SASS Wire Forum

Where should I measure for what gunbelt size I need?

Corey Thompson

Good morning everyone,

I recently am getting into SASS and gathering everything I need to start shooting. I am looking at getting my belt and holsters next, but I’m not sure how to measure for a gun belt. my guess is to measure around my actual waist rather than where my jeans waistline sits. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, where do I check if an alias is already taken? Thanks in advance!

Measure where you want your belt to ride. Some pards wear them high and others low. Most seem to wear them just below where their pants belt would ride. You can also wear it a little higher and have your holsters made with some drop to them so your guns grips are at the right height for your reach. Many options are available. 

I’d discuss it with the person who is gonna make it. 

Hugs! 

Scarlett

10 minutes ago, Doc Moses said:

Do your alias as a call in. Then if your first choice is taken you will know right away and can go with your 2nd choice. Get everything done at once.

Doc, I think you were trying to respond to the closed topic on Alias lookup.  ???

2 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Doc, I think you were trying to respond to the closed topic on Alias lookup.  ???

Original poster closed by saying that he wanted to know how to tell if an alias is taken. Trying help out with that. :) 

Talk to your leathermaker, try on any loadbearing belts( for other type of pistols) that you have, ask to try others leather after a match, be willing to adjust for expansion as we age.

As for alias- be creative and dont expect any alias from films or literature will be available. Use some family name or pun.

Imis  (yes I have seen myself shoot)

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

I’d discuss it with the person who is gonna make it. 

Here is your answer.  If you don’t ask the vendor but order a belt based on your DIY measurements and end up with a belt that does not fit, don’t expect the vendor to pay for your mistake.

Remember, this is your first experience sizing a gunbelt.  Your vendor has done many of them.

i bought my first gunbelt from a commercial source - not a custom maker , their sight gave a guide to sizing that was fairly accurate , it did not take into account any of my body differentials but strictly went be belt size - while it worked fine my body changed a couple times over the years so it worked better at some points than others ..........this was not like holding my pants up - which is another story altogether , you need to think about whether your prone to gain a little or loose a little from one point to another in the year , i loose/gain about 5 lbs from time to time , but im small and slight - got no hips or butt  - mine started falling down , its easier to buy/make an "adjuster" for those that gain in their fluctuations , if i were to buy again id have the adjustments built into a shorter/tighter belt ................but thats me , this is a really personal thing and there is no easy answer , 

i think what im trying to say is there is no "one size fits all" solution , a good builder will set you up right and allow adjustments in the system for your yearly changes 

Best bet besides working with the maker, is to try on few at a match to see what YOU like and then measure it to the center hole. Got Ellie's from JM leather, Johnny & his wife worked with Ellie on the phone for about an hour determining her needs. The rig has worked excellent.

8 hours ago, Corey Thompson said:

Thank you so much everyone, I will talk some makers and decide who I will go with. 

No affiliation what so ever but, I just placed an order with Mernickle for my first set up...they were AMAZING to deal with, helpful, kind, took there time to help me through a custom order and just as polite and thankful for the buisness as they could be.

There is also a couple good reviews on their  starter set and high performance by Jed I. Knight....JedITV on youtube.

Only downside is if you go custom, there is a decent lead time...tho they may have "on the shelf stuff" I don't know but it is definitely a highly regarded product made by actual shooters.

the one thing ive found over the years is its not hard to find an 'expander' for your belt should you find the need , its a bit more trouble to get one shortened [thats my issue] it can be done but its always a bit more involved than that added bit with extra buckle and such , unless you work in leather and have the tools and bits at hand its a royal PITA , ive bought some tools so i can "fix" mine , might be cheaper to have it custom made at this point ....but i like it so i just make the adjustments as needed , not recommending this but again we each have our own body issues to deal with , mine are not the norm i fear but im confident  not alone , 

there are plenty of explanations and that video is as good as any - im not in agreement with the oversize but that is because i used a similar explanation when i bought mine and it was wrong for me , 

Archived