SASS Wire Forum

Would this be normal in Canada

Alpo

She says it's 30 below. I converted -30c to Fahrenheit, and that's -22, so that's still awful damn cold. At that kind of temperature I would be an Alposicle.

Buuuut, I've seen pictures of Canadians walking around in shorts and tank tops with snow on the ground, so possibly they're used to this.

fb230131.gif.34287cf4d76974656fde1fafaf6d78f7.gif

Or it could simply be teenage exaggeration - "I've told you this a million times!!"

But the boy just appears to be wearing blue jeans, the girl does not have on a hat, and neither one has their face covered. If it was really 30 below, it seems to me that they would be wearing a lot more clothing.

In Oregon I knew guys that wore shorts year ‘round. Sun, rain, snow, whatever, they wore shorts. 

Notice I didn’t say I knew “really smart guys”?

One gent in particular was always in shorts. I told him one day he’d regret not being prepared. He shunned my input. One really cold snowy day his truck broke down. AAA said he’d have to wait at least 2 hours. He had nothing in his truck for protection. He was pretty darned cold when the tow truck showed. After that he actually wore pants and he had and emergency pack in his truck with a blanket and spare clothes that included long pants. 

I see guys around here in zero temps wearing shorts and short sleeves with sneakers.:rolleyes:

A friend, now passed, lived in Minnesota.  Most of the winter, he wore knee length shorts and sandals, he did wear a jacket.  He was a big guy, and not young.  We hit some pretty cold temps in Montana, and you do see some of the kids wearing too little.  Adults generally dressed for the weather.  At -30 or -40° I stay in if I can.

Minus 15 C here the other day and I saw not one but two fellows just in shorts, but wearing boots.

It's what you get used to, i guess. I find it chilly, in the fall, when temperature dips to 40 F but in the spring, I'm out in a T-shirt.

Amusing story: My SIL is from India and has been here in Canada for many years.

A couple of years after she and my BIL married, they visited Amritsar India, where she was from, to visit her side of the family.

Unfortunately, they chose July to do it.

On the plus side, her brother's home had A/C, where they stayed most of the day, venturing out when it got a little cooler at night.

Davinder swore she would never return to India during the summer again.

I teased her she had become Canadianized and I guess she was: she snowmobiled, ice skated, camped and fished.

I wear jeans when it is -30/40 C but, I wear long underwear under them. I also wear a cowboy hat, and earmuffs. If there is a wind-chill at that temp, I wear a ball cap with the hood up.

I see younger dudes wearing a hoodie but with shorts in cold temps. I don't get it! So your upper body is warm but your legs are cold??:wacko:  

Legs, apparently, or less susceptible to cold than arms and the trunk.

World War II era films frequently show European children wearing coats, because it's cold, and shorts. When I was in high school, in the seventies, girls would wear sweaters or coats because it was cold, and micro mini skirts.

When you are going into cold water, if you wade into the water, as you get deeper and deeper in the water level climbs up your legs, you get used to it, and then it finally gets up over your waist and gets to your belly and it's like you had a bucket of ice dumped on it.

And I have noticed that if I get in the shower before the hot water has made it to the shower head from the water heater, the water on my legs is nowhere near as painful as the water on my chest.

That is why I believe that legs are less susceptible to cold.

One winter I was in Siberia during or shortly after New Years. Some tv stations had a line in the corner of the screen that told the temperature at the airport, typically -30°C or colder. Apartment windows are typically triple glazed with a double glazed window, a foot or so airspace and then another window.  Doors to the front of the building had sally ports, spaced about five feet deep between the inside and outside doors.

friends would come in a car to pick me up. I would dash from the door to the car. I would always be chastised for not wearing a hat during the dash, it was always a short run. It is just in the culture, “wear a hat.”

Weird coincidence. I went to the shooting range today. It’s snowing. When I went in the guys in the store were laughing about “the idiots running around in shorts b****ing about how cold it is outside.”

I didn’t bother asking about it. I just thought it was funny. 

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Legs, apparently, or less susceptible to cold than arms and the trunk.

World War II era films frequently show European children wearing coats, because it's cold, and shorts. When I was in high school, in the seventies, girls would wear sweaters or coats because it was cold, and micro mini skirts.

When you are going into cold water, if you wade into the water, as you get deeper and deeper in the water level climbs up your legs, you get used to it, and then it finally gets up over your waist and gets to your belly and it's like you had a bucket of ice dumped on it.

And I have noticed that if I get in the shower before the hot water has made it to the shower head from the water heater, the water on my legs is nowhere near as painful as the water on my chest.

That is why I believe that legs are less susceptible to cold.

Not mine, of course my legs are old!!:P

One of the last matches I shot at Possum Trot was 17F and blowing snow down the firing line, Blackwater shot in shirtsleeves. He claimed not to be cold. I dont get it.

Imis

On 1/31/2023 at 9:24 AM, Rip Snorter said:

A friend, now passed, lived in Minnesota.  Most of the winter, he wore knee length shorts and sandals, he did wear a jacket.  He was a big guy, and not young.  We hit some pretty cold temps in Montana, and you do see some of the kids wearing too little.  Adults generally dressed for the weather.  At -30 or -40° I stay in if I can.

If it ever gets that cold here I'll be on a plane.

antigua snowman.jpg

10 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

on the other hand, I've been known to put on a jacket when the sun goes behind a cloud

Me too. In my younger days I'd sit in a deer blind when it was cold enough to freeze the balls off a pool table. Not so much anymore.

JHC

15 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

You should know that Canadians are innovative. 

nh5owvhclujyjkw5f1a1v436e7mbtbss.jpg

The next snow fall, I'm going to try that.

We maintain that there's no such thing as cold weather , merely inadequate clothing .

Here in the mountains of Colorado we treasure the cold and snow ,after all , how can we keep the fountain at the B292816730_Jan202333below(1).thumb.JPG.397e9783f92f1aecddb984c52c3cbcb0.JPG112302307_SnowStakeJan23.thumb.JPG.4d04b31f0952bad36b8c9e8c36d9e230.JPGellagio running ??? LOL

In my early teens, I delivered newspapers in Colorado, on a bike 4 months a year and a sled 8 months a year. After 60 years I have finally gotten warm. I am not going back.

Imis

22 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

I never thought that anything was normal about Canada. 

220l2h.jpg

Great poem I learned from my 6th grade teacher Mrs. Strickland. She was strict but a good old time teacher, esp. in English. One of the reasons I was always a straight A English student.

But I digress. A poem for those of us who freeze easily. Kinda long but it's winter.

JHC

The Cremation of Sam McGee, Robert W. Service

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/45081/the-cremation-of-sam-mcgee

On 1/31/2023 at 2:22 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That pansy is drinking coffee! What a wuss! :lol:

See any steam coming off that cup?????? He either drank it all or it might be Black Velvet or Smirnoff or some other antifreeze!

JHC:lol:

On 2/2/2023 at 6:13 PM, Perro Del Diablo said:

I never thought that anything was normal about Canada. 

They probably think the same about Texas. Not that I disagree with you.

JHC

laughing baby #2.gif

Archived