SASS Wire Forum

The final frontier

Utah Bob #35998

So the green Comet, which is now in our night sky and hasn’t been seen since Forty Rod was a young fella, has had me anticipating getting the new telescope in operation and also cruising various astronomical resources.

During this extensive research I found that I was born in the Year of the Rat, the moon is hollow, and that eclipses don’t really exist. Note: (Not all of my resources were perhaps fully vetted)

This led to a small brain seed which grew into an Alpoesque query.

Thus:

Definitions

1. Comet - Basically dust and Ice. Cruises around the sun

2. Asteroid - Bigass hunka rock. Smaller than a planet but larger than the Kansas City offensive line. And if one should smack into us, could end LAWKI faster than melting Tesla batteries

3. Meteoroid - Also a flying space rock. Stays out there.

4  Meteor - A meteoroid the enters the atmosphere and flames on, aka shooting star

5. Meteorite - A meteor that makes it through the atmosphere, Greenhouse gasses, cow methane, and possibly the thin skin of the International Space Station, and impacts Mother Earth (the planet, not the magazine).

The question, broken down into layman’s terms as best I could, is this:

Part the first.

If an asteroid enters the earth’s atmosphere and smacks into terra firma, is it then,

A. an asterite?, and B. Would it really matter what we call it anyway if it destroys the earth?

Part the second.

If a meteoroid enters our Nitrogen based blue sky, doesn’t get burnt up on the way down but gets reduced to, lets say, the size of a 45 acp round and smacks into some unlucky Homo Sapiens or even politician standing in his yard, does it then be come a meteorite. If it is stuck in the cranium, thorax, or nether regions of the aforementioned biped, and hasn’t technically hit the earth…..is it technically a meteorite?? Do we need a new term?

As an unrelated aside, while I was writing this I glanced up and saw a video on the news of a meteorite crashing through a house! I turned up the volume and found it was only a boulder though. So I turned off the news and put on a Thin Man movie. 

All answers to the above query will be considered, analized analyzed, researched, cross checked, and either discarded or filed in what’s left of my brain. Thank you all for your attention and consideration.

I remain,

Your Devoted and Curious Correspondent 

Utah Robert, esq

Astrospeculationist, Retired

20 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Part the second.

If a meteoroid enters our Nitrogen based blue sky, doesn’t get burnt up on the way down but gets reduced to, lets say, the size of a 45 acp round and smacks into some unlucky Homo Sapiens or even politician standing in his yard, does it then be come a meteorite. If it is stuck in the cranium, thorax, or nether regions of the aforementioned biped, and hasn’t technically hit the earth…..is it technically a meteorite?? Do we need a new term?

Depends. If it becomes stuck in the poor soul’s hind quarters, it’s an asteroid. 

28 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

So the green Comet, which is now in our night sky and hasn’t been seen since Forty Rod was a young fella, has had me anticipating getting the new telescope in operation and also cruising various astronomical resources.

During this extensive research I found that I was born in the Year of the Rat, the moon is hollow, and that eclipses don’t really exist. Note: (Not all of my resources were perhaps fully vetted)

This led to a small brain seed which grew into an Alpoesque query.

Thus:

Definitions

1. Comet - Basically dust and Ice. Cruises around the sun

2. Asteroid - Bigass hunka rock. Smaller than a planet but larger than the Kansas City offensive line. And if one should smack into us, could end LAWKI faster than melting Tesla batteries

3. Meteoroid - Also a flying space rock. Stays out there.

4  Meteor - A meteoroid the enters the atmosphere and flames on, aka shooting star

5. Meteorite - A meteor that makes it through the atmosphere, Greenhouse gasses, cow methane, and possibly the thin skin of the International Space Station, and impacts Mother Earth (the planet, not the magazine).

The question, broken down into layman’s terms as best I could, is this:

Part the first.

If an asteroid enters the earth’s atmosphere and smacks into terra firma, is it then,

A. an asterite?, and B. Would it really matter what we call it anyway if it destroys the earth?

Part the second.

As an unrelated aside, while I was writing this I glanced up and saw a video on the news of a meteorite crashing through a house! I turned up the volume and found it was only a boulder though. So I turned off the news and put on a Thin Man movie. 

All answers to the above query will be considered, analized analyzed, researched, cross checked, and either discarded or filed in what’s left of my brain. Thank you all for your attention and consideration.

I remain,

Your Devoted and Curious Correspondent 

Utah Robert, esq

Astrospeculationist, Retired

Bobby, you've been paying attention! :D I have a Padawan.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Has anyone actually seen the green comet? 

I've not heard of anyone actually seeing it either by naked eye or telescope.

I will look tonight. I have seen a pic a friend took with a low power telescope and a long exposure. 5the skies are crystal clear today. My only concern is the positio;of the moon but perhaps it will have set early enough to not interfere.

2 hours ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

As far as “worrying about” asteroids and various space detritus….I don’t. Not one bit.  :D

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Has anyone actually seen the green comet? 

I've not heard of anyone actually seeing it either by naked eye or telescope.

No. I planned to grab my telescope on a clear night and head to the top of this hill that is clear of trees to see it. Unfortunately it has been cloudy every night this month except for Saturday night. It was clear directly above us but cloudy at the horizon to the north where the comet can be seen. This Friday is supposed to be a clear night so we’ll see what happens. 

These were taken with my Canon 7Ti and 18-55 mm lens at 18mm about three nights ago.  First pic the comet is in the upper left corner, second pic it is circled, between the Big and Little Dipper.  I could see it through my cheapie pocket binoculars, but not naked eye.  It should be a bit brighter tonight if you have clear skies.

D49E17F4-36B9-4D98-A28F-1BA106F1CE72.jpeg

68B7DF14-CCA4-4A5E-B039-28586534446D.jpeg

20 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

I think UB and Alpo have teamed up....................:blink:

Teamed up ? Has anyone actually seen them together ?  It could be Alpo is just Utah's  other alter ego account !  Is Alpo really Utah Bob in disguise ? 
 All I really want to know is do we get to play Cowboys vs Aliens ?

Archived