they are NOT even in the same ballpark.   

Since I'm set on 1911s, I'll leave this one at the store.

i like what ive owned that were savage made - not sure about this but they look nice , i already have owned enough 1911/11A1s over the years to have what i really want , but , these are my favorite pistols so i may check into this further , 

On 2/2/2023 at 8:19 AM, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

When I started shooting USPSA and IDPA seriously, I became a 1911 snob.  I currently own two.  One was completely custom made on a Caspian frame and slide, and the <SNIP>

Since I'm set on 1911s, I'll leave this one at the store.

Funny, I'm pretty much the opposite.

I have found that the Colt made 1911's are fine out of the box, needing at most a tighter bushing and

a minor trigger job.

They function reliably and since I don't use them for competition but for carry that's what I want. 

I've owned and carried every Colt length, and while I love my Gov't 9mm version, I'm also looking at

a LW commander in 9mm.  I might even go back to .45ACP and leave the 9mm for those 500 or 1000 rd

training camps.

My experience watching and shooting (a long time ago) with the USPSA (and IPSC back when), was that like

a Harley Davidson, they ran well until some amateur wrench starts working on them. 

Love the real serious guns that some guys make, but my $900 factory Colt seems to work fine.

YMMV

SC

28 minutes ago, ShadowCatcher said:

My experience watching and shooting (a long time ago) with the USPSA (and IPSC back when), was that like

a Harley Davidson, they ran well until some amateur wrench starts working on them. 

SC

The key word was "amateur."  I use real gunsmiths, not self-proclaimed "gunsmiths."

12 hours ago, watab kid said:

i like what ive owned that were savage made - not sure about this but they look nice , i already have owned enough 1911/11A1s over the years to have what i really want , but , these are my favorite pistols so i may check into this further , 

I just HAVE TO ask: does all of this sissified prettiness make the gun a better shooter in any respect?

7 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I just HAVE TO ask: does all of this sissified prettiness make the gun a better shooter in any respect?

probably not - but i really dont own any that are all that "pretty" , mine are shooters mostly , 

my 1918 colt 1911 shoots quite well as does my 1943 ithica 1911A1 , but mostly i shoot my three kimber 1911s [SS 9mm , compact 45 and full size 45] to preserve the older ones , ive carried my sig 1911 but its SS so its a BBQ gun in my mess , i like the rock island lower i put my kimber conversion on , 

in the past i had a couple remingtons made during WWII as well as a taurus that went thru a fire at a range here and is still runnun fine , i would never call any of those "pretty" per se , the Sig is a decent looking item but its still a basic 1911 , 

Got an email from Rock Island auctions this morning.  They are saying this is an opportunity to own a well documented Savage trials gun for between $6,500 and $9,500.  Most go for far more than that but this one is not in as good of condition as others they have sold.  Something I learned on their website is that 181 of the 280 guns used in the trials were repurchased by Savage, completely refinished and sold to the public.  For some reason this one was repurchased but never refinished.  Thus its less than pristine condition.

230164287_Screenshot2023-02-03at9_05_17PM.thumb.png.a05d8517a7d3f27e4e086b4c42764a6c.png

3 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Got an email from Rock Island auctions this morning.  They are saying this is an opportunity to own a well documented Savage trials gun for between $6,500 and $9,500.  Most go for far more than that but this one is not in as good of condition as others they have sold.  Something I learned on their website is that 181 of the 280 guns used in the trials were repurchased by Savage, completely refinished and sold to the public.  For some reason this one was repurchased but never refinished.  Thus its less than pristine condition.

230164287_Screenshot2023-02-03at9_05_17PM.thumb.png.a05d8517a7d3f27e4e086b4c42764a6c.png

Ian explains it very well in the below video.

On 2/1/2023 at 8:30 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

Savage did make a 45 caliber striker fired Model 1911.

Archived