SASS Wire Forum

Horse question

Alpo

What is the purpose of the yellow things on the horse's front legs?

IMG_20230131_182739706.thumb.jpg.8c99cab834138ead072c7abf81abc66e.jpg

I've seen pictures of race horses with what looks like a rolled up towel tucked underneath the strap that goes across their nose.

thoroughbred-race-horse-being-warmed-up-

And I've been told that that's because they're afraid of their feet. They see their feet out in front of them when they are running and it spooks them. So that thing on their nose prevents them from seeing their feet. It blocks their vision.

I suppose those could be leg warmers, like on a girl from the '80s doing aerobics. :P

But what is their purpose?

20 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Hell if I know. I was in the band. B)

Ditto, Sousaphone! So we’re a good number of girls. Being a football star may make you BMOC, but I spent more time talking to them while Joe Jock was running the play pattern. :D

CJ

Those are wraps, they are for support, other then that I would have to search my memory to hard to remember more, been 8, 9 years since I dealt with horses

What are horse bandages used for?

Image result for horse bandages

Owners commonly apply bandages to shield recent wounds or tendon or -ligament injuries, to protect during shipping or performance, and to prevent fluid accumulation in the limb (“stocking up”) during stall rest.14 Dec 2018

When running at full speed, a horse’s back hooves can strike his front legs.  The wraps on the front legs prevent them from injuring themselves.

8 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

When running at full speed, a horse’s back hooves can strike his front legs.  The wraps on the front legs prevent them from injuring themselves.

Thank you J-Bar I totally drew a blank what wraps were for except support

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

The solution being to breed horses with longer torsos and shorter legs.

12 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

The solution being to breed horses with longer torsos and shorter legs.

They don’t win money!

:D

A horse looking like a Dachshund probably wouldn't look as good as well. 

13 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

A horse looking like a Dachshund probably wouldn't look as good as well. 

Oh great, a pygmy horse that will kick you in the shins, still bite and never shut the hell up.;)

"Shoot low, they're ridin' Shetlands!"

Here's what we would end up with, Pards

th.jpeg-3.jpg

Horse boots are used to protect the horse's legs from injury during riding, lunging or turnout, as well as absorbing some of the shock on impact as a horse's hoof hits the ground. Horse boots can protect a horse's legs from interference that can lead to abrasions and splints.

“Afraid of their front feet” Hilarious! :lol:

We used one of those on a quarter horse that we trail rode ! He’d shy at the smallest mud puddle on ‘bout any trail we rode.  Dern fool horse would jump right in a stream or the river if you were to try to cross it, but he’d throw a bucking fit at a puddle of water.

We figured he’d stepped off in a hole that was full of water sometime and it was locked in his brain.

No telling how many riders have been bucked off when their horse shied after seeing a plastic bag fluttering in the breeze.  That’s why savvy riders keep a good grip on the reins.

Never know what will spook a horse, even a bulletproof trail horse.  Was on a trail ride and the guy ahead of me had tied a slicker behind his saddle.  The wind picked up, the slicker flapped,  and off he went.  We ended up waiting for the ambulance.

My spouse had a dressage horse that would throw a fit when she encountered a falling leaf. She was a stitch in the woods in the fall.

My favourite horse, so far, was Nellie. She was close to 30 and by far the meanest horse ever!

Nellie was not a riding horse. You could tell her teammates by their bite marks.

;-)

When my wife had horses she tied reflective streamers, Pie pans, wind chimes and other stuff that would flitter flash and make noise in the wind all around the barns and arena. This got the horses used to movement and noises so that they wouldn't spook in the arena with people moving and the occasional dumb @$$ with a flash camera.

She also tied pie pans and tin cans to their saddles to condition them for the same reason.

Occasionally she sold a horse  a horse never got over used to all the extra movement and was sold.

We tied a bag of cans in our horse stall for one of our show horses. He absolutely would not touch it. When we ran a show and set up a trail class, there was no bag of can for us to shake. He was a great horse, other wise.

On 2/3/2023 at 8:23 AM, Blackwater 53393 said:

We used one of those on a quarter horse that we trail rode ! He’d shy at the smallest mud puddle on ‘bout any trail we rode.  Dern fool horse would jump right in a stream or the river if you were to try to cross it, but he’d throw a bucking fit at a puddle of water.

We figured he’d stepped off in a hole that was full of water sometime and it was locked in his brain.

Sounds like my old patrol horse. A herd of wild pigs didn’t bother him . But a mud puddle or a bird…….:lol:

3 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Give me a mule over a horse, anytime! 

Well, ya kinda need a horse to start with...

Archived