SASS Wire Forum

Shot Shell Tray

Lucky R. K.

Capt. Baylor recently mentioned using a baking sheet under your shot shell loader to catch shot and/or powder when you miss a lick. I have set up my loaders the same way except I went a step further. At the lower right corner, I drilled a hole thru the cookie sheet and the top of the workbench. On the bottom side of the bench top I attached a jelly jar lid with a hole in it corresponding to the hole in the bench and screwed on the jar. When I have a spill, I just use a small paintbrush to sweep everything down thru the hole into the jar. You can use a metal mesh strainer to separate the powder and shot. If you always use the same powder and shot, you can reclaim them to use again.

Lucky :D

1905372678_Shotgunspillsheet.thumb.jpg.a8f1799ac5c53fe47a07e6a9f6a4dcba.jpg 

2 hours ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Howdy Lucky,

Hey! You stole my idea. Just kidding. I also use the sheet pan, but just put a cork in the hole.

By the way, why does someone name "Lucky" need the pan anyway? 

Rev. Chase

I think he's only Lucky when outside of the reloading room.  Have you seen the picture of him when his loader blew up? :o  Well I guess he was lucky then that it wasn't worse!

Good idea! I use the pans under my 550 and 900. Now I have to figure out how to incorporate that in a setup on a metal office desk.  Thanks

Imis

I kept it simple.  loader is mounted to a smooth flat top.  To contain any shot spills I use a metal picture frame around my Mec laying flat on the table.  It's heavy enough to stay in place.  If I need to clean some spilled shot off the table, all I need to do is use a card to guide all the shot into one corner, then slid the frame over the side of the bench while holding a pan underneath to catch all the shot.  Easy, just pour back into my shot can.

Works well since I have three loaders on this bench. Just move the frame to the loading station I'm working with.  Frames come in different sizes, purchase at thrift shops for a buck or two.

what a great idea , ive used a tray under my loader for years , but never thought to add a collection port , might be able to save shot ...ben vacuuming the spills out - i know not the best idea that , but its what ive done , i like it a lot , thanks 

I have and use several cookie sheets in my reloading room. One is drilled to fit under my shot shell press. The others are not.

After a loading session on my shot shell press I pour all the shot and powder into a sheet with no holes and prop one end up a few inches. Then I use a soft bristle paint brush to slowly drag the shot and powder up the incline. stopping about 1/3 of the way from the top. The shot will roll back to the bottom while the powder stays put. This way I can easily separate the shot and powder. Once separated, I use a small spoon to collect the shot. Then pour the powder back into the bottle.

On 1/31/2023 at 3:11 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I think he's only Lucky when outside of the reloading room.  Have you seen the picture of him when his loader blew up? :o  Well I guess he was lucky then that it wasn't worse!

We think we finally figured out what caused the blowup. A piece of shot got down in the opening for the priming station. We had had several spills of shot and powder and a piece of shot probably fell in. There was about half a bottle of black powder setting on top of the station when it went off. There was not an explosion, just a big "WOOOFF". Amazingly, it didn't do much damage.

Lucky :D

image.thumb.jpeg.a421e9226e473b2aba45d88a7871b26c.jpeg

i gotta add my caution to this thread ..a friend was vacuuming up shot and powder in his reloading room and picked up a primer that went off in the canister of the shop vac , lots of smoke , luckily no fire 

Archived