SASS Wire Forum

Lowe's new theft idea

Rye Miles #13621

Interesting.   That will work for a small portion of retail theft.  But I'm seeing stores locking up false eyelashes, razor blades, even tampons.

Now we wait for all the conspiracy mongers to start screaming about how "they" want to control them and how they'll keep rebuilding their 1939 circular saws.

I can see it now. Your building a deck when all of a sudden your drill driver stops and you get a text telling you to pay a fee or you driver will be disabled forever. You recall hearing about this happening all over the US.

You put your tools away then go out for beers with your buddies. Problem solved. Wife is ticked off. 
A few days later you contact the blackmailers and ask them to lock out your battery powered yard tools, but they refuse. So, you pay the money to get them to do it. They are confused but oblige…

A new day has dawned. Forced goofing off. Oh, the humanity. 

Actually. you pull out all the great old corded tools that were too reliable and useful to dispose of. and go about your business.  I'd want one of the new tools about as much as I want a car that will shut itself off at a light or in traffic.

41 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Actually. you pull out all the great old corded tools that were too reliable and useful to dispose of. and go about your business.  I'd want one of the new tools about as much as I want a car that will shut itself off at a light or in traffic.

Don't forget the 20 mile extension cord.

53 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

The system will be bypassed and hacked by some smart person and then spread on the internet How To's 

That is true enough!! B)

26 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

That is true enough!! B)

Shame.....all that theft eventually causes all of us to pay more to cover it. 

There's only 25m Aussies yet there is around $12b in theft from retail per annum.....looks like our convict heritage hasn't completely died out. 

17 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Shame.....all that theft eventually causes all of us to pay more to cover it. 

There's only 25m Aussies yet there is around $12b in theft from retail per annum.....looks like our convict heritage hasn't completely died out. 

Throughout the years criminals have figured out the new technology to continue their crimes. Telegraph, phones etc 

Remember when keurig 2.0 only worked with 'approved' pods? 

If you took the foil top off and taped it in place you could use whatever you wanted. The foil had rfid chip in it.

This is not good tech, rfid interrupting the use of a tool that I bought and own.

I can see it being perverted into the scam some of the Euro car companies are running; want that drill-driver to turn an extra 300 RPM? Five bucks a month subscription. You need that charger to fill up that battery quicker? A mere 24 dollars a year makes it a reality! 

And I completely agree with others that the tech will simply be hacked and become a moot point except to create issues for honest consumers.

Archived