SASS Wire Forum

Lady in OPEN Category?

Scarlett

This thread has REALLY deviated from the OP.  There are categories - FCGF, Wrangler etc that are open - male or female may compete. There are Lady FCGF and Lady Wrangler.  What ever gender your DL says you are determines if you can shoot in a Lady category. THIS POST ISN’T about that. 

Hugs. 
Scarlett

8 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

This thread has REALLY deviated from the OP.  There are categories - FCGF, Wrangler etc that are open - male or female may compete. There are Lady FCGF and Lady Wrangler.  What ever gender your DL says you are determines if you can shoot in a Lady category. THIS POST ISN’T about that. 

Hugs. 
Scarlett

Topics all tend to drift off here. I may have to plead guilty on this one!!

Good luck shooting Scarlett!

14 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I’m thinking 99.9% of male shooters wouldn’t mind having you or any other lady shooter competing in their category, I sure wouldn’t have any Ill feelings or resentment over it. 

S,

If you are shooting on my posse at SW Reg, do not shoot than dirty, smokey, BP.:D

I’m only questioning the sentence “ All SASS categories are open gender categories “

17 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I shoot Lady Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter. It’s my  category. It’s what I LOVE shooting.  It’s also a category that doesn’t meet the minimum at a lot of places. It’s not a “choose your category wisely” situation for me.  

Here’s my question. Would it be acceptable for me to shoot FCGF in the OPEN category?

Be honest.

I know I can shoot LGF and shoot BP. I know I can shoot LGF and shoot smokeless. But neither of those are my category. 

Thoughtful replies appreciated. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

Acceptable? Absolutely!! 

As I just started dipping  my toe in the FC category last fall I think it would be great to "compete" against you!!

Scarlett, your welcome to shoot in fcgf with me anytime if thats what it takes to keep you shooting in your category of choice.  If you whip me, the ice cream sundae is on me…..,, but i still think that all the base categories should be offered.

JMO.

I have always had a different take as to why all categories should be honored ,as everyone pays same entry fees. .  Entry fees are not adjusted, if the match can not accommodate a shooters Category // style  .  Not cowboy way to not accommodate Friends. The game is not about trophy  as much as about personal enjoyment.   Repeat no pink Cadillac. 

Some just want to shoot their game as they are accustomed to ,( IJAG )

Spend a lot of money , then be told sorry we don't need you to enjoy yourself.  Your category will not be honored. 

Respectfully , E.T.

11 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I think there are some basic economics involved. Awards aren’t free and often the host clubs need to show a profit. 

Having said that, I’ve seen some high match fees for some pretty inexpensive awards and food too.

Remeber that it's a lot more than just Awards & Food for the "Big" match.  For many clubs, this is the equivalent to a fund raiser to keep the club going.  There are expenses such as Targets, Range Fees, Insurance, Maintenance, Timers, Scoring Computers, and the list goes on.  The club has to have a way of paying for all of those things as well or it will cease to exist.

The funds have to come from either the monthly match fees or their annual match.  Finding that perfect balance is a thankless and never ending task.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I’m only questioning the sentence “ All SASS categories are open gender categories “

Read it in context, not in isolation:

”All SASS categories are open gender categories (there are no men’s categories).  Base categories may be subdivided by gender to establish categories for women only.”

Perhaps the adjective “base” should appear in that first sentence (“All SASS base categories are open gender categories…”) but even as written the meaning is clear:

Categories are open to men or women (e.g., men and women may shoot Gunfighter); and

If the club recognizes a “lady” category (in my example, Lady Gunfighter) only ladies qualify to elect that category).

1 hour ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Remeber that it's a lot more than just Awards & Food for the "Big" match.  For many clubs, this is the equivalent to a fund raiser to keep the club going.  There are expenses such as Targets, Range Fees, Insurance, Maintenance, Timers, Scoring Computers, and the list goes on.  The club has to have a way of paying for all of those things as well or it will cease to exist.

The funds have to come from either the monthly match fees or their annual match.  Finding that perfect balance is a thankless and never ending task.

