SASS Wire Forum

Coffee and Conquest

Subdeacon Joe

Interesting quote about coffee.

“Just the other day, I was in my neighborhood Starbucks, waiting for the post office to open. I was enjoying a chocolatey cafe mocha when it occurred to me that to drink a mocha is to gulp down the entire history of the New World. From the Spanish exportation of Aztec cacao, and the Dutch invention of the chemical process for making cocoa, on down to the capitalist empire of Hershey, PA, and the lifestyle marketing of Seattle's Starbucks, the modern mocha is a bittersweet concoction of imperialism, genocide, invention, and consumerism served with whipped cream on top.”
― Sarah Vowell

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

“Pat, I’d like to dump a Vowell, please.”

Damn... Two monitor cleanings in two posts in one thread. That HAS to be a record!

I wonder if Vowell thought “… and I am conveying this to you on a fantastic device designed by people of a country that attacked the USA and terrorized the peoples of the Pacific. Was built by the the most oppressive and largest country on the planet. Was shipped here via a diesel fuel burning cargo ship.  Utilizes towers that are bad for the environment and animal life and send radio signals that may or may not harm life. 
And I sit in this synthetic building on this synthetic chair wearing my synthetic clothes made from oil and chemicals that are hazardous to the planet after arriving here in my gasoline burning automobile made in the country that designed my cell phone and shipped here by a different cargo ship, all so my smarmy @$$ can sit here and feel superior and smug sipping my drink.

Oh look, a coupon! I’ll be back tomorrow for that discount…toodles!” 

Archived