SASS Wire Forum

Polishing Ruger Vaqueros

Guy Smiley

I would like to get my Ruger Vaquero’s  polished and have many of the factory rough finishing marks corrected. I am considering sending them Fords Custom Gun Refinishing. Has anyone used Fords or do you have other recommendations? 

F81BC74C-21F0-43E0-BCAF-8ECAE0989449.jpeg

CBC1D4FB-6DF5-482A-99B9-0384821D0670.jpeg

2B42AC07-5943-4862-A73E-09E9D876FEDC.jpeg

9B8625F5-F929-40AD-86F5-2BFF128D8B58.jpeg

The kindest thing I can say is that they are disgraceful.

I have two SASS NMVs in .45 Colt that are mirror bright, without a blemish.

I don't understand how a reputable company like Ruger would allow something like that out of the factory let alone place the SASS emblem on them.

Mother's wheel polish works well on mine. Similar to Flitz. But it won't remove machining marks.

I was looking at the gouges in the back of the hammer, and the surface porosity where the hammer spur meets the body. That hammer should have never made it past QA.

Friday gun?

I agree the finish is poorly done and they never should have left the factory.

No consider that while nice shiny guns look great shooting them in the bright sun can be a real challenge. The glare off the guns can be so bad you can't see the sights or the targets.

I love stainless Steel firearms but prefer them to have a brushed finish. The only exception is my BBQ sidearm.

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Contact Ruger and show them those pictures.

They appear to be Jimmy Spurs guns, so Ruger option is likely too late. JMHO

Yes, they are Jimmy Spurs guns so I can’t send them back to Ruger. Jimmy Spurs work is fantastic and they are great to shoot. At first I was less concerned about the finish because they are shooters instead of collector items. Now I want them to look as good as they shoot. I also plan to get some new grips but I think the polishing should be done before fitting new grips.  

Assuming those are Stainless?  In my early LE days, we were issued S & W Model 66s.  Stainless K frame .357s.  At that time, in talking to S& W and gunsmiths, the recommendation was to limit polishing as stainless is hardened differently from carbon steel.  Was told the harness does not penetrate completely through the steel. Therefore rigorous polishing could remove the heat treat.  No first hand knowledge, just what I was told.  

Seems if that was the case, engraving would be really bad to do and consider the grooves Jimmy cuts around the breach end of the cylinder. JMHO

Howdy,

I think if those were mine I would have then sand blasted

or other wise treated to give a more rough non reflective finish.

High polish on a sunny day might not work so well.

But sure to each his own.

Some brand new Harleys have a flat finish....

Looks great to me.

ymmv.

Best

CR

On 1/31/2023 at 9:51 PM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

The kindest thing I can say is that they are disgraceful.

I have two SASS NMVs in .45 Colt that are mirror bright, without a blemish.

I don't understand how a reputable company like Ruger would allow something like that out of the factory let alone place the SASS emblem on them.

Pard, that's the only way I've EVER seen a factory-stock Ruger, and their internals are worse!!!

Yes, they were brand new when I got them but I ordered them sight unseen from a dealer in 2020.  I felt lucky to be able to find them at the time.  Now I just need to find the right person to dress them up and fix the horrible factory finish. 

1 hour ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Pard, that's the only way I've EVER seen a factory-stock Ruger, and their internals are worse!!!

WOW!

That's disappointing to hear.

I guess I was lucky because my SASS examples are quite flawless, as were the Old Model Vaqueros they replaced.

When did the quality start going down?

I've never seen a brand new Ruger looking like that! Or a used one for that matter.

Archived