As a former MD I totally agree.  Just commenting that I have seen some big disparities in what you get for your money.  Not so much in fees.  Most State matches I've been to have small variations in what they charge for the initial shooter and spouse, but I have seen fairly big differences in what is charged for children.  I always appreciate those matches that cut a bigger break for families as it can get pretty expensive when you have multiple shooters.

Sorry Scarlett!  I'll be quiet, I've strayed way off topic!

Sorry Scarlett!  I'll be quiet, I've strayed way off topic!

@Captain Bill Burt - you are forgiven! 

Hugs!

Scarlett

2 hours ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

Read it in context, not in isolation:

”All SASS categories are open gender categories (there are no men’s categories).  Base categories may be subdivided by gender to establish categories for women only.”

Perhaps the adjective “base” should appear in that first sentence (“All SASS base categories are open gender categories…”) but even as written the meaning is clear:

Categories are open to men or women (e.g., men and women may shoot Gunfighter); and

If the club recognizes a “lady” category (in my example, Lady Gunfighter) only ladies qualify to elect that category).

That one sentence still doesn’t make any sense to me, so maybe it’s just me. I surrender and don’t want to discuss it anymore. I’m done. 
Let’s get back on topic!;)

8 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

SASS says all categories recognizes age, gender etc but then it says all SASS categories are open gender categories. So a man can shoot in Lady Gunfigter etc? Hmm kinda sounds weird to me. 

I didn’t copy the whole section before.

SECTION 2 – SHOOTING CATEGORIES
SASS recognizes shooting categories based upon age, gender, costuming, equipment, shooting style, and/or propellant. The age for a competitor is determined by their age on the first day the match starts. All SASS categories are open gender categories (there are no men’s categories). Base categories may be subdivided by gender to establish categories for women only. Age, gender, and residency are all to be confirmed/determined by the declaration on the individual’s state issued driver’s license or ID. Competitors may compete within any category for which they qualify. Each category has a set of standard regulations the competitor must follow in order to “stay in category” during the match

Randy

42 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I didn’t copy the whole section before.

SECTION 2 – SHOOTING CATEGORIES
SASS recognizes shooting categories based upon age, gender, costuming, equipment, shooting style, and/or propellant. The age for a competitor is determined by their age on the first day the match starts. All SASS categories are open gender categories (there are no men’s categories). Base categories may be subdivided by gender to establish categories for women only. Age, gender, and residency are all to be confirmed/determined by the declaration on the individual’s state issued driver’s license or ID. Competitors may compete within any category for which they qualify. Each category has a set of standard regulations the competitor must follow in order to “stay in category” during the match

Randy

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

That one sentence still doesn’t make any sense to me, so maybe it’s just me. I surrender and don’t want to discuss it anymore. I’m done. 
Let’s get back on topic!;)

My wife Calamity Kelly loves Lady Frontier Cartridge Duelist. And has shot many major matches doing so even when she was forced to shoot against the men. At one east coast reginal several years back  she was forced to shoot FCD until it was discovered at the end of the first day she was very likely to take home a trophy against the men. The next day at the awards somehow Ladies Frontier Cartridge Duelist had been added to the list of classes. She was also the first LFCD World Champion.

Indy

5 minutes ago, Indy Kid, SASS #4638 said:

My wife Calamity Kelly loves Lady Frontier Cartridge Duelist. And has shot many major matches doing so even when she was forced to shoot against the men. At one east coast reginal several years back  she was forced to shoot FCD until it was discovered at the end of the first day she was very likely to take home a trophy against the men. The next day at the awards somehow Ladies Frontier Cartridge Duelist had been added to the list of classes. She was also the first LFCD World Champion.

Indy

Wow!!! Someone didn’t like getting their butt hurt! 
Congratulations to Calamity Kelly!!

Scarlett,

When you get old enough to shoot senior frontier cartridge I'd love to have you shoot that category with me. At any given match I usually only look at my overall standing. I just want to know if I am improving or not.

I shoot SASS because I love the people, camping and the smell of black powder in the morning.

Tree Hugger and I are really looking forward to seeing you and Tommy again this year.

On 1/31/2023 at 12:19 PM, Scarlett said:

This thread has REALLY deviated from the OP.  

Hugs. 
Scarlett

And just how is that different than any other thread on the Wire. :P

Archived