SASS Wire Forum

More sweeps than you can shake a stick at.

Make do

16 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Another one that is becoming popular is the 1883 sweep. 1-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-4-4-4. This one is challenging but once you get the hang of it it flows well. 

I have discovered that some sweeps are confusing on paper but when you actually shoot them they flow pretty well.

You obviously don't shoot black powder.  If there is no wind, after the third shot, you can't see the targets and the more you shoot, the worse it gets.

The same with the 1892 and 1873 Sweeps.

18 minutes ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

You obviously don't shoot black powder.  If there is no wind, after the third shot, you can't see the targets and the more you shoot, the worse it gets.

The same with the 1892 and 1873 Sweeps.

When I am not shooting Frontiersman I shoot FCD. I love a challenge and shooting BP when the wind is blowing isn't half as much fun as it is early in the morning when the air is still and damp. 

I've shot stages where the spotters couldn't see the SG targets for 10 seconds or more after the 4th shot.

After the first shot I had to follow the reset ropes to know where to aim. Only knew the targets were down because I heard them fall.

10 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

When I am not shooting Frontiersman I shoot FCD. I love a challenge and shooting BP when the wind is blowing isn't half as much fun as it is early in the morning when the air is still and damp. 

I've shot stages where the spotters couldn't see the SG targets for 10 seconds or more after the 4th shot.

After the first shot I had to follow the reset ropes to know where to aim. Only knew the targets were down because I heard them fall.

I was shooting an 1892 sweep at Smoke in the Woods and the spotters said I had two misses.  I said we can't even see the targets, how did you see two misses, but I still had the two misses.

19 minutes ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

I was shooting an 1892 sweep at Smoke in the Woods and the spotters said I had two misses.  I said we can't even see the targets, how did you see two misses, but I still had the two misses.

It's happened to me as well. On the other hand I have known I had a miss that the spotters failed to call.

On 2/1/2023 at 7:21 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I got a damn headache looking at that!:P

Me too pard!

On 2/1/2023 at 11:34 AM, Dusty Devil Dale said:

It isn't particularly new - been around a while.  You have to think in threes.

123--- 234 ---345---3.  It isn't what anybody would call GF-friendly, or even two-handed shooter-friendly (pistol split can be a challenge under the clock).  Rifle is a lot simpler. I've run into it in matches fairly often.

Yep, I like it, seems like an easy progression on five targets. I'm gonna keep it;)

On 2/1/2023 at 4:59 PM, Captain Bill Burt said:

I don't see one of my favorites, the 'Cat Herder's Sweep'.  1,1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1,1.

It's listed under another name.;)

Missouri Hillbilly Sweep: Posted by Missouri Marshal (SASS#50682, VA). Ten shots on four targets, 1-1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1-1. Think of this as a Nevada Sweep, but with double taps on the end targets

• 3 months later...
On 2/1/2023 at 4:40 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

The once that brought the most complaints when it first appeared here was 1-5-2-4-3 followed by the 3-2-4-1-5. The whole posse was calling it a P trap when it was read. After everyone shot it the complaining stopped and now I see it everywhere.  

I like that one, but with the caveat that the actual order is the shooter's choice.

The two outside targets,

The two inner targets,

The center target,

Then Reverse or Repeat per the stage directions.

i will add - those are only three targets , i see a lot of four and five target sets out here , im sure we really dont want to see that printout 

im going to just shoot what they set for the match , there have been easy ones and hard ones , its all part of tje game - why i do it and why i travel to do it , i like sporting clays for the same reason , you get to experience that first time feel [no pun here ladies] but if you like it go for it , i want to be surprised in my experiences a new adventure , even if im less than good at it ill enjoy it , 

PLEASE !!!

When your creative "sweep juices" are flowing, don't forget the three spotters and  T.O. who will have a hard time following if things get too wild or variable between shooters. 

I didn't see the "Stair Step" Sweep:  1, 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 4.

Archived