SASS Wire Forum

Oops...

So Sassparilla Kid tells me that they had an unusual call at the shop today.

Fella who knows the boss called up and asked if they had any floor sweeping compound he could borrow.

"How much ya need?"

"Well... how much ya got?"

"We have a full barrel - how much do ya need?  did you guys have a spill?"

"Uh... yeah... a bit of hydraulic fluid.  Can we borrow the entire barrel?"

'Bout a mile from the Kid's shop.  Now at the shop.  Seems someone forgot to fold the boom when they loaded it ~ hit the overpass at 50+ mph.  Truck and lowboy trailer kept going (although not far).  Excavator made an abrupt stop.

Oops!  :rolleyes:

image.png.c9741af69e2312274f42486823fd33f4.png

image.png.6a1f095051b0fc74c9cf768e4032bdbf.png

I actually saw that type of thing happen once when I was getting on the freeway.  Truck and trailer going opposite direction with a loader on trailer hit overpass, bounce across the median, knock down a light pole.  Stayed in the median.  They had to have the overpass inspected for damage.

Horace

I see the unemployment line in someone’s future.

There is an overpass on I-40 east of Albuquerque near Moriarity that has seen its share of impacts. I lived there for a few months in 1988. There was an excavator boom that hit the bridge and a dump truck bed that hit it. I seem to recall there was one that hit it and the bridge had to be closed for repair after I moved into Albuquerque. My Mom still lived in Tijeras. I recall her telling me about it. 

I saw a dump truck do the same thing when he left the dumper up and drove off. Hit the bridge at about 40mph. Besides the damage to the dump truck, the bridge had extensive damage and was closed for repairs for a while. I'm sure that cost a pretty penny.

At my last job, I had it easy. Part of the time, I worked as the "ground guy" with a 65' bucket truck. We repaired parking lot lighting/signs/etc. One day, at the end of the day of course, the company called and asked us to stop at an new client's multi-story office building and get some measurements for a parking lot light head refit. "Just measure one light" "You'll be in and out in 15 minutes" "No one will even know that you were there" they said...

As my co-worker was up getting the measurements of a light near the side entrance to the 10 story building, a main hydraulic line ruptured and began spraying hydraulic fluid under the truck. I immediately turned off the PTO but that didn't stop it. Lost about 5 - 7 gallons of fluid on a freshly retopped asphalt parking lot. What a mess. We cleaned it up as best as possible but the building manager/property owner rep was not pleased...at all.

Yep, I was Abt a quarter mile back when a guy unloaded a backhoe with a bridge. It looked like a Tonka toy coming off the trailer :D

Talking about spills.

We had dandy at a Community Centre and skating rink complex.

Heating was with #2 Furnace oil after a switch over from Bunker C

The facility manager noticed comparable furnace fuel consumption was greatly increased and reported it for a couple of years, to no avail.

It was found after about 4 years that the underground fuel tanks were leaking and the fuel had contaminated a large area, under nearby homes and businesses.

It was a large, expensive clean up and the fines were significant.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

How fast do you have to be going to slice a bridge in half? If you are an engineer or physicist estimate the forces and expended energy on this one!

http://www.c141heaven.info/dotcom/jokes/truck_bridge.html

That's quite impressive.

Not as impressive but still darkly funny, my wife and I were in a park service campground in the Smokies one summer. 

Across the creek was a family with a monster Airstream trailer. They got all packed up and pulled away…

…but forgot to stow the side awning. The first tree took it clean off the aluminum siding. The look on their faces broke my heart. 

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

How fast do you have to be going to slice a bridge in half? If you are an engineer or physicist estimate the forces and expended energy on this one!

http://www.c141heaven.info/dotcom/jokes/truck_bridge.html

Only a 1/2 a million to repair that? In 11 days?

Wow, that mighty impressive in both damage and repair cost/time if the repairs were permanent. 

Never mind about the 11 days, I guess that was just to get the undamaged bridge open again. I'm taking it (now) to be a divided highway.

11 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

So Sassparilla Kid tells me that they had an unusual call at the shop today.

Fella who knows the boss called up and asked if they had any floor sweeping compound he could borrow.

"How much ya need?"

"Well... how much ya got?"

"We have a full barrel - how much do ya need?  did you guys have a spill?"

"Uh... yeah... a bit of hydraulic fluid.  Can we borrow the entire barrel?"

'Bout a mile from the Kid's shop.  Now at the shop.  Seems someone forgot to fold the boom when they loaded it ~ hit the overpass at 50+ mph.  Truck and lowboy trailer kept going (although not far).  Excavator made an abrupt stop.

Oops!  :rolleyes:

image.png.c9741af69e2312274f42486823fd33f4.png

image.png.6a1f095051b0fc74c9cf768e4032bdbf.png

Won't be digging his way out of that one.:lol:

I worked for 34 years on a road that paralleled the Nimitz Fwy two blocks south of the Marina Blvd. overpass in San Leandro CA.  While I worked there the over pass was hit twice north bound & once south bound by low boys loaded with a 35 ton fork life that didn't have its' mast lowered all the way & once by an excavator.  The Marina Blvd overpass was modified after 2012 to raised it to current Caltrans spec's.  Both times one lane on the overpass was closed for months for repairs.  The 1st hit the truck driver didn't know he hit the overpass because only the muffler of the CAT scrapper hit it.  The muffler didn't land in the hwy.  The scrapper was being hauled to Peterson Tractor Co.'s Marina Blvd. HQ, showroom & shop.  When the scraper was unloaded the muffler was missing.  It was eventually found when a mechanic climb up to look into the bowl.

i think that is one expensive oversight , i once had to extract a 12000 lb forklift from a pit he backed into , luckily the roof was high enough for the crain , and then there was the time when we almost tipped over a 199 ton crain trying to pick a 55' double tee wall panel - they forgot to cut the caulk joints fully , amazing what that stuff will glue together even after years in place 

3 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

I worked for 34 years on a road that paralleled the Nimitz Fwy two blocks south of the Marina Blvd. overpass in San Leandro CA.  While I worked there the over pass was hit twice north bound & once south bound by low boys loaded with a 35 ton fork life that didn't have its' mast lowered all the way & once by an excavator.  The Marina Blvd overpass was modified after 2012 to raised it to current Caltrans spec's.  Both times one lane on the overpass was closed for months for repairs.  The 1st hit the truck driver didn't know he hit the overpass because only the muffler of the CAT scrapper hit it.  The muffler didn't land in the hwy.  The scrapper was being hauled to Peterson Tractor Co.'s Marina Blvd. HQ, showroom & shop.  When the scraper was unloaded the muffler was missing.  It was eventually found when a mechanic climb up to look into the bowl.

Something like Kaiser Way, JD?  I used to live on Marina Blvd... back in the days when the Nimitz Freeway was called "Seventeen."  Not THE Seventeen... Seventeen!  ^_^

16 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Something like Kaiser Way, JD?  I used to live on Marina Blvd... back in the days when the Nimitz Freeway was called "Seventeen."  Not THE Seventeen... Seventeen!  ^_^

I retired before the Kaiser Hospital opened.  It was well before the Hospital building was completed; so, Kaiser Way didn't exist.  I remember when Caltrans upgraded 17's lane width to meet federal freeway standards to get the extra federal money for maintenance. 

Archived